Personal Dilema

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oddobot, Apr 22, 2009.

1. oddobot

oddobot carpe diem all diem long

Ebay:
    And yes I know I probably misspelled dilema...I think... anyways on to the post:

Ok, with all the economical drama going on in this country, I thought i'd throw this little nugget out. In March I had to make a partial payment on my house payment. I sent in a check for $662.82 (out of the total $755.18). I was told by a very rude "customer service representative" that I could simply apply the remaining balance to Aprils payment and just pay that (around $848.41) amount THIS month. Well a few days later I get a "mortgage default" letter in the mail, saying that my mortgage is in default due to 2 late payments. SOOOO,
    I called my mortgage company back, and talked to ANOTHER very rude "customer service representative" who told me that if I could pay one payment of $798.14 that my payments would be caught up. I simply do not know what to do.I understand that they may be bombarded with people trying to refinance and all that, but shouldn't there be someone that I could talk to about getting help? I only make $9 an hour and get paid every 2 weeks. There are no other jobs around here to make ends meet. My girlfriend is going to school to get her CNA license, and when she isn't doing that, she's keeping our daughter. So what i'm asking is, what are my options? Should I just pack up and walk away from my house and find some place to rent? Perhaps rent to own? What impact would that have on my credit? Are there any other options aside from the "jingle mail" idea?? I know there are some of you on here who probably dabble in circumstances like these, any and all help will be appreciated!!

thanks, and God bless,
    Jayson

2. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

how on earth did you get a mortgage on a house at 9 bucks an hour with no other financial support?
    I make 10 an hour, my girlfriend 12, and with our bills and rent(apartment) we live practically paycheck to paycheck.
    at your current income renting is almost a necessity.
    also, I know I should follow my own advice(what with living paycheck to paycheck) but this is why you have a rainy day fund put away. shit happens.
    as for your credit, I have no idea, but get out of that mortgage asap, that was a really bad idea at your current income.

3. oddobot

Ebay:
    well, it's the house that me and my ex-wife bought, so there was 2 incomes. But she got slutty and left, and left me holding the bag so to speak. I was able to re-fi once, but haven't been able to since.

4. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

ouch.
    I'd talk to your financing company and see what your options are.
    if you get another rude rep, ask for a supervisor.
    you're in a tough situation, and need all the help you can get.
    once you're out of it safely(if possible.) I'd def. rent.
    you can find some decent rent to owns if you're lucky.

5. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Depending on health care and stuff, it seems as if close to seventy five percent of your paycheck goes into your house payments. Unless you get another income soon, I'd say sell that house as fast as you can and rent. You wouldn't be the first to have problems paying for a house and your probably not going to be the last, so try not to be too upset about it. It's happening everywhere in this country.

6. oddobot

Ebay:
    I've tried requesting a "supervisor" it got me labeled a racist because I asked to speak to someone who spoke "proper english". I'm tired of being given the run around by people who are supposed to be trying to help me get out of this hole.All the local banks are backed up with people trying to refinance too, so I just don't know what to do.

7. oddobot

Ebay:
    and as it relates to selling, i've had some interest in the house, but people just aren't buying around here. It's a small town, with a minimal tourist environment, I just keep holding out hope that someone will buy it.

8. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    tough situation dude. not knowing your particular area how much is rent compared to the mortgage because that's a pretty cheap mortgage from what I'm living. anyways here's some info you can scan - it's all from consumerist.com

If you're facing foreclosure, you can call 888-995-HOPE and get free advice from non-profit counselors about how to save your house or at least minimize the damage.

Fight Foreclosure

Lack of Documentation

good luck

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You're not gonna want this answer, but it's the truth.

You need to put your house on the market NOW. Call a realtor TOMORROW. You also need to accept that you may have to sell it for less than it's worth, but if you can get your mortgage paid off, you should be thrilled.

But you may not be able to sell fast enough or even at all. So you also need to call your mortgage company tomorrow and explain the situation to them. Be patient, be calm, and most of all, be polite. I don't give a shit if you think they're being "rude" to you. Swallow your pride, 'cause who cares? Besides that, they might be rude, but let's be real here--you're not making your payments, which more'n a few people might interpret as rude also. They might be able to work with you if you are patient, calm, and polite--they don't really want to foreclose on your place. It's not their business and it's a pain in the ass for them. They'd rather square stuff away and get to the point where you're able to pay everything off down the road.

Is your ex-wife still on the deed and/or the loan? 'Cause if she is, you need to get that fixed if possible (a quit claim on the deed at the minimum). If she's nasty about it, let her know that you're at risk of foreclosure and unless she works something out with you, her credit is gonna get blasted also.

Then you need to look at the rest of your finances. You need to consider a roommate. You need to sell all your toys. You need to sell your video game systems. You need to sell your TV. You need to sell everything you don't need to survive. I don't give a fuck if it comes at a loss.

I bet you also have credit card debt. If so, you cannot ever go out to eat. You cannot ever go out to the movies. You have to make your finances the focus of your entire life until you are in a position to do otherwise--hopefully when your girlfriend has graduated and has a decent job.

Oh, and here it comes, although everybody rolls their eyes at me when I suggest this. Go talk to a recruiter--or have your girlfriend do so. Your mortgage problems will be OVER if you can get your ass into the military. Even if it's only Reserves or Guard you'll buy yourself six months of breathing room.

The alternative is to simply walk away from your house. That's becoming more and more common these days, and yeah, it's an option. Hopefully you can move in with your parents or sumthin' in that case, but yeah, you can pack your shit up and leave. Just do your mortgage company the courtesy of a heads up if that's your choice.

10. oddobot

Ebay:
    well...that last response was a little rough, i'm making my payments. They might be late, but they are getting made. I've been as nice to them as I can be. There is no issue of "pride" or anything like that, it's just an issue of being felt like i'm ignored. I've sent in my payments, and they have went through according to the bank, but they aren't being credited to my account. That is their issue not mine. The ex hasn't been on the deed for over a year now, so it's nothing to her to see me go down in flames. I do NOT have a credit card, either. I never got into that noise, if I can't get it when I want it, screw it. I have enough debt. I've no desire to join ANY branch of the military neither, I have a daughter to take care of. You might not "give a fuck" if it comes as a loss but sir I do.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna lie, I rolled my eyes when you mentioned recruiting. Joining the military just to buy yourself six months isn't a good tradeoff, unless you have a desire to be there. But that's my opinion. Sorry to sidetrack the thread for a post.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

My advice as always, don't listen to us random internet people. Talk to professionals, whomever they may be.

We absolutely feel great sympathy with your situation and our hearts go out to you. Well, not really, my heart goes out to you, but you absolutely did this to yourself. You got a divorce yet kept the house. Then you get yourself a girlfriend (which is fine), but then you have a kid before paying off the house. Your numerous threads about the situations that you have gotten yourself into leds me to believe that you're one of these "Oh crap, life is beyond my control somebody help me, but its not my fault" people. Sometimes, life is beyond our control, but you could have prevented this current situation. Sorry, just my opinion and take it for what you will.

Edit: Sorry if I was harsh, its been a very bad day. I learned that an assistantship that I recieved for next semester has been taken away because of budget cuts.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feeling like you're being ignored and letting that bother you is a question of "pride." If your payments are supposedly going through but not being credited, the problem might the bank's, or maybe you need to just send payments in earlier.

Don't join the military if you don't want to, sure. But understand that's a way to take care of your daughter--many, many, many servicepeople have children (my dad had four) and do fine with it. It's not like enlisting means you have to give her up for adoption or anything like that...

The military is a means to an end. Maybe you don't want to be there, but hell, most people don't want to be at work period. They just go there as a trade off for a house, food, etc. The military is a job, like any other. It just happens to be a job that unskilled individuals without other options can get a decent paycheck and benefits from.

Roll your eyes all you want, but there's a reason I'm only 27 years old and a homeowner with a master's degree, a truck I own outright, more in savings than the average family makes in a year, no 'bad' debt,' and a decent TF collection to boot. Not saying the military is the only road to that stuff, but it's a pretty good one that's more available than other options.

14. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

Room mate. Get one. A simple solution that doesn't require getting shot at in Iran, having your house repo-ed or having to deal with the customer non-satisfaction team that services your bank. If you have a college near by, advertise the good ol' "room for rent" there. College students are always hard up for places to stay and it'd be an extra 1 - 2 hundred a month to help you out. That might be all you need to get by until things economically either get better or completely tank and then everyone is screwed.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Okay, look.

Say dude comes on here stressing. Money or house or job or whatever.

And I'm like, hey dude! I got this job for you. You don't need any qualifications except to a GED and no health issues (and even that's kinda flexible). You'll make more money, with guaranteed promotions for the first two years or so, and considerably potential for advancement after that. You're virtually guaranteed employment for a number of years. They'll train you in any of a number of different jobs, many of which you can get hired with after you leave this job. They'll give you some of the best health care benefits in America. They'll pay for college or further vocational training afterward, if you want it. You'll get a shitload of other benefits--like loans for a house.

Who wouldn't jump at that? But then you say, it's the military, and folks are all suddenly hesitant.

16. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

I think it's a fear of seperation and death for a lot of people. In my case, that's what it is at least.
    I have serious respect for anyone that's in the military, but it just isn't for me.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not even that dangerous. Even if you get deployed, only a few jobs are regularly exposed to the worst stuff...for most folks overseas, it's basically business as usual. Hell, safer, 'cause you're walking to work instead of driving, which is practically the most dangerous thing you can do in the States.

Far as separation...okay, that can suck. But it's a sacrifice for a better future, for you and your loved ones.

Hell, I don't even care if people don't wanna do it. I just don't get knocking it, and I especially don't get folks complaining about life issues while simultaneously rejecting a very real solution from the start, without even considering it. Whatever, though. It's no skin off my back.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    ouch dude, i feel for you , but I think smkspy is correct consult a professional, and if you take Alexander Quinn's advice and rent out a room be damn careful who toy rent to , you do not want some sick o whack job in the same house as your girlfriend and little girl, if you can hold out til your girlfriend gets her CNA and geta job you should be okay, assuming she will help pay the mortage, what ever you do becareful as the consquences can be brutal on your credit for a long time

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    This is where I disagree; selling those things will only buy you a month at best. Its better to keep them, but stop adding to them. No more toys, no more games, online stuff or cable. Start making cuts. Military can be an option, but it is a major life change. Your g/f going for a CNA is great and that will pay off when she completes it. The roommate idea might work, but make sure you get it in writing. Stop buying things on credit, use only cash; buy things that are not name brand.

20. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    This is the best advice. Seek out a professional (financial planner, lawyer, etc.). Most give free consultations for first time visits. You can get an idea of your options and the visit will probably make you feel better, too.