Phantom Menace gets the MST3K treatment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Star Wars

they just released an mp3 that has their commentary on the movie....i wannt get it but should probably wait till next payday just in case....

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy shit!! I gotta go and download almost all those. Especially x-Men, TPM, Matrix, star Trek, & Fifth Element. Got all those on DVD. I'll have me a party with those.

I already got the Living Dead commentary on DVD and have a list of other DVDs with Mike N. Commentary I need to go and buy. Also got his Reefer Madness one too.

They are colorized versions of:
    -Reefer Madness (I got it)
    -Night of the Living dead (got it too)
    -Little shop of Horrors
    -Plan 9 from outer space
    -house on haunted hill
    -Carnival of souls

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's awesome, I didn't even know MJN made those. I'm gonna have to download those once I have money again.

4. rattrap007

News Credits:
    This was new to me too. All I knew about were the DVD comentaries of the colorized films. This just sweetens it so much because now NO film can escape their heckling!

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Heheh, check out the political ads they made fun of in the "Fun Stuff" section. The Schwarzenegger one is the best.

6. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Saw those... great stuff

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I've never bought one of these. Out of curiosity, when you start it, is there like a "synch up" point that they reference or anything so that their commentary matches the film?

8. rattrap007

News Credits:
    well the thing says to listen for Mike's instructions, so I would guess so..

9. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

There goes 3 bucks well spent!

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

O_O

AWESOME! I've missed MST3k soooo much.

11. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

I can't bring myself to hear this. There are enough prequel bashers as it is, hearing more whining and nitpicking isn't my cup of tea.

12. rattrap007

News Credits:
    you didn't even listen to it and you are judging it? It is MST3k. It isn't so much criticism as it is heckling

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I was looking up MST3K in the wikipedia and found that site just last week. Looks great.

14. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Basically anyone who hasn't heard of MST3k it is as follows:

It was a show called Mystery Science Theater 3000, or MST3k for short. The plot was a mad scientist shoots a man, originally Joel but later it is Mike, into space aboard a big space station. The mad scientist has plans for world domination through bad movies. He plans to find the worst movie of all time and unleash it on the world. Well to combat loneliness Joel built some robot companions, Tom Servo and Crow T. Robot. They are forced to watch these god awful movies. To combat the horridness they heckle the movie and makes jokes at its expense.

It is a great show an I love it and still miss it. I suggest you try and find an episode or two to rent, then if you like it buy some. Time well spent. The movies range from Godzilla and Gamera (japanese monster turtle series) to old 1950/60s B&W monster movies that are about as bad as an Ed Wood movie. If the movie is a little short on run time they will also have to watch an old education short from the 50s or 60s. It might be on love, marriage, hygiene, industrial arts, or anything else.

It was one of the best shows on TV. Always funny.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Didn't you get the memo? The Star Wars name means that anyone pointing out the gaping deficiencies of those films is a whiney nitpicking fanboy, regardless of how poor they actually are and how much the person in question knows about the cinematic arts.

16. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I still have my Crow shirt that I got so long ago at Mall of America. I just wish I had they would re-release the Movie on DVD...

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I actually enjoyed the movie far more than most, but there is not a movie made that can't be enjoyed with the MST3K treatment. Even movies I absolutely LOVE need to be commentaried by Mike. If his robo-buddies happen to be in on it, that's even better. I think it should be a law that no DVD can be released until there is a commentary track with the option of running a MST3K style shadow bottom.

18. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Well, I'm not exactly fond of critic wannabes and self-proclaimed cinema connoisseurs either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though, I suppose.

19. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

They are not Critics or CInema Connoisseurs at all.

Have you every mayeb watched a movie with other people in the room, and just make fun or add your own stupid lines and such? Casue that is what they do. Usually they are horrable as hell movies, and they made it fun.

20. rattrap007

News Credits:
    again it is heckling movies. MST3k showed the most god awful movies known to man. It is simple poking fun of movies. They are not saying things like "oh this is a lousy camera angle" or "this script needs a major overhaul" or criticisms like Leonard Maltin or Roger Ebert. They are simply people who sit and heckle a movie.

I've got the colorized version on Night of the Living Dead with commentary by Mike. It is mostly poking fun of the movie (a great movie classic btw) but with some facts tossed in.

A movie doesn't have to be bad to be made fun of. Hell you can make fun of ANY movie. Citizen Kane could be made fun of. Pulp Fiction could be made fun of.

just because you like the movie, or it is good, doesn't mean it can't be heckled.