photo help- clear figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Orodruin, May 16, 2006.

1. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've seen it done, but can't really do it myself- yet. Taking a good picture of clear figure seems kind of tricky, so how do I do it? Using my normal set up, I got so-so shots-
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

For this next one, I held a light bulb directly behind him instead of in front or above, and photoshopped out the rest of the lamp.
    [​IMG]

It seems like it's mostly a matter of lighting, is that it? More lights behind/to the side than in front?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I like to have one above and behind, then one to the left and one to the right (the side ones slightly in front)...

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I donno man those look pretty damn good to me :thumb  Love that last one in particular very cool.

Bit I know what you mean about the clear fig's, Back when I did my EX-02 Sonic Convoy shoot I could never get pic's that looked as good as it does in person.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The way you have the light behind it looks real good.
    You can see all the edging within.
    That's probably the best way to do those is with some light directly behind them. Or like how you're doing it.

Only tricky problems might be getting the windowed areas (upper & between the legs) to a whitish to match the background. But your second pic it looks like a perfect natural match.

Looks like we should be taking clear fig pointers from you instead :lol 

RL I thought you just photoshopped your lighting, did'nt know you had a set up.
    I still need to modernize my setup. Its a mess

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why, Orodruin, they look superb! (If it's an appropriate adjective...but you know what I mean :D )

So is it only me who has no set up? No wonder I suck :( 

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I have no setup... Unless you count a blanket and some flashlights as a setup...

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments all. I tried again with EX-02 (had to do just the cab, my setup can't handle a figure as big as the combined form, plus Sonic blocked too much of the light) and it came out ok.

[​IMG]

I did the same as with clear Hot Rod, just held the bulb behind him. I kept the other two lights more to the side though. I'm thinking maybe some tricks with mirrors and flashlights to get more parts properly lit, but that's for another time. :p 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  its a setup, but it aint modern... I set my lockbox on my bed, a lamp on top... lay posterboard against it, and another on the bed... set a lamp to each side and have my camera on a tripod. its a trundle bed, so it sets up high.