Persona 4

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by QuinJester, Dec 11, 2008.

1. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Phew. I finally got this in the mail today and it promptly ate up the remainder of my day after work. Anyone else pick this up? Anyone on the fence about whether they should? The voice acting is kinda shaky at times, but oooooooooh it's so good. The difficulty hasn't been dialed down at all from 3, either, even with the ability to directly control party members.

Things that have definitely made it tougher: You can't analyze enemies to get their weaknesses and attacks (at least, not at first. Maybe you can do that later), you just have to wail on them and figure them out by trial and error, which can lead to some painful weakness strikes on your part. Also, if an enemy uses an all-party attack, it only has to crit or get a weakness strike on ONE member to give them an additional strike, which can get really painful, really quickly.

Overall, I'm highly satisfied with it so far, even though I've only just been able to tear myself away from it after a game over at the hands of the first dungeon miniboss. Good times.

2. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I dunno. I was never a fan of Persona to begin with, but after the rave reviews I picked up Persona 3 FES. I played it... and after 70 hours was bored with it. Especially since the last 40 hours was just me grinding while doing something else pretty much. Someday I'll go back and finish up the main quest, but multiple go throughs just not my thing. But getting back on topic, no I don't think I'll even get this at all.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Too bad that you lost interest, still, it's pretty telling that you spent 70 hours on a game that you didn't really enjoy :lol . Not an easy feat for a game to pull off. I ended up putting about 93 into the first playthrough, and got stonewalled in the "Answer" mini-sequel included on FES before finally giving in and playing something else. The Answer was purely dungeon crawling and battling, which really was like the weakest part of P3.

P4, what I've played so far, definitely isn't disappointing me in the slightest. The soundtrack is just as rocking as the last one (with a couple songs that have already wormed their way into my brain), and the main character is a little less cold and unremarkable than the MC was in 3. There's definitely a greater feeling of control, both over your own character's development and the actions of your party members, which is nice.

Am I really the only person playing this in the TFW videogame forum? :lol 

Or are all the people who are playing it too busy ... uh... playing... to respond? :p 

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I played part 1 and loved it. Can I play this one without knowledge of 2 and 3? This bloody game got a 9.0 at IGN. I want it but I don't want to be lost.

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    There are no plot connections between Persona 4 and any previous personas. The same goes for 3. They're both stand alone games. The only constant is the Persona summoning system and Igor, the guy who runs the Velvet Room and is kind of like a "hand of fate" style character.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I might seriously check this out after I put a few more hours into Fallout. P4 looks amazing and the reviewers are raving about it. That and I loved P1 on PS1.

7. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got this in while I was in the midst of getting 100% completion on GTAIV. I busted up my hand when I punched a glass fixture, and my right hand was limited to what it could do. Persona was the only game I could play, and this was during a time I had nothing much to do. Plus I'm trying to get out of the habit of stopping games midway before finishing them.

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Anyone who isn't playing this is seriously missing out on some of the most hilariously awesome dialogue ever.

I thought I was going to die when they introduced the dungeon level for the "badass" biker guy, Kanji. Die.

A big initial hurdle for the battle in this game was getting used to the changes in "One more time" criteria for your attacks; in P3, an area of effect spell had to knock down ALL of the enemies to give you a second attack, and a knocked down enemy lost its next turn. Now, an AOE only has to knock down ONE enemy to give you a second go, which means personas with multiple element "Ma" spells are "go again" spamming nukes. The tradeoff is that the same goes for the enemies, meaning a single enemy can do stupidly huge amounts of damage to your party and even kill a full health main character in a single turn if you've got the wrong element resistance persona equipped. Nasty stuff, but it makes the mixed-weakness encounters a more of a bonus than a hurdle, like they were in 3.

9. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

zombie thread BETTER GET YO PILLS!
    wow, I'm surprised no one else has played this game!
    I'm about 75 hours into my first playthrough, and made about 74% of the persona possible so far. just got done with the heaven dungeon and did a few social links. came to find out that after a couple more days to finish up two of the arcana I fell behind on that don;'t rank up automatically.(temperance at rank 8 and sun at rank 9) I'll have maxed all the social links in one go through :) 
    too bad you don't get a reward for doing so :( 
    this is FAR better than P3:FES, and I LOVED that game. the characters are a lot more fleshed out, the social links are more tightly knit together and leave you feeling really attached to both the party members AND a lot of the NPC's. I love Kanji :3. the story's really good too, even if it does get a little Death Note at points (He's the killer! No, He's the killer! No wait...etc. etc.)
    The MC is a lot warmer, and practically has a personality even though he doesn't say anything, save for battle.
    The fights are HARD. the void dungeon boss, and the heaven boss wanted to make me pull my hair out! Even some of the regular enemies are practically worthy of being bosses. those floating priest dudes enshrouded in a cube of cards that spammed Megidolaon in Heaven made me want to shoot myself in the face lol. Probably the only thing I don't like about the game is the grinding. I usually spend time gaining 10-12 levels a dungeon. sometimes more. It makes for fun times though once you take all the money you accumulated as well as all the persona cards you got to igor and fuse away :) 
    Also, Nanako <3
    Yea, to anyone who hasn't picked this up yet, please do. It's an awesome game, and for people that trust reviews, a PS2 game that can beat out next gen games as game of the month( it got it when it came out in EGM, scored really high in GI, and as you can see, got a 90% on IGN) is a pretty good testament to how good a game can be.

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Word up dogs of the AMS, I just started this, 2 hours in. First JPRG since FFVIII, which was shit.

This is already 10 times the game that POS was. CHIE!

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I just placed an order for Persona 4 since it was very cheap and I remember reading rave reviews, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've never even played a Persona game before so its gonna be all new to me.

What other game is it like? Hoping Skies or Arcadia/Grandia 2 style.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I'm just finishing this game now. I'm late. Whatever.

The "true ending" is right around the corner. Who all did you take on your Christmas Eve date?

13. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

You say you're closing on the true ending - have you avoided spoilers? What part of the game are you at?

14. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    I've confronted and beaten "that person" and the follow up fight, talked with my friends, refused to go home, and done the follow up investigation. I'm in the end-game, no more leaving the TV part.

I had a toss up between Yukiko and Naoto (cause I did the option that gets you the more interesting ending for her), but I went with Yukiko. Sounds lame, but of all the relationship endings, hers seems the most genuine except perhaps for Ai's VERY last meeting dialog.

15. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I liked Yukiko's character as well, no shame in that. I was never much of a fan of Naoto, especially since her Persona is kind of useless.

16. Counterpunch?

Ebay:
    I liked that Naoto is so forthright with you as her link progresses. Were you aware that her Christmas date has her dress up in the girl's uniform?

The original Japanese for getting that to happen is really interesting. Check it out in the Gamefaqs big faq on the matter if you haven't already.

I'm really dumbfounded at how enjoyable these games are and the ways that they trigger a certain degree of introspection. It's honestly refreshing.

17. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Have you played any other SMT games? While they're WHOLLY different from the Persona series, Digital Devil Saga 1&2 and Nocturne have probably been some of the most thought provoking RPGs I've ever played. A stark contrast to the flashier Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests of the world.

grumbleI just have to get a certain gogdog to get around to finish playing themgrumble

18. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Naoto or gtfo.

PS, I should probably return QuinJeser's copy I borrowed a year ago. :redface2:  Oh yeah, BOTCON!

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    ... do you still have it? I thought you sent that back already? Goddamn it, I can't keep track.

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    That was P3. :)  You finally played The Answer after I made you.