Pic review of HFTD Seaspray - Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deceptigtar, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron but dislikes TR Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Hmmm. He's nice, but I am getting tired of the chicken legs Hasbro likes so much. Other than that, he'd make a great Classics figure, kinda like Lockdown before him.

His back folding up like that makes him the opposite of a Shellformer. One could probably call him a Panelformer.

3. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really wish the colors were brighter to resemble the g1 version - bluer blue, yellower yellow, more blue on the arms

otherwise solid mold

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    gonna get him.
    need i say more?

5. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

got one coming off the china hookup of ebay via TFCtoy...made a best offer of $30...accepted...so seaspray love and happiness will be here in a few weeks

6. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

This is the first pic I've seen of vehicle mode from the back. I don't tend to mind seeing robot parts on the underside of alt modes, but seeing his head there kinda bothers me.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Damn, he keeps on looking better and better.

8. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Wow, fantastic figure, but I was hoping we'd be done with putting the names of the figures on their chests, ala-Beast Wars.

"Hi, my name is....uh......oh yeah, S-E-A-S-P Ray. I like tuna!"

Still, bought on sight.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    The wait is killing me with this guy. I already have a space on my Classics shelf reserved for him.

10. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will most likely cave and pick this up to put with my classics collection but I would like to think I would have enough patience to pick up the eventual Wal-Mart exclusive with a more G1 accurate redeco, which only would mean changing the forearms blue, upper thighs yellow, and feet blue. Plus the flipper feet look out of place on a bot.

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Despite the chicken legs, not covering up his head in the back in alt mode, and colors. I'm going to buy him and put him with the Classics/Universe collection because he kinda fits there, but with a bit of Movie mixed in there. So I can't wait intil he appears on shelves. WOOO!!!!

12. Epic

Epic Well-Known Member

I'm not usually a fan of the non-screen figures,but I have always had a soft spot for SeaSpray and this is a solid figure. I'll definitely be picking him up and will likely start looking closer at the other lines I have all but ignored.
    Any idea when he'll be released?

13. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Just got Seaspray today on pre-release from Kapow (thanks Andy!). This is a SOLID figure. I don't collect movie toys, but this fits in with classics / Universe so well it hurts. Transformation isn't simple but not too complex (just how I likes 'em!). I'd have preferred the browny gold bits to be a more yellowy gold, but that's a minor niggle. Great figure :) 

14. jrxcombinetrain

jrxcombinetrain Just like combiners

News Credits:
    Get my Seaspray from china today.:D 
    He is a cool piece, have a diver-look,but i have to say sorry for his chicken legs.:( 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the way, he is perfect in vehicle mode and able to carry other scout-size bots,Wao!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for fun, i tried to combine him with depthcharge:) (by adhesive tape)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Who will be the next "big minibot"?
    [​IMG]

15. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    woah Powerglide is so much bigger! They do look great together. Fingers crossed Warpath will be next!

16. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Awsome, is he out in the States yet? (like NJ)

17. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ROTF/Universe Seaspray

Is it a Movie 2 toy ? Or a Universe 3 toy ? It's not clear. Seaspray comes in robot mode in a Transformers box that may have a "Hunt for the Decepticons" sticker on it or may not.... which really doesn't help you decide where he belongs!

As you'd expect from Seaspray his vehicle mode is a Hovercraft as per the 1985 Seaspray. At first glance the new Seaspray has colours nothing like the original - a sea blue skirt, white cab and beige/bronze fans. But when you look at the original Seaspray he's got a bright blue skirt, a white cab - albeit set towards the back of the vehicle - and yellow fans. So this toy is just making the bright colours on the original more realistic. The cab is now moved to the front and features several clear blue windows,a silver Autobot logo and silver SEA S.P. RAY details (also found on the sides of the skirt). The cab stretches just under half way down the inside of the skirt with the rest of the vehicle being taken up by a flat grey deck which can be used to transport other Transformer toys - a Scout or a couple of Legends should fit. I'm told there's a forthcoming basic designed to sit here but for the life of me I can't remember which one. Just behind the cab on the sides of the skirt are mounted a pair of black missile launchers complete with clear blue harpoon like missiles. The fans are attached to the back of the sides of the vehicle. The fan housings fold into the deck and out over the skirt, turn round on their mounts and the fans within the housing actually spin ! Seaspray's dimensions are 17cm x 7cm x 5cm. Motion is provided by 4 small wheels hidden in the underside of the skirt.

Transformation: remove the missile launchers for later. Fold the very back of the cargo deck under the vehicle. Turn the toy over and find the white feet. Fold them and the piece of skirt they're attached to out to the side of the vehicle - there's a diagonally mounted swivel joint in the skirt close to the front. Separate the front of the skirt, fold out to the sides to form the upper legs and rotate downwards in relation to the hovercraft. Fold the beige/bronze waist piece up over the front of the can and position the legs extending out in front of the cab. Fold the skirt behind the feet down as heelspurs. Find the hands - in the skirt towards the rear of the card deck, fold down slightly breaking what's left of the skirt at the back in two, then fold the hands, attached skirt section and back of the cab out to the sides revealing the head. Fold the arms down then rotate each arm down at the shoulder. Fold the panel on the back of the shoulder closed. Rotate each arm so the top of the hand face forward. Fold the remaining skirt sections under the back of the cargo deck. Fold the cargo deck down onto the robot's back and then fold up in the middle so the fans are pointing over the robot's shoulders. The missile launchers can then either be re-attached on the panels under the arms or held in the hands.

Seaspray's robot mode is 16cm high x 11cm wide at the shoulders. He's a good chunky toy that's quite different to the original Seaspray. There are some similarities though - a white chest, blue lower limbs and the fans positioned over the shoulders. We have a completely new round black head - replacing the old box like yellow one with a grilled face plate. He does still have a visor but now it's the same clear blue as the vehicle windows and lightpiped. The faceplate now has breathing gear detail etched into it - very like Powercore Smoulder's combined robot head. Twinned with this is a feature hidden in his feet - you can fold flippers out from under the feet to turn him into a diver which I feel is appropriate given his vehicle mode. His hands are interesting too - they've got the traditional 5mm hole at the centre of them but instead of a closed fist he has open fingers with the peg hole being moulded using the webbing between index finger & thumb. The wrists rotate but they're limited to a 45 degree angle between upright and pointing in. His arms bend at the elbow - there's a second joint here but that only bends backwards. Bellow the shoulders is a bicep swivel joint, the arms swing out at the shoulders, which in turn rotate and then lift up at the body. The head turns but we're missing a waist joint. We have a universal joint at the hip that turns and swings to the side, a thigh swivel, bending knees & ankles and some sideways ankle movement which is useful as his default stance involves the legs being apart.

Decent update to a classic character. Nothing mind blowing about the toy - the ability to transport smaller Transformers and the diving gear details are nice. But there's nothing wrong with the toy either, no Bay style moulding. It's just a good,solid transformer.

18. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think it is better to call the legs duck legs instead of chicken legs. I wonder if Storm Surge could be stored on the back of Sea Spray...

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I was hoping to see this comment in the thread, thank you. DUKK not CHIKN!

What I need to know is, can Longtooth ride Seaspray? :lol 

20. MrMark

MrMark Minifigure

News Credits:
    Got him today thanks to Kapow. The figure is good and very solid as mention previously.
    I'm glad i got him as the wait until August is too long. I think I will display him with my Classics/Universe bots. I wish the Bot symbol was red though. I'm sure Hasbro will repaint this mold though.