Picked up Guitar Hero III today

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Oct 28, 2007.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

man, havent played any GH/GHII in months made me suck ass in this one.

I bought the Wii version in Target.
    They had 1x Wii version ($90), 3x PS3 versions ($100), 3x 360 versions ($100), and 6x PS2 versions ($90 w/ 2x guitars)

Time to rock on. :rock 

2. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:

Does the PS2 version come with 2 guitars? Is that a Target exclusive?

I preordered mine from Gamestop (I got the PS2 only because my buddy doesn't have a 360 or a Wii) and going to pick it up today, but if Target has 2 guitars (or do all PS2's?), I'm all over that

rock on :rock 

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i only checked Target so i dont know if its a exclusive...there wasn't a sign that said it was....but it did say original price was $110.

oh yeah, the only thing the Wiimote does is (so far i can tell) is vibrate when your in star power mode

4. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Picked up the 360 version today.

Only thing I really dont like so far is the Boss Battles, other than that I love it!

5. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Got the PS2 Target version for $89.99 and 2 Guitars. Game stop's was only one guitar. It doesn't say Target exclusive, but it might be.

Thanks for the heads up, Omegs Scourge! got me 3 controllers now, so I can give the other to my friend for when we play at his house :D 

6. TreKain

News Credits:
    So I just finished it on Medium. When I heard weeks ago what the final song was, I was a liitle peeved. I take that all back now, the execution was nicely done and it actually goes with the story (yes there is a little bit of story this time around).

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The boss battle were interesting. I just don't like the fact you NEED 2 player to unlock some songs. Too lazy to bring this around....

8. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also got a copy of GH III for my 360. I love this series, and Activision's take is no different. My only gripe, and it's a stupid one, is that the singer's jaw is in 1:1 ratio to Barbara Streisand's nose. That thing is a BEAST.

Really? I loved them. I just didn't like the execution of Morello. Seriously, I'm at some seedy bar playing in front of maybe 100 people, and the guy from Rage/Audioslave comes up on stage to prove to everyone that he's a better guitar player than me? Was he really worried? I mean, dude's been on the cover of guitar magazines for for the last 10 years I'm butchering Barracuda to a chorus of boos, and he feels the need to show me up.

9. TreKain

News Credits:
    Yeah, the singer is pretty scary.

The reason I dont like the boss battles isnt because they are hard, just that it really is luck, All it takes is 1 right attack at the right moment to win. This leads to getting either pwnd or kicking ass.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've been trying to find just the game. But it's sold out everywhere. Meanwhile the sets with the guitars for all three platforms are clogging the shelves.

11. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    i got it for the ps3.

1. pain in the butt trying to set up the wireless controller

2. over half the online games i cant play, they just wont connect. anyone else have this problem?

12. TreKain

News Credits:
    Yeah, the network is a mess

13. ekocher

ekocher Well-Known Member

News Credits:

holy crap

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  14. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    So does the wireless guitar run on normal batteries and how long is the controllers normal life??

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Pick up the 360 version game only and using the GH2 guitar. I decided to go with out because I will be getting the Rock Band guitar and didn't think I need 3 guitars taking up space.

My little review based on playing the first two sets on medium (eventually 5 staring all but one so far).

The good is that it's more of what made the first two hits even though it seems a little harder and that might make it less of the party game the other where. The animation for the band is good except the drummer, he plays like a robot. I know the drummer is in the back but a little life would have been nice.

The bad is most of the new stuff. The boss battles are strange. It would have been more satisfying to win by playing better then this real life star then using power ups to make them lose. Also having co-op only songs is a bummer to me. I don't like HAVING to play co-op to get all the songs. It's almost like if the campaign levels in Halo where a little longer only if you play co-op.

Now I'm not saying it's bad but I think they left the window open for Rock Band to steal the spot light (see what I did they?) Comparing what I have seen from this game and what I have read about Rock Band, I think seems like Rock Band is trying to innovate while GH3 just put on a fresh layer of paint.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  16. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Nice review Buzzard. GH3 harder?? Going back and playing 3 it seems like its easier to me.

Damn. I was worried you would be forced to use the power ups during battle mode to beat the bosses. After seeing videos of the boss fights it seems like the bosses will continue to hit every note and the power ups are the ONLY way to beat them. Say it aint so!!!!

I dont mind the co-op songs. My sister loves GH more then Halo, and shes always trying to butt into my GH2 time now. :)  Bad thing is she is going to buy GH3 and I will be under her thumb if I want to play it unless I get my own copy which is kinda dumb considering she has to use my 360. Oh well.

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Well the one battle I have had so far I played horrible but by getting all the attacks and using them so he couldn’t attack me I won even though I missed gangs of notes on my own. And it might just seem harder because I haven’t played and GH in a couple months.

18. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Yeah, I just watched a video of the full song- and I feel sorry for anyone trying to 100% it. That just should not be possible. It's a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  19. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think most of those guys who play that crazy probably did sell their souls to the devil. That is some mean s*)%@! right there.

I just finished GH3 on medium. I need like 4 songs to get a 5 star career on medium. But other than that the game is awesome. I love the boss battles. Seems pretty easy though.

20. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I bought it for the PS2 with the Kramer Striker wireless guitar. I already have 3 other guitars, but liked the looks of the black Kramer so much that I sprung for it. I'm thinking now it was a mistake. It doesn't seem to be as precise as my white wireless official one, especially with the tilt sensor. The Kramer seems to be under-sensitive, at least mine is.

I have played through most of the Hard difficulty except for four songs (One, Raining Blood and the final Boss Battle and Encore, IIRC). BTW, Dragonforce unlocks when you beat a career mode, not before for anyone wondering where it is in the store.

My mini-review is I love the soundtrack and the gameplay is on par, but slightly less satisfying than GH2 to me. I hate the new art direction. It seems like a bootleg copy of GH, but again I am playing the PS2 version, so I expect that it was a graphical downgrade port of the PS3/360 version. Also, the sound mix seems low compared to GH2, but that may be because I'm playing on a different TV/sound system than usual. Notes that I hit are much less distinctive than I remember on GH2/80s. Also hate the blatant non-music-related in-game ads (Axe Body Spray, Pontiac, etc.). Frickin' sell-outs.

I hope Rock Band kicks GH3's ass. I'm ready for drums! Or singing, since none of my friends want to sing.