PerfectEffect Shadow Warrior

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Rewind, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This will be mostly a pictorial review with some comments here and there.
    Overall I really love this little guy. He might not seem 'worth' the price to a lot of folks, but I look at it through the same lens as I do designer toys. Small runs of high-quality toys by tiny companies are always going to carry a high price tag. Those willing to pay the price for this guy will get a solid little Classics-style transformer with excellent articulation, great sculpting and paint apps, and a fantastic looking addition to your collection. I'm sure red and blue "Rumble" and "Frenzy" repaints will be coming, but I personally really like the color scheme on this one.

Packaging
    [​IMG]

Contents
    [​IMG]

Very generous articulation with solid, tight joints.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the little hand gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sculpted and painted detail on his face is excellent, especially for the size
    [​IMG]

The wing blasters can be stored inside the cannons/pistons
    [​IMG]

Transformation is very simple. Rotate head and fold into torso, flip up feet...
    [​IMG]

Clip cannons together and clip onto shoulders, rotate waist...
    [​IMG]

Fold legs and arms (everything pegs into place) and done!
    [​IMG]

Not a bad looking blaster
    [​IMG]

The handgun pegs into the bottom and acts as a handle for larger figures...
    [​IMG]

Such as G1 Soundwave, who's hands hold it PERFECTLY. :) 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also pegs snugly into the screw hole on Animated Soundwave's arm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review. I may pick up the repaints of it when they do Frenzy and Rumble. In person does the paint scheme look pretty clean? Cause it comes across as a little sloppy in the pictures.

3. Rewind

News Credits:
    It looks better in person. It's such a tiny figure that imperfections are magnified in photos.

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My own thoughts after a day of messing with a couple of them:

-It's tiny, but in a way that could be a draw for some. It's like that intentional tinyness that's done by things that are like "You thought we couldn't do this at this scale? WELL"

-Paint apps on mine are mainline quality, for better or for worse. Fairly intricate, with the odd little spot of slop on one or two places.

-Surprisingly posable! I've had loads of fun with all the different ways he can hold his accessories and wave them around.

-Surprisingly sturdy-feeling!

-Surprisingly broken hinge peg! :lol  The hinges on the piledriver/cannons for the weapon storage feature can be reaaaally fragile if you get unlucky like I did on one of them, treat them carefully. It still opens and closes fine, though.

-The weapon storage feature is neat, but a slightly wider gap could've allowed for them to clip right over the forearms, I think.

-Storing the pistol on the leg just...doesn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

-Altmode is pretty cool as a flying gun.

-Transformation is clever, but relies on tabs and slots that can be a bit hit-or-miss. One of mine folds together like a glove, the other needs a lot of cajoling when locking the arms and legs together at the end. Also, the pistons clip down around the posts of the shoulder balljoints. Those are small posts, and I'm a little worried about their longevity.

-Integration with the Commander armour is spotty, the peg is a bit too wide for the hole and pops itself out if you swivel or bump it. Yet, using it as a pistol, the grip is just a bit too thin and is fairly loose in the fist holes.

-The little handgun has nowhere official to go if you use the altmode as Commander armour cannons. ;_; I found you can wedge it between his legs.

-It's easily worth $35-40 in the context of Japanese garage kits. In the context of the higher standard set by FansProject and TFC Toys, it's harder to say. But it's a really fun teeny robot toy, and ended up better than I expected after hearing a bad q/c story or two while they were in transit.

Very much agreed. The red goggles paint app + the head/face sculpt is really nice to look at on mine.

5. Rewind

News Credits:
    I think the plastic might not be sanded down enough around the hinges or something. On mine when I open the hatches the hinge wants to come off, like something is impeding it. Probably an easy fix, but I'm not going to bother since I know now to be careful when opening it.

Heh, that's exactly where I ended up sticking it.

6. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot to add: I had a problem like that with the pistol too. It's like it was sized properly, THEN had paint added on top. After squeezing it in once (and losing a bit of paint on the gun handle on one of them) it became very easy to get him to hold it.

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Itty bitty:

[​IMG]

- Mold seams and excess plastic -- I spent a couple minutes with an X-acto knife shaving them off
    - Tolerancing is poor -- doesn't fit in ____ Commander's shoulder or fist securely
    - Weak hinges in the two piledrivers/cannons

o Paint's a little sloppy, but considering his size it's tolerable

+ Super articulate
    + Nicely detailed given it's size
    + Fits well in most fists w/ 5mm holes

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    Can take a pic of him next to ROTF Leader Prime?

9. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    Has it been confirmed that they're repainting this as frenzy and rumble?

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

11. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can you fix his attachment to CC using a little bit of nail polish? or is it just too big a difference?

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Shame really about the Shadow Commander interaction being spotty as that was the appeal to me of it.

Without that I have to think what I'd use him for otherwise if I buy one.

13. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Positives:
    - Excellent articulation. I was actually surprised it had a head swival - but it's due to transformation, more than anything. Also the head can tilt forward and back slightly, again due to transformation. Still, it can form a variety of poses and all of the ball joints are nice and tight. He can easily hold and display all of his weapons in practically any position, though the hip ball joints can be a bit tempermental.
    - Paint apps on mine were excellent, considering the size. A few random bits and dots of silver-ish gray paint which I'm treating as battle scars. ;) 
    - The hinges on my piledrivers work great. Tight joints, but not to the point that I feel they could break at any moment.
    - Storing all the weapons is great, except for Shadow Warrior's handgun while in "Targetmaster mode". Though I believe you guys have given me a new option to try out.
    - He can use either peg to hold his pistol, though the intended peg has issues (see below).

Negatives:
    - The peg for Shadow Warrior's pistol which attaches it to him while in "TM mode" seems a bit oversized and is prone to detaching. Especially true in tandem with the next point.
    - As a handgun for CC, the larger handle feels loose when you put it in CC's hand or take it out, but is pretty solid if you try to twist it in either direction. I wish the barrel part that forms the handgun peg was longer, since the back end of the blaster part doesn't quite have enough clearance over CC's wrist.
    - As a shoulder cannon for City Commander, the peg is just a little too big and he will pop out with any fiddling. If left alone, he stays in pretty good. This is with the 2009 CC, though. YMMV.
    - Piledrivers are stiff when clipping onto his shoulders for TM mode, though it forms a solid connection. The shoulders/arms need to be lined up just right for it to go on properly.
    - Also, Shadow Warrior's pistol handle seems oversized for the peghole in his fist, though his wing blasters fit fine.

Overall:
    I really like the little guy, as he's fun to fiddle with and transform into all of his modes. Perfect size complement for G1 Soundwave, too. The price may seem high to some, but I think he's worth it as a standalone figure or as a compliment to Shadow Commander. As far as the other Commander sets, Shadow Warrior's color scheme seems out of place and the CC add-on kit is a much better choice for tricking out your CC or even D.I.A. or Powered versions.

But I like him enough that I've even considered getting another one, but I may hold off to see if Fansproject will do other versions in Frenzy/Rumble's colors. If that happens, I'll probably get two more. :) 

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  14. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Small update:

Having had another full day of messing with a pair of them at my desk, I have to conclude that I WANT to come down on the little guy for his price, but at the same time- now that he's here he's really bloody fun to mess with. And in my case, I'm finding that the Shadow Commander interaction isn't even necessary (it's easily the weakest part, for me). It's a characterful little dude that turns into a giant gun. :lol 

15. Rewind

News Credits:
    I don't have a Shadow Commander and I feel no need to get one. This guy is good enough on his own. And my G1 Soundwave has already claimed him for his own anyway. :D 

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Looks nice, but I'm only getting the Frenzy/Rumble repaints.

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I suppose you could give him to Universe 1.0 Nemesis Prime, or Armada Nemesis Prime to playwith - perhaps he'd even fit on top of Armada Nemesis in vehicle mode ?

I guess also one idea is that each Fan Projects upgrade could get it's own further accessory - use this guy with Nemesis, and the sword/shield combo with another.

18. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Given I don't think anyone has actually DONE this...

Can we someone post some pics of Shadow Commander with two of these guys mounted? Everyone talks about this feature, the upsides and downsides... but no one is actually posting any PICTURES of it.

19. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So basically by itself it is a good toy but when used with the original concept with Shadow Commander it fails. It is kind of strange that the whole purpose of the toy is flawed when the toy itself is decent.

20. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    One question. Is he worth getting if you don't have a shadow commander.