Personal Awesomeness Thing Happened Today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Renidragon, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

My girlfriend has not has contact with her 4 kids for 11 years. This is a VERY long story, and ends with her signing away her rights to them when her oldest was 7 years old. This sounds bad, but at that stage in her life, she was simply not capable of taking care of them, and gave them up to someone who could. I want to stress, this is a long story, and trust me, she definitely did the right thing, and it was best for her children, despite how much it hurt her - and continuted to for these 11 years.

Well, though the magic of the internet, she's been talking with her older two, who are 18 and 17 now, and could not be happier. This is a very odd thing for me, since I don't have children, nor do I want any, among other things, which I won't go into here. Girlfriend, however, is high on life now, I've never seen her so happy, which thrills me. I originally was planning to have her and her sister go to meet her children first - while she knows she'll never be their "mom"... you can't blame her for wanting a relationship with them again. I've been trying to stay out of this for the time being - I want to let her build her relationship with them first.

I talked to her firstborn for the first time today. Turns out, he's a Transformers collector too - and told her the exact same thing I did when I told her about my hobby - "I know they're just toys, but I like them."

I have a feeling I'm going to get along with him VERY well, and I'm really overjoyed that, right off the bat, we have something in common. In fact, I showed him pictures of my collection (little outdated, but I've mostly just added to it), and he was impressed - said he wished he had one like mine! (also helps that we have very similar taste in video games)

There's no real point to the story. I'm just really happy about it and wanted to share. :) 

2. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blessings to you both. Hope all works out well.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Man, at the risk of sounding cliche and disrespectfull- Cool Story Bro.

It's nice to see some positive once in a while.

4. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    thanks for sharing. :) 

5. Echnalaid

Echnalaid Watermelons?

Ebay:
    Congratulations. Whether you like it or not, you have "son" now. Teach him the ways of Primus and all will be one.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Very awesome story in the very wrong forum.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Awesome!

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    awesome its good to have a feel good story around the Holidays

9. RodimusPrimeYV0

RodimusPrimeYV0 I

Awesome to hear Kinda like that new show that people reconnect with lost family members

10. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Ahhhh, Transformer fandom, bringing one family together at a time :)  Congrats

11. Renidragon

Oops, sorry... Originally the idea was to focus on the Transformers bit, but I felt like I needed some exposition on the situation. Sorry bout that, thanks for moving it where it needs to go.

Thanks everyone else, too. :) 

12. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

That some good stuff bro. Now you just need to introduce that young'un to the awesomness that is tfw! Hope stuff works out.

13. Renidragon

Gonna try. ;) 

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    A few days ago, I was told a similar story about a parent reuniting with their kids. Not such a happy story.

Anyway the person who wound up looking after the mother's children had some bitterness to the mother. Raising kids can be a lot of work, and it was basically felt that the mother had abandoned the children for selfish reasons, and "now she thinks she can waltz back in and pick up where she left off".

But it gets worse. Feelings were so strong that one of these women cut the face of the other with a razor blade permanently scarring her.

I'm sure your case won't be so crazy, but just be aware that there are often underlying tensions in these situations.

15. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Nice. :thumb 

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I hope they found your girlfriend and not her finding them - if it's the latter, you could be looking at some very serious legal troubles should their adoptive parents find out.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

That's terrific! Hope things continue to go well. :D 

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Not if the kids are 18 now. Under 18 yeah.

19. Renidragon

Well, she found her oldest via facebook. He connected her with her second - who's 17. He contacted her, though, and the foster parents seem OK with it. When the eldest (they all still live with the foster parents) asked about her coming to see them, he said his mom "didn't care"... sounds like she's not terribly happy about it, but it's what those two want, and while the second isn't 18 yet, he definitely seems mature enough to make his own decision.

This delves into the details of the kids' adoption - the foster parent(s? don't know the details) abruptly cut all contact - letters and gifts marked Return to Sender, etc, and a statement (probably via phone, again, I don't know, I don't like to bring it up) that "they need to move on with their lives"... I don't really have a very high opinion of these fosters... but the two she's been talking to seem like good kids... the elder seems very mature for his age, and the 17 year old... is a 17 year old. ;) 

She's playing it carefully though. She wants to see ALL of them, of course, but she's completely willing to play it by the foster's rules. She was planning on meeting the elder two (with permission) at a McDonald's for lunch.

This is a case where I actually hate being the voice of reason, but I'm doing my best to help her keep her head on straight when she starts getting too excited. I hate to rain on her parade, but we both know we don't want any trouble.

Yes, I'm aware of this... we're about 3 hours away from where her kids live, and so far, the plan is, when they can arrange a visit, is for my girlfriend and her sister to go... I'd like to now, especially after finding out how much in common I have with the oldest, but I feel that it's more appropriate for them to go first. I think I'll leave it up to whoever she'll be meeting whether or not I'll be going the first time. Unlike your story, though, my girlfriend's not looking to take her kids back over... she just wants to have a relationship with them again. That's all she's ever wanted. And her sister (and me, of course) would never let such a thing happen.