Photography and Camera questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Optimus Kharnal, May 7, 2009.

1. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

I am considering getting a new camera in the near future. The wife and I are going to Hawaii and I want to have a nice camera to take pictures with while we are down there along with wanting to get more involved with photography in general. I am trying to decide between a Superzoom "Bridge" point and shoot Camera and an entry DSLR Camera. I've dont quite a bit of research on the available cameras but I wanted to get some feed back from the board since there are quite a few photo buffs on here.

I'm mostly considering the Sony HX1, Panasonic FZ28, the Canon SX10 and SX 1 from the bridge camera range

From SLRS I'm trying to decide between the Sony A200 and A300 with additional 75-300mm 2nd lens.

I've been leaning towards a bridge camera b/c I really don't want to lug around extra lenses around Hawaii, but it would be neat to have an SLR to work with as well.

Just wanted to get some feedback thanks.

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

As far as the bride camera goes I'd recommend the Nikon P90 or the P80. The reason is that the Canon SX10 and SX1 take AA batteries which I am none too fond of. Your image quality is going to be about the same between Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic (although you are getting a Leica lens in the Panasonic which is nice). The P80 is 10mp, 18x optical zoom, image stabilized, and an all around good camera. The P90 is the replacement model for the P80 and it has a 12mp sensor, 24x optical zoom, image stabalized, and all that. I don't know too much about Sony, but I'd still recommend the Nikon P90 or P80 personally.

As far as an SLR goes I would recommend the Canon Rebel XSi. It's a 12mp sensor and the best entry level SLR on the market in my opinion, particularly for the price. It comes with an 18-55mm IS lens and you can get it bundled with an extra 55-250mm IS lens. There is a new model out called the T1i but realistically it's not worth the extra money unless you're interested in getting an SLR with HD video built into it. HD video isn't important to me but you might feel differently. If you do want HD video you might also want to consider the Nikon D90 w/ 18-105mm kit lens.

If you're looking to spend a little more I'd recommend the Canoon 50D. It's a 15mp sensor but I recommend it because you can get it with an 18-200mm IS kit lens which is nice. You get an all around good lens, so you don't have to change lenses all the time.

One last word of advice. STAY AWAY FROM THE 75-300mm lens. The glass is crap and with no IS you're going to be pretty shaky out passed 150mm.

I also believe Canon rebates are now out so you can get some cash off.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I would only be looking at Nikon or Canon, period.

4. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

I understand the the Nikon or Canon only thoughts but the Sony's have been getting good reviews and I have always liked the picture quality on the sony's I have had and seen in the past. The Nikons i've seen are getting lower reviews than the Canon and Sony camera's and the one panasonic i'm looking at has gotten pretty rave reviews itself as well. but I appreciate the input.. just trying to get other peoples opinons so I can decide :) 

5. jtfire

jtfire Well-Known Member

nikon or cannon

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

This. I used to sell cameras for a living. DO NOT buy a Sony, they make everything.

Nikon and Cannon have been making cameras before you were born. Can't say that about Sony.