Photographing TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Erector, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Not sure if this should be in this form, so mods please feel free to kick it elsewhere if needed

*kick the baby!!!*

OK so I want to take photos of my TFs, but they always come out like crap. I've done a bit of googling and it seems like a light box is the way forward - question is, what's the best way to get one? I've seen retail ones that cost upwards of £1k (yeesh), obviously for something that's just for a bit of fun I want to spend... well, no more than around £30 :D 

I found this article, would that be any good? Or do other people have any better suggestions?

Cheers for any help :) 

2. al0324

al0324 Member

i use rubbermaid containers flipped to its side for small items. This site seems to do a nice job with household stuff:

http://www.joyfulabode.com/2008/02/11/diy-lightbox-for-product-photography/

i use it for my watch photography:

[​IMG]

Most other occasions i try natural lighting:

[​IMG]

if it's real dark, i'll try to use the pop-up flash, but i'll either stick a business card under my popflash (canon 10d), or use a business card to try to bounce the light towards the ceiling so it wont be so garish - takes futzin' around with (i dont have a toy image :(  just some more damn watches - PLEASE FORGIVE it's lame, i'm sorry, i just want to show an example of what the businesscard bouncing the light to the ceiling looks like:

[​IMG]

3. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I just recently built my own and have had pritty good results with it. I used the basic box desgin from this article, and when it came to getting the lighting right I referanced this page.

My box looks almost identical to the one in the first site, except that I didn't glue mine together so that I could store it easier. And I used three of the shop lights from the second article. The "Daylight" bulbs mentioned in the second one gave me the best results, I couldn't find the Sylvania brand he mentioned but GE also makes some, they were the only ones that didn't give me an overly yellow tint to my pics. Think I had about $30 US wrapped up in the box.

Once you're set up, you'll still have to play around with your white balance and exposure to get them to look right. It can be really fustrating, but one you find the right settings you'll be on top of the world.

Hope that helps :) 

Here are a few that I took, I've only had it for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are some nice pics BTW al0324

5. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

seriously this has to be the pennicle of gobot machine robo gestalts love em

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The link in the first paragraph of that article is where I got the instructions for my light box (made of a cardboard box from work). I have since made one from pvc pipe and fittings so I can break it down for storage. The light box, timer on camera and a tripod have helped my photos tremendously.

7. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I made a cardborad one, too :)  It fell apart after a while, though.

That simple posterboard one looks good, but does it hold the weight of toys? (Must be OK unless that Campbell's is empty.)