Pets and Mannerisms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witwicky Camaro, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but to all who own pets, do any of your pets pick up any mannerisms or quirks from you? Like, for instance my Cat huffs whenever I bother her while she's grooming (which is something I do when someone tends to annoy me), I.E., she exhales loudly through her nose, or she glares at me --- like, really glares at me when I ignore her on purpouse, and edges closer toward me. I'm pretty sure getting slapped in the face by a paw when I refuse to feed her at 6:00am is normal for cats.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

All that is pretty normal for cats. Having many many cats over the years, these little mannerisms tend to repeat in different cats. Luck of the draw I guess.

For example, I have one cat that HATES to be held or petted, but loves to hang around people. Another kinda grunts whenever you pet him and then when you're done, he curls in a ball and kicks his hind legs.

Basicly, cats are weird lol.

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have a couple of dogs that have quite a few odd mannerisms.

Andy is a petulant ass to anyone but me and the wife, and a few other people who are over often. Anyone else and he growls at and eyeballs constantly.

Lilo has a badly healed broken paw (previous owner was ... no appropriate words) that he shows to anyone new to get pity from. He'll walk up to them, sit, then raise the paw to shake hands.

4. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    If my girlfriend and I argue at all, our cat begins to make these weird crying noises. She runs to one of us and jumps up on a lap while purring. She'll then go to the other person and do the same. If the arguing continues, she'll cry louder and run out of the room.

Apparently, she doesn't like disagreements. (These don't necessarily have to be personal arguments, but even if we're discussing something that irritates us both and we raise our voices, she'll do the same thing.)

Our cat also likes "nursing" on fingers when she's either getting ready to sleep or following something disturbing to her (like a bath). She was born feral and her mom was killed by a dog at a young age, so it looks like she has some issues even though she's almost 4 years old. I always imagine that she's addicted to the feeling she gets when chemicals are released into her brain during the "nursing" thing. Addicted to endorphins (or whatever cats have)!

We also taught our cat to do various tricks in exchange for treats. However, now that she has learned them, she'll just run through all of them if we're having dinner and she wants some of the food. If you just look at her while eating, she'll sit, wave a paw, and then roll over (which typically means she'll just flop over on her side rather than going all of the way around). She doesn't wait for commands or a promise of a reward.

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    That's pretty great.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My cat Apollo is just like me... sociable when I want to be, feisty, likes to curl up in a bed while sleeping... he's my baby, after all.

Then there's my dad's cat, Sylvester, aka Puddy Tat/Silly Boy/Fatty. You let him out, and when he wants back in, he knocks... literally... on the door, usually very frantically as though something's going to get him if he doesn't get let in first thing he starts knocking.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ha, thats pretty funny. One of my cats (Little Girlfriend) will climb up the window screens when she wants in.

Polly, the newest dog (3 yrs old), has to place her jaw on my when on the bed with me.

Little Man, one of our cats, has imaginary sex with pillows and will snap at us if we mess with him during his happy time.

8. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    My sister's cat loves to eat plastic, wood, and yarn. He also seems to have an infinity for open books and will sleep on them when your reading them.

Heheh. Does your dog watch Scooby Doo?

My Cats try to open the doors all the time, most of the time they'll wake me up to do (via the slapping); I'm not in bed for two minutes and their back, wanting the door open. When I don't let them in the bed room, they'll stay outside and howl for hours because they know it'll keep me up. Cold as hell and they want to go in and out the room as soon as they get cozy toes. Arggg...

*Sniggers*

9. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I have a ferret.It got in a fight with ex-roommate's weiner dog.He's like a little Bruce Lee...with fur.

10. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My cat likes to drink by dipping her paw in the water dish and then licking it clean.

11. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    my cat hates being alone and if someone closes the door on her she tries to get under it and sometimes does it (good thing shes tiny) and if she cant do that she will do one of 2 things jump up the door meowing continuously or she will meow loudly and stick her paws under the door till someone opens it for her lol

and she hates whistling and will run and jump on my lap purring every time I do it

12. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

My chinchilla can hint to me what she wants with noises, like 'ooh-oohing' when it's dinner time, 'grumbling' when she doesn't like something, 'growling' when she does not want (and sorta biting) and 'barking' loudly when she's lonely.

The ooh-ooh noise is cool because she doesn't do it with other people around and I can immitate it enough to get her making it with me ^V^

13. trump

trump WWBD?

My dog communicated his love of motor vehicles by running around in traffic!

14. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

My dog Pepper will try to bury her head under you (legs, crotch, armpit, anywhere there is a little bit of room)when you're sitting and she likes to stand on her head a lot when she gets excited(rear end up in the air, front legs our from under her, head laying on the ground).

Also, when we get back from leaving her home alone, which doesn't really happen very often, she's so excited that her lip will curl up and she'll start grinning, while standing on her head, of course. It's just so damn cute!

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

That's what my cat, Apollo, does sometimes. He'll practically paste himself on the screen, it's kinda funny 'cause he looks as though a flying squirrel just crashed right into the door.

I know that feeling... half the time, I'm just about ready to fall asleep when I hear Puddy Tat knocking on the door, oftentimes crying pretty pathetically, and I'm the one who usually ends up getting up to open the door for him.

Once, he managed to open up the door to my room and he wanted to go into my closet. I ended up chasing him out of my room. Damn cat... waking me up too early in the morning.

Normally, he goes up into my parents' room, and he'll scratch on the bedpost to let them know that A) He needs to go out, or B) He wants food in the middle of the night.

16. LilithMorrigan

LilithMorrigan Banned

Mostly it's people being overly lonely or "into" their animals that gets them to put so much "personality" into their animals. It's just projecting.

We have a Dog, 2 cats, 3 fish and a Bird but they all act like animals and not like Sean and I.

17. Sideways

Sideways Banned

I once saw my neighbor's dogs humping.

They were both male.

18. trump

trump WWBD?

Did the balls touch? I must know for... science. Yeah, science.:bay 

19. newguy

newguy i

My brother and i flop down on the coach and my get does the same whenever he lays down. He also likes licking his balls, but im not sure why (there's cleaning and then there's enjoying it). Wait is that like oral masturbation?

20. Sideways

Sideways Banned

They sure did..FOR Science!!!