Photographers - What is your gear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Nov 16, 2011.

1. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Old camera, but I use my Canon PowerShot A650 IS for both photos and video (vlogs and reviews). This thing is my baby, had it for years now and it's done me well. The equipment itself can only get you so far, knowing how to use it is where you get results.

That said, I'm thinking of buying a Canon ELPH. Mostly for the 1080p video.

Oh, I do record and upload some of my vlogs (mostly the shorter ones, and the ones where I'm at stores' toy sections) just using my HTC G2. Which is funny because it has a "YouTube HD" setting, yet the framerate is pretty low and loses the "HD"ness of it all.

2. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I'm on the cutting edge of photography and technology.

I use an iPhone 3Gs.

3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I resonate photographic quality with a Canon Powershot ISI5.

woohoo~

4. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Canon: Eos Rebel XSi

Ef lens

White balance adjuster.

Weather proof backpack

8GB mem stick

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rocked a minolta dimage for the longest time.

Used to own a nikon d40. Bought it for baby pics but lil bugger wouldnt stay still lol.

Most recently bought a panasonic lx4(?) which took nice picds but dumped it for a canon s10 which is a true compact n close enough spec wise.

6. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
  7. TFareCool

TFareCool TFW's Camera Guy

News Credits:
    It is a tough little bugger.

If were talking about general cool cameras, look at the leica m8/m9/m9-p.
    Some of the best lenses in the world for these rangefinders.

The new pics of the leaked Fuji EVIL camera are promising. The X100 was good, great sensor, good noise control and a decent lens. But now it will have an APS-C sensor, and interchangeable lenses. I'd love to see an 'm' mount adapter, you could have a great camera for less than 10,000 bucks, and put some stunning MF lenses on it.

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    For the last year and a half I've been shooting with a Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR. I've got a bounce flash, a ring flash, several different lens filters, and a cable remote for it. It's a great camera for what it is.

Currently I'm eyeballing the Pentax K-r; DxO labs has given it excellent marks, and even reviewers who tend to favor either Canon or Nikon have praised it highly. Not only that, but I've got a bunch of lenses for my Pentax ME and Pentax P3 that are begging to be dusted off and used again!

9. TFareCool

News Credits:
    Pentax K-5 is fantastic, too.

If it weren't for the old lenses, I'd say get something else. Pentax seems to be going down the tube, it was bought by Ricoh not long ago.

But the K-5 competes with the d7000, and it has weather sealing and the whole 9 yards.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    The K-5 is rather drool-worthy, the weather sealing is a huge selling point as well as the the myriad of other tiny little one-ups over the K-r, it's just the price that gives me pause; I haven't been able to justify putting my own happiness in front of things like necessary home repair and paying down my mortgage and paying off my credit card.

Personally, I wouldn't light the funeral pyre for Pentax quite yet though; both the K-r and the K-5 are improvements over the K-x and the K-7 (two great cameras in their own right), the Q MILC is generating a ton of buzz since its Japanese release, and the 645D is a juggernaut of a medium format. Then again, these were all developed under the parentage of Hoya -- who knows what Ricoh will do.

11. TFareCool

News Credits:
    True, while Pentax may not have a huge bid in the DSLR market, they make some great niche cameras. Their DSLR's perform well, they just don't have the marketing or the 'brand knowledge' of Canon/Nikon.

The Q is very popular, although it and the Nikon J/V1 may have done better if they incorporated at M4/3 sensor. Plus they would have had access to tons of other lenses.

I do believe that the 645D is one of the savers, too. It's a superb quality medium format camera for the Price of a pro DSLR. Where it may not be as good as Say an 80,000 dollar Hasselblad, it preforms better than most people would need it to at a fraction of the cost.

I do believe that they need some more/better marketing, they do make some great DSLR's, and some innovative niche cameras. Their point of the DSLR's was targeted at the entry market before, with the colorful cameras.
    But I think Ricoh might lead them to a good direction. Maybe the development of more EVIL cameras, one's with larger sensors than the Q. Maybe an affordable DSLR that acts like the GXR? How many people would buy one if it came with a Leica M mount attachment?
    I don't rule out Pentax, either. Although my post does seem quite harsh. I think the future ahead of it might be better if they streamlined certain things like colorful cameras, and broaden others; like more professional cameras at a budget pricepoint.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  12. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I absolutely agree; they really do need to diversify their product line if they want to climb out of niche status and back into mainstream. Having just two DSLRs, a medium format, a couple of point-n-shoots, and a hybrid isn't going to get them the status they had in the K1000 era.

Here's a question I'd like to throw out to everyone: given all of the technological advances that are crammed into cameras these days, what features are a must-have for you, and which ones could you do without?

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just ordered the T3I. I guess add that to the "gear" or w/e.

14. TFareCool

News Credits:
    The ability to see what I'm focusing on. Like a viewfinder of some sort or 'peaking mode' some EVILS have. On a larger camera, I couldn't live without optical viewfinder.
    The A77 is very cool, but the EVF can be limited in some ways.
    Need AF most of the time. I could live without it if I could get a focusing screen. I could definitely live without it if someone wants to donate a digital Leica to me.
    I need ISO control (dial). I don't have it now and it bugs the hell out of me.
    I'd like weather sealing, which is where getting the D800 comes in place, along w/ the 14-24 and/or 24-70. If I can get that kit established I'll be good for years. And If I can add the Nikon 70-200 VRII to that It'd be perfect. Plus I could still have my D5000 and Sigma 70-200 as a backup.

15. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    I'll jump in, I'm pretty new as a photographer,

Just bought my first DSLR

Nikon D3100
    18-55 kit lens
    Nikon HB 45 Hood
    Nikon Shoulder bag
    and planning to get the Sigma 70-300mm Macro lens. :) 

That's all.