Perhaps you can help me (with Diabetes)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toxinom, May 9, 2009.

1. toxinom

toxinom Megatron Supremacist

Greetings there. I recently found out (Blood test Firday the 1st results the 7th) that I have Diabetes. At his point they say that my blood sugar level was 13 when msot doctors say it should only be 6 or 7. We are thinking it is Type 2

At this point i have changed my diet drasticly, have started taking at least 1 30 minute walk each day. I also have started watching my carbs. I was just wondering if there is anyone here who can offer me some advice on exercise or diets etc;.

Our doctor seems to be some-wat incompitant in my own opinian- althought I keep in mind shes a family doctor and not a spealist in this type of medical research....but what happened when we were given the results was an assiatant called and said simply my blood sugar was to high and I need to take this new medication. That was it. Nothing about exercise or good health or diets. just take these pills. If my family didnt already have histroy with diabetes (My uncle Marty was diagnoed at age 9) we might have just followed there advice.

Anyway thank you for your time if youve read this far I really appreciate the time you may have taken out of your day to read this post.
    :) 

2. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Just don't start undereating. (if that makes sense) When my dad found out he had diabetes he also changed his diet drastically, he changed over to mostly salads and greens. He kept getting light headed and stuff and doctors told him it was because while he was eating healthier he wasn't eating enough foods with substance.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Medical advice? From TFW's General Discussion board? AWESOME!
    :popcorn 

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Aww c'mon. It's not like FreshD is going to tell the OP to get it amputated or something.

5. Optimus Sledge

Actually, I heard that amputating the penis is now the cure for diabetes.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Hook up an insulin I.V. line.

7. Optimus Sledge

Oh, and don't forget to eat lots of chocolate. I hear diabetic people need to do that or they pass out.

Or after they pass out.

Or something.

But hey, chocolate. Mmmmm.

8. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

The first bit of advice I can give you is to find a local fitness/health center if you can. They usually have free clinics and screenings for your condition and many others, plus they usually have programs available to monitoring your condition if you sign up with them.

Most importantly, dont let your doctor snowball you. Unfortunately, many of these "Family Practice" docs are people that skimmed by in med school and couldn't get their own practices if their lives depended on it. That doesn't excuse them from good patient care, and they are educated enough to know about the medications they're prescribing and the conditions they're treating. If this doctor you are seeing is refusing to help you, then see a new doctor. You will eventually find the gold nugget amongst the turds.

I wish you the best with this. Diabetes isn't the monster it used to be if its treated right. Just remember that YOU are in control of your health care not the guy/girl with the white coat and name tag.

9. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    You're trying too hard.

10. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

What kind of Doctor is your Doctor? You need to see an Endocrinologist. I have had Diabetes Type 1 for 34 years now. thats one thing you need to do most defiantly.

11. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was your Hemoglobin A1C that was 13. What that test does is measure your sugar leverl over about 6 months. The average A1C level is 6 or less. So yes, you do have diabetes. Watch the carbs, as they turn to sugar. You should have a blood sugar monitor that you use 4 times a day. The pills the MD put you on are to help your pancreas to produce more insulin. When they stop working, you have to go to injectable insulin. However, the pills are much harder on your body than regular insulin is. I suggest you see an Endocrinologist to manage your diabetes. As a precaution, you should always carry hard sugar candy. NOT SUGAR FREE!! If your exercise and diet lower your need for insulin your pills may make your blood sugar drop and you may pass out or in extreme cases go into a diabetic coma. If you ever start to feel light headed, EAT SOMETHING!!! Again, consult a specalist in diabetes for the best way to manage your body.

12. Optimus Sledge

[​IMG]

13. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

We don't even know what she looks like. I say,have the OP post a photo of her,then we can decide. I mean,I doubt it'll cure his beetus or anything,but it couldn't hurt.

14. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    lol

15. Optimus Sledge

You magnificent bastard. /thread, thread won.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    my mom has diabetes and while it is some work to manage it is managable, there are many low carb low sugar cook books out there and many sugar free products available

17. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Seriously were not Wilford Brimley

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

:lolol 

19. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

My wife has T2D. Sugars used to be pretty bad. She had gastric bypass in November, now her diabetes is pretty much gone. She's off her medicine pretty much completely.

20. Optimus Sledge

Sadly true. I can only hope to one day possess such a magnificent moustache.

Of my own, that I've grown that is. I don't mean I'm gonna buy one off ebay, or steal it off someone in the street. That would just be weird.