Piecing together a G1 combiner team

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by werepolarbear, Jul 25, 2010.

1. werepolarbear

werepolarbear Well-Known Member

Just wanted to know everyone's opinion when piecing together a combiner team. Which piece do you get first and how do you work your way up or down and when do you get each individual robot's accessories.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    buy each piece complete, much easier that way, the main bot will usually be the most expensive, so get it out o the way first then just get the limbs as you go

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally always look for complete pieces, although I'm willing to forego small, non-essential weapons on one or more of the limbs if the body is in good condition, otherwise complete and a good deal. As far as the order of purchasing, I prefer to get the torsos first, but if I see a good deal on one or more of the limbs, I'll get those first and then pick up the torso later.

4. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    What he said.

5. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I've only got one G1 combiner so far and that's Devs who doesn't really have a main bot. But, when I come to start menasor, I'll be buying them individually and as long as I end up with all the bots in good to great condition with all the combiner parts I'll be happy. And in this case it'll just be what I see first. I'll probably start with the limbs, whichever I see on a good deal as they'll be cheaper, but if I see Motormaster with all his bits for a good price, he'll be mine. And with regards to building the combined form, Scramble City combiners allow you to at least have the legs and body after buying 3 bots, unlike Devs who sat in pieces until I finally bought Hook.

Buy Gestalts in pieces is loads of fun and really rewarding.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, my advice would be to buy it as close to complete in the first purchase. It will be cheaper in the long run.

7. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. If the response to this is "what if I don't have the money for all of them?" Well then pretend you bought them individually and put the money aside. A little self control goes a long way.

8. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    grab the leader (main body ) first...the combiner limbs are cheap especially if you are willing to for go the limbs accessories...which is all dependent on how you will display them...if you are looking to just display the main robot combined...then this is the way to go...otherwise it will take more time and $$$ to get each team member in good shape and complete with all the weapons.

9. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

I buy complete combiners ... less headaches that way.

10. jcard2005

jcard2005 Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I completed most of the Scramble City Combinders. This is what I've learned with that experience...

1) Get the larger robots first. Depending where you get them, they may have several of the pieces of the larger robots(fists,feet, ect) included.

2) Get the limb bots. They run around $15-$30...depending if they come with their hand guns.

3) Get Reprolables and rub-signs from Reprolables.com. Getting vintage figures almost guarantees you ok to crappy sticker condition. These new stickers will make your vintage toy look brand-spanking new!!!

4) Check the boards for great deals on figures and assessories. I would use ebay as a last resort..OR...if you see a great deal that makes sense in your particular situation.

5) Don't worry about how dirty of the figures are in. Many(but not all) vintage figures will be dirty in some way. You can give it some TLC and clean them up.

6) Get the small weapons last. This may sound strange. But if you will display your figures in combinder form...then the small weapons won't matter. They will just end up in storage. In any event, you will have the figures with new stickers and cleaned up.

7) Ask lots of important questions to the seller before pulling the trigger and buying the item. You can overlook the condition of the stickers and how dirty they are. But of course you want to ask if the joints are tight? Are there any scratches on the toys and on the paint jobs? If the figure has chrome...how good is it? Are there any broken bits?(trust me on this one, I had a bad experience with this). Does the figures have any "sun fade" on the toy? I almost got a Slingshot figure that has been exposed to the sun for years and the white was faded. You may have other important questions and by all means asked them before you get the item.

Some things that I've noticed.....

Motormaster is a little difficult to find complete. I've seen him go upwards of $70 and more on a complete one. It's possible to find individual pieces, but it will cost more in the long run. The hardest pieces to find will be the little black car that forms part of his chest. Also finding a good condition chrome sword.

Finding the individual guns for the smaller figures are really hard to find on the Stunticons and several others. It took me over 2 years to find a Dragstrip gun. So I would suggest to get those last. You can still pose them in robot mode and in large combinder form without them.

I completed the Aerialbots first. Simply because Silverbolt comes with all the parts to form Superion. The individaul limbs only came with the hand guns. So I was able to form Superion and put him the shelf. It took me another 2 months to get the hand guns after I got all the figures. I then followed that up with Terrorcons. Hun-grr was easy to complete due to the fact that most of his parts are easy to find online.

The hardest ones to complete are the Technobots, Protectorbots and the Stunticons. Mostly due to all the parts that come with the individual guys. If you can, get a reissue set of the Combaticons(IMO).

Finding the figures are not hard. It all depends on a lot of stuff.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    same

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generally complete pieces, or even whole team sets. If individually, I try and go for the team leader first.

13. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Not just less headaches - It also tends to be the cheapest way, too.

14. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Alternatively you could pray for a reissue.

I had my mouse hovering over bid buttons for some very high priced Seacons on ebay for weeks... just at the breaking point the news came out that Piranacon would be re-issed through BBTS. So glad I didn't bid.

I think it sets a precedent. I can see Hasbro continuing this trend. It's just printing money for them.

15. rework

Not so sure about that. Hasbro hasn't released anything that Takara didn't already prep the molds for. The Seacons had be redone a couple of times already, so we know the molds were available.

About the only combiner left in the pipeline is Predaking and I'm not sure if that fits in a dollar range US retailers would go for.

16. Thyme

Thyme Disciple of Yun-Harla

Buying on Ebay I would say Yes, buying from a Transformer collector I would say No.

17. rework

I don't know what your suggesting there. I guess you could wait for people to offer all that parts and pieces for a complete set here on the boards, but that could take years. Ebay is about the only place you can reliably find everything you'd need for a complete set.

There are certainly exceptions, but in general, if you are buying from knowlegable sellers and you want a fully complete toy starting with nothing, it will be cheaper to buy it as a complete set.

Obviously, the cheapest way to buy is to find most of a complete set at a yard sale, but that's not all that common these days.