Pete's Robot Convention 2018

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by SHIELD Agent 47, Dec 13, 2017.

1. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 Skull Leader

RoboCon | Pete's Robot Convention

Pete's Robot Convention

Night Shining (@NightShiningInc) | Twitter

RoboCon, helmed by Pete Sinclair, is coming back next year, Saturday 9 June 2018 and Sunday 10 June 2018. Covington, Kentucky, same location as last year.

Yesterday they announced that RoboCon 2018 will have two custom classes. The first custom class figure will be Power of the Primes Swoop into Shattered Glass Swoop and the second will utilize two yet to be specified Pretender shells.

SG Swoop was never visually depicted in Fun Publications' Shattered Glass stories, but the Swoop mockup seen below follows on from the BotCon 2008 SG Grimlock figure having Trypticon's colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now from what I've heard, there are two custom classes, and I guess one is SG Swoop and the other is the Pretender shells. So I'm hoping they aren't scheduled opposite each other so you can only attend one (though I've heard people are already preregistering so I guess the answer to this is already known?).

3. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

From the Facebook page:

"Your options include Shattered Glass Swoop on either Saturday from 12pm-4pm or Sunday from 8am-12pm, a Pretender shell on either Saturday from 12pm-4pm or Sunday from 8am-12pm, and/or the two Pretender Shell option (two variations of the same shell) on either Saturday from 12pm-4pm or Sunday from 8am-12pm. You can sign up for both classes if you want to customize both the PotP Shattered Glass Swoop and the Pretender shell(s)."

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The price for the single pretender class is the same as the Swoop class. The price of the club pretenders before they disappeared was $50. That's $25 per figure. Given they'll probably buy the Swoops at retail and FunPub probably gave Pete a discount, they'll probably be around the same price. So it very well could be the club pretenders as opposed to Prime Master pretenders.

5. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this and I think you're good for the reason you mentioned but also that painting those tiny prime masters is going to be tough to do with people of varying experience levels. I think we're good to see some Mega Maximus shells!

6. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Four hour classes? Will that be long enough? The Botcon classes were like eight hours or so.

And is it confirmed that we'll be painting preassembled figures? How different is that from painting an unassembled figure?

Is the Pretender shell going to be a regular universe version and a SG version?

7. mcart

News Credits:
    If those swoop figures are unassembled I'd be mega impressed. BotCon got those as they were official. Pete's club is not. Yet. Maybe if HasCon fails it will become so and BotCon will be back in another form but that's pure conjecture and minimum 3 years from happening, surely longer.

Unassembled pretender shells would need, I dunno, 5 minutes to assemble ;) 

8. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Well, I asked earlier if Tessman would be teaching the class because, as a Hasbro employee, he could be prohibited from getting paid by an unlicensed convention to instruct non-employees in an aspect of his job, you know, the old "conflict of interest" problem.

Unless I'm behind the times and he doesn't work for Hasbro anymore.

And anyway, all these guys are friends and/or current or former business partners. I could see Pete asking Hasbro for unassembled figures and I could see Hasbro selling them to him. I don't think there needs to be a license in place to make a simple deal.

I'm also not a lawyer. Or even tangentially involved in the proceedings. :dunce 

Hah, very true.

I would enjoy having a Classics Grimlock Pretender shell to go with Classics Grimlock and a SG Grimlock Pretender shell to go with SG Grimlock. As that figure was kind of based on the G1 Pretender Grimlock toy. Even if he couldn't fit inside.

9. mcart

News Credits:
    That is interesting, I wasn't aware that this Tessman person was a Hasbro employee, I'm not sure about the legality of selling sprues either but I do remember hearing about how they had to ensure that the sprues never went on sale for BotCon. Since they just sold a bunch of those I'm guessing that was a condition for keeping the license.

Anyway, it's purely conjecture on my part worked from second hand information so I am certainly not the person to give the most accurate information!

10. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Shawn Tessman was never an employee of Hasbro. He wasn't even an employee of Fun Pub. He was just the designated volunteer for teaching the Botcon custom class for Fun Pub. He contributed to many ideas for the sets, including picking the characters and designs for the custom class characters. He's also been active in the Fun Pub GIJoe Club and has contributed to several character bios there as well. I believe he has offered his services to Pete's Robot Convention to continue teaching the custom class. Whether he is actually part of the paid staff of Pete's new Nightshade venture or not, you would have to ask either Shawn or Pete.

11. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Not sure why it hasn't gotten to this page, yet, but Pete's announced the Pretender shell. Double Pretender Gears.

Pete's Robot Convention (Apologies for using Facebook, which I know not everyone uses. I haven't found it on Pete's website)

Night Shining on Twitter Here's Twitter, if that helps.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  12. mcart

News Credits:
    So that's where the pretenders went from the TFCC sale ;)  and next year they'll be able to do the Megatron shells.

I was hoping they'd do the Megatron shells this year to give me a little inspiration. Ah well, I'm just happy Pete is keeping the customization classes. Come to San Diego next year maybe?! ;) 

13. SHIELD Agent 47

A visual for everyone:

[​IMG]

14. mcart

News Credits:
    So it's going to be a painting class. Darn, I wish I could attend that. My painting skills are not good!

15. SHIELD Agent 47

I feel your pain.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Kudos on the mold recycling, but...

Attached Files:

17. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I don't have this gears toy. :(  I wonder if they'll let someone do the "other variation of the same shell" even if they only chose the one shell option?

18. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    You could get repaint it to match Swerve instead...

19. SHIELD Agent 47

One assumes that Swerve's shell is the final customization class figure to be revealed for this con.

20. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    I don't have that Gears either, and no real interest in a Gears Pretender. However, if the class is just "here's the shell and the tools, here's the instructions, here's a pile of paints, have fun," I may try to do a version of this guy who'll never ever get a figure:
    [​IMG]

Also, I wonder what's happening with the Optimus Prime figures that were inside the shells? Pete holding those back for 2019?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018