Picked up Transformers: Exodus

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Rexidus, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked up Transformers: Exodus a couple days ago. I had downloaded the first 4 chapters (which are available for free) and read them like 5 times. I've been kind of doing a chapter a night but today I got past chapter 4 and just didn't want to stop.

I'm now a little over 1/3 of the way through (up to chapter 15).

I really like it. I LOVE how Megatron isn't a mustache twisting cliche. I would have done things a little differently but not much.

I know it's supposed to be a "prequel" to War for Cybertron but I'm just going to take it as its own thing. It's easier to accept the contradictions that way. Besides, so far it can stand on its own feet.

I wasn't expecting it to be hard cover either. I'm pleased with that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I want to find out what happens next...

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Just so you know, its not a prequel to War for Cybertron. Well OK, I guess the first half is. Basically, the first half is pretty much an amalgam of Megatron Origin and War Within, with details from War Dawn and State Games. The second half is pretty much an alternate version of War for Cybertron.

3. Rexidus

News Credits:
    That's fine with me. As I said, I'm going to treat it like its own thing separate from the game.

4. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    So basically, it's a book that may or may not have anything to do with
    a) war for cybertron
    b) transformers in general

I will probably give it a try at some point, due to spoilers I read about a certain one eyed monster and the experiments he performed on a certain [green] caste of decepticons...

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Oh it's definitely about Transformers. Here, I'll post a place you can read the first 4 chapters so you can see if you like it for yourself.

Here you go. Enjoy.

6. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Yea I grabbed it a few weeks back, started reading it and couldn't stop, I felt that it was a great read, but some members don't. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it Ryoku.

7. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link, Ryoku, I will be checking this out!

8. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Oh billcosby, it is most definitely about Transformers in general. Buuut, looks like Ryoku already pointed that out. Oh well, give it a try. Shockwave is absolutely diabolical in this book.

9. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep. I am about three quarters of the way through it, and would definitely recommend it to all of ya. I was surprised to see how close some of our favorite characters were having a hard time deciding what side of the battle they were going to end up on. The characterization is fantastic!

10. RipCurl

RipCurl I just can't get enough!

News Credits:
    Where can you download the first parts for free ?

11. Rexidus

News Credits:
    6 posts before this one.

12. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I finished it last week. It's a good prequel to a (IMO) G1-ish universe, with some elements from the movieverse and animated thrown in. My only real complaints are Soundwave's cassettes begin referred to as "minicons" and the lack other characters like Sunstreaker, or the Coneheads.

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed the book as it was a good read. A couple of inconsistencies within, but really fun.

14. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Very nicely done, I loved it. Worth the $30 I spent on it :D 

Should have bought it on Amazon though :( 

15. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I just finished it. I greatly enjoyed it. It was a great way to view Cybertron and become familiar with it. It allowed me to experience the planet and the war in a way that made it seem more realistic and believable.

I hope there is a sequel for it.

16. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I like the book because it is about Transformers, and has Transformery goodness in it, but I have to say it's one of the worst written and badly edited books I have ever picked up. It's like the author phoned the book in. Sure, I know a TF tie-in novel is never going to be considered high literature, but you can still have a basic grasp on prose before you write a novel.
    However, I am willing to concede I may just be a massive book snob.

17. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Even worse than "Hardwired"?

18. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a couple?!

This author obviously knew nothing about the transformerverse and didn't do to much researching on it either. It was like a D+ term paper, were he took a bunch of references and threw them all together to meet his midterm deadline.

SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!!!

The only person to get any kind of real character developmental treatment was Megatron aka Maximus aka Mosses.

Obrion Packs/Optimus background was rediculous! Obrian and Megatron went to court to speak with the "high council" who took a librarian/dataclerk that none of them knew anything about and decided to call him Optimus Prime after hearing a speech about him wanting more out of life. There's no description of him before or after in this book. Yet Megatron was clearly massive give his previous job before turning Rogue Gladiator but how big are Cybertron's Librarians that they can just up and name one their Leader?! For all that they should've just stuck with that G1 Aerialbot episode that showed Primes Origin because it made a lot more sense then this books explanation!

And it only gets worst since the author isn't sure if Starsream is or isn't a Scientist and other then Soundwave and Shockwave, everyone else just seems to be a forced cameo and nothing more.

And what was the point of getting all of the Decepticons strung out on Dark Energon, warning them about "Unicrons essence" if nothing happens?!

Mind you there are some good concepts in this book but the Authors lack of knowledge and consistency kills it. Yet Hasbro preaches that this book is suppose to be the knew G1 gospel and that everything will be tied to this moving forward.

But for me it left me scratching my head wishing I saved my $15 on Amazon!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  19. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Calm down dude.

COUNTER SPOILERS!

Personally I love the idea of Orion Pax being a librarian rather than a dock worker. It gives Optimus more of an enlightened background. I'll agree that being made Prime was a bit out of the blue but it wasn't completely unbelievable; especially when you find out Alpha Trion had a hand in it. A little more build up would have been good for it.

I thought Optimus had a nice character arc as well as Megatron. I thought their friendship was a high point in the book and both grew into the characters that are known. I would have liked to see a bit more distinction between the philosophical differences between Autobot and Decepticon.

It seems you are just nerd raging about the book. On its own its pretty good. I certainly didn't regret buying it. Heck I'll probably read it again at some point.

20. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You liked it fine but dismissing my opinion of this book as some meaningless rant will not put this book on NY's best sellers list anytime soon my friend.

There's suspending disbelief (hence me reading a book about alien robots) and then there's this....

Their friendship was fine but the fallout was lame...SPOILER ALERT!

I could care less about Obrien being a Data clerk. It's not what the author does its how he does it and like I said before there's no description of him...was he big or was he small? Did the matrix make him grow or was the data clerk already the size of Megatron? Hell what do Data clerks transform into? It's just "Hey Obrian, your Prime now so get out there and lead this war!"

The Dark Energon was a cool twist....but once it's gone, how do they ween off of it w/o dying? Shockwaves observation proved it wasn't possible when he viewed the test subject.
    And all that speak of it coming from Unicron so using it had a price made it seem like they were building up to something that would turn the tide in the war, yet nothing happens.... They just shuttle off chasing after Prime.

That and all the other little plot holes are what made this book such a disappointment. I mean it's a story right, unlike Bayformers you can't sit back and say at least the special affects were good. It's a novel so you have to pay attention to detail.

Which for me left more to be desired...