Pic review of HFTD Seaspray - Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deceptigtar, Feb 23, 2010.

1. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I cracked this guy open today after recieving him for my birthday(fun fact, G2 Sea Spray was my first transformer that I recieved on my birthday when I was a kid, so it feels like it came full circle). Both modes are nice and solid. The transformation is simple and intuitive. The vehicle mode is a nice update the hovercraft that he was from the 80s, and the robot mode looks like Sea Spray has been buffing up during the years he has been absent from the toy lines.

My only gripe is that the ramp doesn't flip up to close the back of the vehicle bay. I could have sworn the review I had seen had that working. Am I mis-remembering or did I that get dropped?

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Just picked Sea S.P. Ray up tonight, and I must say... he is all kinds of awesome.

3. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    I picked Sea Spray up on Tuesday morning... more or less because I was having a plastic crack jones and needed a fix. He's much cooler than I anticipated, but I still don't see what all the "OMG, HE'S THE AWESOME!!!1!" is all about. He's decent enough though. I do like the fact that he adds another good voyager sized robot to my movie Autobots... I mean, out of 23 movie Autobots on my shelf only 2 of them are voyagers. TFTM Ironhide and TFTM Ratchet. The good guys have gotten kinda shafted on decent voyagers IMHO. Nothing but Ironhide and Ratchet repaints and Stratosphere, whom I didn't care for so I sold him.

Meanwhile the Decepticons get really cool, original voyager molds like Blackout, Mixmaster, Long Haul, Demolisher, Mindwipe, The Fallen and Bludgeon!

Anyway, I think if for no other reason, Sea Spray climbed the charts in my book for giving me another voyager to stand with my Autobots... plus the more I fiddle with him, the more I like him!

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I've been toying around a bit more, and I discovered that SeaSpray plays off of Mindwipe very well.

I even made a small discovery: While mindwipe is in vehicle, the peg holes on the canopy of the jet that were meant to fit Skystalker? Seasprays guns fit in just fine...

5. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Is there anyway to tighten up his elbows? The right one on mine is so loose he can't even hold up his forearm.

He's a good figure and I like him overall, but having a joint on such a large figure be a pin seems pretty stupid.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I don't think theres anything that can be done for a loose joint crucial as that.

7. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Damn, I really need to stop passing this guy when I see him. I always pick him up, then put him down and buy something else. I better get him before he's gone.

8. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Can someone post a picture of Seaspray with Universe/Henkei Inferno and Red Alert?

9. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Finally picked this guy up yesterday. He's decent, but not mind-blowing. I like him, but his arms are kinda weird. He feels to me to be more in the spirit of the cybertron era transformations, more so than chug. The thing I really love is the tiny details that simulate rubber on his blue parts. It makes for a really nice effect. I just wish he didn't have the stupid open hands.

10. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    This guy is great. I don't like non-movie character figures that try too hard to homage the original G1 toy (Cliffjumper, Dirge, ect.) So I think this guy looks outstanding. He's Seaspray, but he's different enough from the G1 version to be awesome to me. He fits in perfect on my movie Bots shelf.

I like to keep his heels flipped all the way up, I just think they get in the way alot and honestly he doesn't need them. Also the arms are kind of weird. But other then that I think he's fantastic. An extremely well done update to the original character. I just love how the mold and colors are still obviously G1 inspired, but also aren't clamoring to match the G1 toy. The head is a great example of this. The fans are great, his whole vehicle mode is just fun. I love how you can have him holding his guns in his hands, or under his arms. And the flippers are just SO awesome.

So yeah, he and Lockdown are the only figures of characters that weren't in the movie that I like and own. I've considered Bludgeon, but I'm still thinking about it. If I get him I would repaint him to actually be less G1 accurate. I also want to get Brawn.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  11. jametron

News Credits:
    Brawn and Bludgeon are MUSTS IMHO.

12. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

How tall is Seaspray in bot mode? Specifically, how tall is he relative to Movie1 Blackout (or Grindor, or Whirl, or Evac)? I'm thinking of getting him to be Blackout's rival, but I don't want someone who completely towers over Blackout (like, say, Ratchet).

13. jametron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, Sea Spray pretty much dwarfs Blackout. They're about the same height, but Sea Spray's proportions (head, arms/hands etc) are so much greater than Blackouts... they, to me, would look funny fighting each other! If you wanted Ratchet to be his nemesis, the deluxe mold would probably look more in-scaleish.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comparison pic. It's perfect!

Finding a rival for Blackout is proving to be quite challenging. I was hoping to avoid a repaint, but I might end up resorting to get Whirl or Evac. Highbrow also seemed kind of small, though I'm not crazy about his color scheme.

15. jametron

News Credits:
    Yeah, Blackout is a great figure, always liked him... but in terms of scale, he got screwed.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Picked him up last night, I can not recomend this figure enough if for no reason other than the articulation. Hardly anything gets in the way of most joints while still maintaining a "stocky" look and he's got some very good heel joints to support most poses.

Alt. mode is still a hovercraft, but not as dorky looking anymore and the compatibility with other Scout class vehicles is a major plus for an otherwise cool-looking but boring alt. mode. Transformation is relatively straightfoward both ways, not mind numbingly hard but at the same time involved enough to get enjoyment out of it. The overall look makes him look like some kind of naval SEAL diver, which makes more sense for underwater operations than a bot who can't look over his sholders, and the colors compliment the naval theme with their relative subdued shades.

Overall, this is a figure is a great update to another mini-bot, and many people should enjoy it for their movie or classics collections.

17. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Blackout is pretty much a Deluxe scale robot with a huge backpack, really. I really wish they'd release a Leader scale of him.

Place him with the Legends cards, though (which look to be very much in scale with him in alt mode) and he does look awesome, though.

18. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Just picked up Seaspray, but when transforming him into vehicle mode, the arm tabs that go over his head when making the platform of the hovercraft won't snap together. They both go into the arm holes but the tabs themselves are misaligned and don't want to hook together to make a flush platform over the head.

Is this normal? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

19. jametron

News Credits:
    Haven't heard/read any complaints like that... mine goes together nicely. It is a tight fit though too. Half of the time mine are harder to get back apart when transforming to robot mode.

20. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    Yea, I finally got it, but I had to pretty much just shove it together. It stays once I get it in, but getting the two pieces to connect was hell.