Personal Canon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Does anyone else here use Personal Canon for their collections?

I.E. giving characters background stories and mixing lines into your own custom universe?

I've been doing this the entire time I've been collecting and I honestly can't see myself doing it any other way. I do tend to take parts and bits from previous comics and series and mix and mash them into my own story.

I have the Wreckers and Ultracons all gathered but with some members missing and some new members present.

Here's some examples of my Personal Canon:

Cybertron Wing Saber, now a Wrecker named Striker.

Energon Scorponok, now a Marvel like G1 Scorponok and arch enemy of Ultra Magnus.

Movie big Daddy, now a Wrecker named Burnout who likes to race and talk trash.

Universe Razorclaw, Universe 1.0 Silverbotl, Armada Cheetor and TM Terrorsaur, all Heralds of Unicron.

Anyone else do this with their collection?

2. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Yup.
    It's why I write a web-comic.
    :D :D :D 

3. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

This.

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell yeah! For me, I've loved the molds for AEC. And I mix them with Classics. It really makes for a large and new G1. Complete with Minicons (who can be Targetmasters, Headmasters, powermasters etc...)

MOST of the time, when a new character by name comes out that's a better G1 version (or a cooler mold) I'll sell off the older versions. For example, I sold Energon Inferno when I heard about universe Inferno.

I have a fanfic in the works and I want to make the AEC characters somehow upgrade into the Universe/Classics versions but can't think of a way that isn't stupid and cheesy.

5. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I do this also. Mainly it's the Classics Line with other figures in it representing until or if Hasbro comes out with a proper one. And as for my continuity its a smash up of after season 3 of the 80's G1 and some of Dreamwaves War Within and IDW's comics.

-Cybertron Soundwave (He gave his minions bigger bodies with the excepetion of Lazerbeak)

-Cybertron Battle Ravage

-Energon Divebomb as Buzzsaw

-Universe 2 pack Ratbat (once he got his body back he turned rogue cannon and Soundwave is looking to put him back)

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have A/E/C be their Cybertronian modes and have the classics line be thier Earth reformations?

7. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

I've got Henkei and Classics Seekers mixed together. The Henkeis get to be themselves while Classics Starscream and Skywarp become new characters. I haven't finalized their names, but I'm leaning towards Blastscream and Skyblast. :D  If Hasbro makes a Cyclonus redeco, then he'll end up being And His Armada (or perhaps Scourge).

8. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:

omg this is my canon for these characters too.

I preferred Ratbat being a central character rather than a minion and with his alt mode cyb Soundwave makes perfect sense, a tape player couldn't catch a jet no way. I'm using 2 scrapmetals as frenzy and rumble.

My canon is that Ratbat secretly recruited the Constructicons and a few others into his brigade, he then had them steal a protoform and he transferred his spark into it and reformatted himself into a cybertronian jet. After that he programmed his old cassette body to insert itself into Soundwave's body and self destruct, Soundwave forcibly ejected all his other minions in the nick of time but he himself was severely damaged. After he is repaired and upgraded he takes the alt mode of Cybertronian fighter jet and has his minions all upgraded as well and they head off in pursuit of Ratbat and his Ultracons.

I prefer that my TFs have modes that are actually somewhat sensible, hence why Cyb Soundwave makes the perfect choice for me, honestly what good can a tape deck alt mode do? Record someone to death?

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, cause I want them to be reformatted versions of the AEC characters. But trying to figure out how to explain why their personalities would change... for example Energon Ironhide to classics Ironhide. That just doesn't work. A young annoying rookie becoming a badass veteran soldier? Hard to figure out how to do that, but challenging. And other characters like Classics Mirage. I don't want him to be the Energon Mirage version and at the same time I don't want him to be a reformatted Tidal Wave... aaargh. So much to think about...

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Armada Thundercrakcer - Wrecker, Child of Primus, summoned by Primus as part of new team of Wreckers.

11. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Just like someone mentioned, I use my webcomic as an outlet to alter G1 as I see fit. :) 

12. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I suppose this is where my TRUE nerdy side comes out:p  When I display/play with my figures I mix them all together. Since I am a fairly new collector, I only have stuff from Animated, Beast Wars, Movie, and Classics/Universe. I usually pretend that they are all in one giant battle, after waking up randomly in another universe/dimension whatever you want to call it. It makes for some good fun though. I have tensions between the Megatrons over who should be the true leader, Starscreams who find it best to scheme together, and enough Primes to sacrifice over and over again.

13. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    I use TFTM07 Big Daddy as Sizzle, and Universe Ratbat as Misfire.

14. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

I'll take it a step further.

I don't have -1- personal canon. I got MANY personal canons.

Just depends on how I feel like using the toys really. Sometimes they're one thing, sometimes another, and other times completely different.

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Movie Bumblebee (Classic Camaro) Hubcap
    " (09 Camaro) Goldbug
    War Within Thundercracker; Metal Cracker
    Cybertron Thundercracker: Skyjack
    Cybertron Skywarp: Space Case
    Movie (sorta) Divebomb: Hooligan
    Movie Landmine: Cryomine
    Movie Ironhide: Trailbreaker
    Animated Snarl: Slag
    Armada Hotshot: Hot Tard?
    Energon Hot Shot: Posieshot
    Energon Towline: Skids

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Never did the whole personal canon thing, outside of when I was a kid and having the Beast era characters (which is when I grew up) having their own fights and adventures not taken from the series, I never bothered taking a deeper fanfic angle to it, never really cared to either. Props to those that do though, get some interesting stories from stuff like that.

17. autobotblaster

autobotblaster Y U NO!?!?!

i actually just started doing this in my collection. mines kinda like timeline meets classics meets universe.
    universe blaster- sonic saber (made up character )
    universe blockrock(blasters minicon)- as his power master sonic/divebomb
    cybertron prime-supreme comander nova prime
    energon wingsaber-starsaber
    movie breakaway- masterforce getaway
    custom nightbeat-nightbeat
    plus a whole bunch of others. i should make a picture comic:thumbs2:  .
    i thimk all collecters should try a self canon atleast once:2c: 

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can I be the nerdy English guru and point out that, like about 99% of forum posters (not just here but for other franchise lines as well), you've misused the word "canon" - you actually mean "continuity" in the context of what you're describing (yep, there's a difference). But I know what you mean!

Anyway, I used to assemble figures by my own backstory/continuity, but now prefer them arranged by series.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i usually steal ideas from FREEFALL, then claim them as my own and improve on them :thumbs2: 

20. Toadimus Prime

Toadimus Prime Well-Known Member

I don't tend to rename my toys (with the exception of Universe Tankor - He's Octane as far as I'm concerned!), but i do have groupings that would fit the bill. For example, I have a time jumping group of Decepticons led by Armada Nemesis Prime that were sent by Unicron to change key points in history. A group of Autobots led by RM Victory Saber are their opposites. The memeberships tend to change, but mostly consist of ofscreen characters (Like Cybertron Unicron) or repaints (Brakedown GTS).