Phobia against used toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Apr 19, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you have a phobia against buying used toys?

I have such an aversion to buying used figures that I cannot even buy mint in box from a trusted seller, it must never have been opened at all. For instance, I've passed up many good Beast Wars and Takara Transformers because of this.

Recently I'm trying to change myself though since the being sealed bumps the prices up too much to be worth it at times. Also, many figures are very difficult to find sealed.

What are your thoughts?

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Toy factories in China are probably far from hermetically sealed.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The majority of my buys are starting to become loose figures. I have no problems with buying a figure out of the package.

4. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    That is true, that's why logically I find that mint figures aren't as mint as I thought. In fact, it may be better to find it MIB since another guy has seen the toys and knows the condition in this modern age of bad QC.

Still, my mind is not logical sometimes. :) 

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Wow man... sucks to be you! Lol.

I'd be a poor man if I had to get everything MISB.

6. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I know that this would be a much more expensive hobby for me if i insisted that everything i got was unused.

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I need people like you when I sell my stuff. Please dont change.

8. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

There's a difference between distrust of, or even an aversion to, used toys and saying you have a phobia.

Do you avoid them because you think there's a chance of them being damaged/incomplete or are you actually AFRAID of the used toy (e.g., it's dirty or contaminated)?

Actual fear of them would be unusual and unfortunate.

9. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd RATHER buy loose figures.

1) If I have the box / package, I'm more liable to keep the box. And I've officially run out of room. I bit my lip and threw out all the bubbles (but not cards) to my RTS/Generations stuff, and some of my RoTF, but I haven't yet taken the step to do that with Universe or Classics 1.0, and I certainly wont do that with RiD.

So my solution as of late has been to buy loose, and remove the guild.

2) I'm going to open it any way and put it on display. Except in very rare cases, i don't understand the appeal of a boxed Transformer.

3) It's usually much cheaper.

4) If you're very careful and methodical, you can get loose lots of pieces only used in collector's displays for dirt cheap on Ebay. I got a 12 Universe/classics lot a few weeks ago that Had Universe Ironhide in it for $130... and he normally starts at $50 MOSC alone. So does it make any sense for me to buy that then open it? I just did the same with ratchet. Got a loose display quality ratchet (only ever on display), along with 5 other RotF and universe transformers that I was interested in but wasnt willing to spend much money on during release, for a total of $30. Individually they probably retailed for $12, $12, $20, $20 and $20, so I saved a lot of money. And on top of that, Ratchet goes for about $40+ shipping one Ebay.

So yeah if you're going to display your transformers out of package, there is zero reason to buy them in box after they've left the shelves.

10. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    It's a bit of both actually, but closer to the latter I would say. This is because sellers usually have clear pictures showing the conditions of the figures, as well as the separate components, so fear of breakage or incompleteness isn't often a valid excuse.

Also, I must say I like being the first to open my toys...strange though that may be.

Is there no one else who shares this disorder? :p  I seem pretty alone here. :( 

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I don't mind loose, but these days, it's got to be loose and complete, and preferably, good joints as well. In other words, the nearer to "just removed from the package new" it is, the better I like it.

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Why would I be worry over used toys? Its not like I'm going to lick them and never wash my hands. A good percent of my post Beast Era figures came from used figures.

13. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Wait wait wait wait..... You don't lick your toys? WTF?

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Really. How else am I supposed to get my nicotine fix, smoke?

That's gross.

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahahaha... That's one of the coolest things in TF collecting. When you first receive a package and rush over to the kitchen and cut the tape with a knife. Then you open the box and get that first whiff of smoke. Lol. It's almost orgasmic!

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Only if their not complete.

I like buying used, I bought some used loose and complete transformers last month from someone on cybertron.ca

17. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My only two used/loose figure I bought was a loose classics mirage on ebay mosc was to expensive and a classics skywarp from a board member here. Im same way not at all intrested in used/loose figs.

18. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I prefer loose as well....alot of the time the best deals I find are the ones that I can find incomplete and complete them myself. I understand your logic, to an extent, but only if you're going to keep them sealed which it doesn;t sound like you are.

19. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

Honestly, sounds like a touch of OCD. Excessive attention to cleanliness is common with OCD. Is this a transformers-only thing or do you not like used stuff in general (e.g., used books)?

20. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This pretty much.

I buy loose later if I want a double or missed out. I usually buy in lots to save money too.

I have a friend that isn't crazy about buying used toys but he can pretty much to afford to buy everything new anyway.