Phone call from Neil Kaplan

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jon3pnt0, Sep 8, 2009.

1. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    My brother Voiceroy was at Dragon Con and for some odd reason they placed Neil Kaplan in the "artists" section instead of with the other celebrities/voice actors. When I say "artists," I mean like comic book illustrator-type artists. Anyways, my brother calls me while in line for an autograph and puts me on the phone with Neil. My brother wants me to impress him with my impressions, so I nervously put forth my best G1 Prime, to which he did the same and I quote "you do the best Peter Cullen Prime that I've ever heard... and I've heard a lot." Wow. I'm honored with such a compliment. We chatted for a bit OUT of character and he thought my story of forklift operator to voice actor was interesting. He did R.I.D Prime for me and I stuck in my Gary Chaulk Primal for him. He invited me to come hang with him when he comes to Nashville, TN for another convention... very cool. Later that night, he leaves me a comment on my Facebook wall saying that he was pleasantly suprised and glad with our little phone conversation.

And HERE'S the punchline, so my brother calls me later the next day and tells me the behind-the-scenes story. During the call, Kaplan does his best Cullen and says "Transform... and %*&^ off!" as a joke. So my brother bought me something and had Neil sign it. He wanted Neil to write down his compliment that he had given me as part of his autograph (because I told Voiceroy that no one would believe me), but he says "Can you write down that last thing you said too?" Through a little miscommunication, Kaplan signs my gift "TO: JON, TRANSFORM AND ^%*& OFF!!! Neil Kaplan." LOL! My brother immediately tried to explain what he meant when he said "the last thing you said" and apparently, Neil felt really guilty about it and tried to fix it! XD I think it would have been funnier the way he originally autographed it.

Ask Voiceroy if you need someone to back up this story! You can't make this %&*! up, LOL! :D 

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    mp3 or it didn't happen

or

cool story bro

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    cool story bro = tired and on its last breath.

3.0, that's a REALLY cool day you've had there, man. I'm sure you'll have a blast when you get to hang out.

4. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We should try and get him a guest appearence on Badly Animated :) 

5. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    well, when voiceroy's back online, he can most certainly verify my story. i told him no one would believe me. i can't even believe he remembered i was one of his friends on facebook! i was like, wtf? i can't even remember my OWN friends and i don't even HAVE that many! :D 

i was contemplating going to nashville to hang out with my stand-up comic friend paul curtis anyways, now i have even more incentive to go! :) 

it couldn't hurt to ask, right?

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, AWESOME story. :D  I was hoping NK would make it to Auto Assembly but they weren't able to guarantee the necessary number of pre-registrants to guarantee his fee. Hopefully he'll come next year as RiD Prime is a favourite of mine.

7. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    I'm a little farther than around the block from AA, so maybe if I'm ever rich I can come.

Dangit, I shoulda done Magnus for Neil too! :mad: 

8. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Congrats dude.

VERY awesome story. :thumb 

9. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    That is really cool!

You know now we'll expect a full report of your meeting when it happens! :D 

--Moony

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, that's awesome!

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Jon doesn't need an MP3 to prove this. I can verify it happened because I was the one who called Jon on my cell while I was sitting at Neil's table. I'm writing a con wrap-up report for Toon Zone (publishing later this week) which will include many of the photos I took at the con, including a couple different ones of me with Neil that I took at the con. Other voice actor photos will go up on my blog (linked in my sig line).

As I mentioned in the Georgia Sightings thread and the Dragon*Con thread, Neil permitted me to hang out with him for most of Sunday his past weekend at D*Con. I sat behind his table chatting with fans most of the afternoon and then we went out for drinks later in the evening.

Richard Epcar, who voiced Armorhide on RiD, was also at the con and joined the voice talents dinner event I hosted Saturday night with special guests Bob Bergen (voice of Porky Pig), Marsha Crenshaw (The Brak Show, Frisky Dingo), and Anime dub artist Michael Brady. (And again, I have pics forthcoming.)

Neil has asked me to be the producer for his "Traveling Voice-over Fantasy Camp" when it comes to Atlanta in the spring of 2010. I'll of course be posting details here when they're ready to announce. And Neil wants to do an interview soon as well to talk about his upcoming projects (like what he has planned for Optimoose), but I don't think we're doing that until later this month.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Voiceroy, you are one lucky guy.

13. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Thanks, but I consider it more "blessed" than "lucky" since it wasn't luck that put me in contact with so many voice actors.

10 years of writing for Toon Zone and my blog has given me the opportunity to meet and become friends with many professionals in the industry who have also helped to mentor and coach me in pursuing a career in the entertainment biz and as a voice talent. And like with Neil, I'm pleased to be able to assist them with their projects in return.

14. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Thanks for the backup! ;)  Did he mention when he was going to be in Nashville? You're phone was breaking up.

15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You could just ask him yourself, y'know. Aren't you friends with him on Facebook?

Only upcoming Nashville con for 2009 I know of offhand is Jumpcon October 24-26, but they only have a Facebook page -- no website -- and it doesn't include their guest list. There's also MTAC, but the next one isn't until April/May 2010.