Perment Fix for Titanium Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Terrorcon0, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    Hey all I was doing some thinking about how I could beef up the elbow joits on Titanium Megs. So as the mind began to find was to solve this floppy problem. I read earlier that a guy used nail polish to beef up the joints but in time nail polish chips away and that is a temp fix. I have tons of glues and epoxies and the one that work to make the joint tight was Krazy Glue and only Krazy Glue. Do not use Super Glue is does not have the same features as Krazy does. First Super Glue dries to a white haze were Krazy dries clear. The Krazy Glue to buy is pen the one with the red long cap. Now to fix the problem and to make it perm you first need a sheet of notebook paper. Then take the pen and apply some to the paper and make sure some of the glue comes out just don't glue the paper to the desk your working on. Then scribble a bit of the glue tip all over the ball joint in a circle pattern so that the glue creates texture on the ball. Don't push the pen tip in just let glue be on the end of the tip as you scribble around on the joint. Use the glue on the paper to beef up the joints. Then wait about 15 minutes for the glue to cure completely. Then repeat one more time or until the joint is tightened to the way you want it. It worked with my Megatron. I am going to see if I can do the same for the arms on my prime since they don't really pose and stay. That will be another post if I succeed. Remember Krazy Glue Pen not Super Glue... Hope this help some of you Transfans. I like Megatron He can pose like he should well in the arms any way.

:lolol  :lolol  :lolol  KRAZY GLUE!!!

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I haven't found him yet, but when I do I've already come up with a way to make sure mine isn't going to fall apart. I'm not going to waste $15 by buying him. :p 

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Clear nail polish and Krazy Glue are bad, bad things to apply to toys. Especially plastic areas of a toy. Both contain acidic properties and will slowly, but surely, eat away at the areas they are applied to. Though it will take time for such effects to become noticeable.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

The best way to fix Titanium megs is to put him back in the box and return him to the store and buy TWW Titaniam Op.

That line has some horrible-looking pegwarms on its way.

5. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Titanium Prime is far from perfect either.

I added two tiny washer to the body-side pivots of Megatron's hip parts to provide fricton, which worked fine. A clear, soft plastic washer was placed inside the arm to stiffen up the machine gun, and the left elbow with a slight application of superglue, then keep moving the join until dry. The same washer trick was used to stiffen the toe pivots.

The rest of the joints on mine were acceptably solid as is.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Not so much.

The paint they use on Transformers? It's lacquer.

Nail polish? It's lacquer. Low grade lacquer, but lacquer.

Why use lacquer, one of the most toxic known paints? Because its toxicity bites into the plastic, eating at the top layer while it's wet, and as it dries it forms a permanent bond to the top layers of plastic. Once it's fully cured, with really high-quality lacquers somewhere a few weeks out, there is no further chemical modification of the paint of the plastic beneath it.

Now, if you were to find some strange way to make sure that the nail polish or super glue or krazy glue or whatever never cured, and I'm sure that's chemically possible somehow, then yes, you'd have a HELL of a time keeping the plastic in one piece long term. I mean, if you soak a plastic part in lacquer, it'll eat the plastic. But, if you coat the plastic lightly in lacquer, and let it dry, it'll cure smooth. It's a question of degrees.

How do I know this? Ever painted a plastic model? It's suggested you use a good quality primer before painting a model. Why? A good quality primer will be either a lacquer, or a lacquer like product. Forms a permanent bond with the plastic, and once cured will no longer affect the plastic beneath it. In fact, it will protect it from whatever elements come in contact with the no lacquer covered surface.

Now, there are lacquer products out there that never fully cure. Like the paint used on good guitars. The surface layer cures, but the under layers are always somewhat pliable (to allow for wood expansion/contraction in temperature fluctuations). Don't use that on plastic. Any other type of "biting" chemical that cures fully? It's fine. It's only during the moment of initial contact that you have to worry about warping the plastic. Once dry and cured, it won't cause further changes.