Photography questions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Mar 31, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    been to the Radicon Ghetto (snicker) and saw a couple threads on improving the quality of photos. But it dealt with light boxes and tips in a wide, general manner.
    it is a given i am asking about taking pictures of smaller items like my figs.

so i got a couple questions and hope this is the right forum for em.
    first, I will tell ya I got a Kodak EasyShare C613 rated at 6.1Mp, 3x optical, IS0 peaks at 1250 and has a 2 step aperture.

okay the questions, dumbest to smartest:

This camera good enough for the subjects i wanna shoot?

Anyone else here use the C613 like mine and got ideas on the settings?

what digital cameras do you have and use?

thanks.

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

1) its not the camera that takes good pictures, it's the way in which they are taken (a bit of yoda like photography advice, lol)

2)can't help on this one

3) I use a Canon digital SLR and a whole shitload of other gear

TIPS:

1) don't be fooled into paying more for big Megapixels!! MP's are purely for final output quality. on a screen EVERY SINGLE image is the same 72dpi any image higher than 72 dpi on screen will only display larger than a percieved dimension. a 5x7 image at 72 dpi is the same as a 5x7 at 120 dpi on screen, only the 120 dpi image will appear larger due to the extra data held in the iamge. but when they are printed. the 120 will be sharper, and bettere quality, but both will still be 5x7.
    MP only truly matter when you want to print an image larger than 8x10.

2) ISO isn't a big deal. iso settings are left over from the days of film. they allow you to change the "film type" of your digital camera to allow to shoot in different lighting conditions. on film, each ISO film had an amount of "grain" 100 had the most, 3200 had the least. this meant that 3200 film could be used to capture an image in a very low light situation, and allowed you to keep your aperture and shutter speed where you needed them without compromising depth of field and exposure. the only draw back was that the less grain on the negative, meant that the easier it was to see the grain in your image. this is now knows as "noise" on a digital camera. a low ISO setting will give you less noise in your image in darker lighting.

3)Aperture and shutter speed are very important. they work together to allow you to capture your vision. aperture is the size opening of the lens, and shutter speed is how fast the shutter remains open to allow light to hit the sensor. working together, you can control if you want the shutter open longer, to have a moving object still appear moving, but your aperture set to have the image in focus. of vice versa.

The more aperture settings you have, the more control you have over your image

4) OPTICAL ZOOM is very important. NEVER buy a camera based on a "digital zoom" !!!!!!

an image taken using optical zoom is taken with the actual refraction of the lens, it is a TRUE capture of the image, only limited by the zoom of the camera. A digital zoom is the computer in your camera, taking the image from optical zoom, running a math algorithim(sp?) and assuming the placement of extra pixles in the image. the image will not be as sharp, or clear as one taken with an optical zoom.

5) for taking pics of figures, just make sure your white balance is set for what lights you are using, you don't need fancy SLR cameras to take good pics.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hey, thanks for that information. i needed that.

i don't want to be able to see if Bumblebee has acne, just good clean shots of my bots that i can feel good about posting.