Physics/Realism explained?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Incepticon, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Just wondering if anyone related to the movie has ever commented about how they plan to explain the realism of physics with the movie.

I guess I'm wondering, if the TF's are in a comet (sphere) shaped protoforms when they come to Earth and are virtually skeletal (ie: Ironhide getting out of the swimming pool in the trailer), how exactly do they scan our vehicles and then go about creating extra mass on their bodies as well as things such as rubber tires, fabric for the vehicle interiors, glass windows, etc.? Not the mention the ability to seemingly "start" their engines and sound exactly like the vehicles they're disguised as.

I mean, in the case of Bumblebee, he's not just disguised as a car from the exterior. Sam actually rides inside of him, and as far as he's concerned, it's a real/normal car... nothing to indicate there's something a little weird or off about it.

With the amount of decisions & time they placed in making these things as if they could indeed be real, thus affecting the designs (not saying they're good or bad - that's a different topic altogether), I'm just curious how they plan to explain things like this for the sake of the audience believing it as intended, whether it's during the film itself or in hindsight. Or is this going to be one of those "gimme's" that Bay talked about - where it all just kind of happens and hopefully no one questions it?

Any official 411 or speculative theories on this yet?

2. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

First off, you think way too much. But you pose a good point. I never really thought about where they get all that stuff, the rubber, glass, and everything. Perhaps in the movie it will give a basic 101 of what's what, in Trans sense, but don't question it too much, and if anyone asks, Micheal and all those others are hoping the fans will explain it to everyone that doesn't get it.
    I for one say they're alien robots and if they can do it then they can do it. We're just simple humanoids along for the ride. Literally.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, inside the drivers area, BB appears normal, but take a peak under the hood, and a super powered compact robot part engine is revealed. According to the script. Also, don't question reformatting... It's the single largest plot hole in Transformers.

4. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    Molecular manipulation. Kinda like Star Trek's replicators. Still need to get the mass from somewhere, but that might as well come from garbage or anything...

And yes, I just made this up, nothing official.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Meh, just thought it could be a mildly more interesting topic for discussion than another "What Classics do you want to see next?" or "Why the movie designs suck/rule" thread :)  That and the fact that I'm truly curious. Being a movie so set in realism & believability, these questions are going to be raised. And rightly so.

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Hi Q's explanation may be the most "plausible" :D 

Add in some nanotech robots and I'm all for it.

7. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Great questions; I've been trying to figure out similar concepts for an alternate AEC universe.

Personally, I think we'll see a lot of concepts glossed over in the movie, but maybe some movie fiction will address some of these. If not, then we'll get to make up our own ideas.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nanobots + molecular replicators + unobtainium.

I also always enjoyed Arthur Clarke's saying, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. " Basically I'm prepared to accept transforming, and all the associated stuff like protoforms, scanning, vinyl seats, etc. at face value for the purposes of the story. I just tell myself it's 'sufficiently advanced.'

9. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    the script does indicate some nano technology...but keep in mind, these "aliens" and/or transformers, have millions of years of technology advancement that we don't. lord knows what they've invented/discovered. it's a popular belief that once we meet a civilisation far more advanced than our own, we will discover that all of our physics, chemistry, and astronomy books and knowledge are completely wrong.

10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They could always just take the next step up from "scanning" the car, and actually just use the car (or truck, or jet, or whatever) and its mass, keeping what's useful and abandoning the rest to make room for themselves "inside" the vehicle.

Of course, then there'd be the question of are the Autobots car theives...which could actually make for some nice non-violent conflict between the humans and the Autobots, who didn't understand that those vehicles belonged to anyone...oh, those wacky Autobots.

11. Poho

News Credits:
    nice reference to James Cameron's upcoming film.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sorry for the double post, didn't see this at first.

I know the movie folks have emphasized that they're going for 'realism,' but I've always translated that to 'bare minimum of apparent plausibility required for a summer movie as opposed to a kids cartoon' in my head.

Basically, you watch G1/A/E/C/etc. and the plot holes jump out at you. I just expect this movie to do a better job pretending that what's happening makes sense. I mean, Bad Boys 2 was ridiculous w/o giant transforming robots--I don't expect much more from this movie.

13. Poho

News Credits:
    LOL.

14. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

Sounds about right.

This movie will undoubtedly be as realistic as every other summer blockbuster. As long as it looks convincing, and the effects don't leave you scratching your head, the effects team has done its job.

15. Poho

News Credits:
    im pretty sure the effects in this movie are going to blow everything we've ever seen completely out of the water.

16. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Hell yeah.

17. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I dont think that IronHide in the pool, I think thats Barricade.

I mean alot of cons have red eyes and the sort, i mean it could be him,

But I havent read the script so I cant base it off anything.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Thats what I thought, but then again the head dosen't look a thing like Barricade, more like Ironhide.

19. Poho

News Credits:
    to be honest, i can't figure out what the hell his head DOES look like! lol
    the script says its Ironhide, but it looks more like....i dont even know. it doesn't have a face!

20. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Hmm, I wonder if its Bonecrusher???

I mean he has red eyes???

Oh well, we may never know until the movie comes out, but the physics sound ahead of their time.

Whihc makes me happy because I want to see some con and bot destruction galore!