Pic request: Chrome flaking

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Aberration, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I've never actually seen chrome flaking in my own figures, having owned very few that actually have the stuff (only Primal Prime and BW 10th Rattrap), so I'm curious as to what it looks like.

A story I hear fairly often is that it's the color applied over the chrome that actually flakes, and that the gold or silver underneath is still ok. If anyone has pics to confirm or deny that, I'd definitely like to see.

Thanks all! :) 

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I could've shown you on my RID Prime. The small robots chest flakes off where Magnus clips on to form Omega Prime. The reason I can't show you now is that I found a way to fix it. As you said, it was just the red that flaked off. The chrome was ok. I used a red sharpie, and you can't even tell. Looks more mint than it did coming out of the box.

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll have to dig my TM Rattrap out of storage at some point to take pictures, but in that case, the chrome comes off the wheel hubcaps in chunks. Not just the colour, but the chrome flakes off to reveal tan plastic underneath (the same colour as Rattrap's robot limbs, IIRC). I'm glad TM Rattrap's been included in the BWX series, because my vintage one is probably missing half its chrome, at least.

I think it might depend on the figure, though. My TM2 Ramulus has some chrome chips as well, but the area underneath the chips is shiny and it appears to be just the top layer of colour rubbing off.

4. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

Red Sharpie huh, never thought of that. Now I'm going to have to fix those two small chips on mine.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

my ultramagnus from rid is flaking a lot. i hate it.

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Silver sharpies are your friends when it comes to touching up on some Transformers. I used one on Cyb. Ransack's key and now he looks like GF Gasket! :)  But without the black heels...

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'd bet a blue sharpie would fix it up like the red one does on Prime.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    wouldnt you have to put a protective coat on over it? sharpie ink tends to rub right off from plastic.