Perfect Grade styled Transformers Models?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by vektsilver, Jan 26, 2007.

1. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I m just chiming in here to see if others have had the same thought about this that I have and that thought is with the onslaught of toys and memorabilia coming our way does anyone think that Hasbro should do something like what Bandai does with their Gundam model line and Create $200 kits of perfect grade Transformers.

I know there is deluxe bumblebee but I have my doubts as to how good it actually be since it still is more so a toy. I think if they desgined these transformers to actually be able to transform in the real world they should be able to translate that to a Perfect Grade model kit or Master Piece Ultimate edition pretty accurately. Maybe it wouldnt be a bad Idea for Hasbro make a deal with Bandai to produce them as they have tons of experiance in the field already.

Lets say they did choose to do something like this,
    What would you folks think are models you would want to see or are most likely to be made based on design difficulty

:horse: 

I like the power of the edit Just to note we are talking about Bandai JAPAN which makes some of the craziest most detailed and wonderful models ever bought from anywhere in the 100- 300 dollar range. not power rangers as it is agreed power rangers are dookie

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

My response, hell no. Model kits have no playability, their fragile as hell, and their joints get uber loose in no time. No thank you.

3. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Screw Bandai...They made Power Rangers crap....that right there is enough to condemn the whole company in my mind...i've hated Power Rangers since the day that lame horrible acted show came onto fox kids and just delayed my X-men watching pleasure as a young kid.

4. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I would love a high end collector's line of the movie characters. Though not modelkits.

iDD.... coming from a Gundam collector

5. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

While I would love it, I think the chances of it going over with the majority of the Transformers crowd is pretty slim. However, what I HAVE always wanted is the option of ordering the toys from Hasbro pre-assembly. I like to sand, prime, paint, cleanup and otherwise perfect toys that I have, but it's a HUGE pain in the ass to disassemble them and then go through all that. If I could get the toy quality mold without it being assembled, I'd be in absolute kitbashing heaven.

But, since the chances of that happening are even slimmer than the chances of what your talking about, it's kinda pointless for me to speculate further.

6. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't think so. Transformers have been pre-assembled plastic toys since time immemorial, and setting the fandom aside, they're still pretty much kids' toys. Even 20th Op. OTOH, Gundam merch started out as plastic models, so I'd think there's a certain expectation there on the part of that fanbase - sacrificing playability for displayability, let us say.

(And CDN I dunno about you but I sure as heckfire don't play with my Yamato. ;) )

7. Night Flame

You don't? FOR SHAME!

I think I probably play more with my Yamato 1/48 than I do most of my Transformers. Granted, there's a lot more to do with him too. And I never get tired of having him tell MP Convoy, "I'm not Jetfire."

8. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

It'd depends on what you mean by "play". I pick mine up from time to time and fiddle with them a little. Usually I just pose them and gawk at their awe-freakin-wonderness. They never really change poses. But I don't play with my Yamato's as I would, say, with my Bendy Prime who I do all sorts of crazy stuff with (that little guy's more fun than a clown car on fire!)

I always call him "I Can't Believe It's Not Jetfire" :lol  Although, I saw a really kickass custom a while back. It was a 1/48 VF-1S with fast packs repainted as Jetfire. Had blue optics, DOM style hands, the works. Damn that thing was beautiful.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Let's not confuse Bandai America with Bandai Japan, shall we? :) 

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It would be a love /hate relationship thing.
    Yelling at the toys "why are you taking all my money!?"

I would be all over a Mastergrade Prime, and I bet half of you are lying if you say you would'nt go for it :lol 

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    It'd be neat to see Perfect Grade versions of the movie toys. They seem like they'd be appropriate for that level of detail.

12. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'd be cool, I'm just not sure it'd be feasible.

Gundam can have crazyhuge Perfect Grade kits partly because they're 30+ years established and things with doing model kits, I think. Transformers has demonstrated that it already has trouble moving MP Prime and the Supremes in the retail market.

However, with the new Movie giving a push to other types of product, I'd say the chance of something like this is a bit higher.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree...don't mix u Bandai USA with Bandai Japan. Haven't you seen some of the amazing stuff that Bandai Japan has put out. An extremely good example would be the Soul of Chogokin line which pains me to think that it is probably the best mecha line ever.

Anyway, going back to topic...yeah, I don't think TFs should be model kits simply because Hasbro/Takara doesn't seems to have the experience of model kits that Bandai has.

14. Phy

News Credits:
    I mean, I'd probably get a PG Prime or whatever, 'cause 2/3rds of the fun of Gunpla is building the damn thing. I just don't see it happening; the PG-buying target market is too small in the TF fandom.

And what I meant by the Yamato comment is just that some toys are meant to be played with, and some aren't. It's just like, I don't play with my MGs or MPScream either. (Although the latter is broken a little and the former are too lightweight for it. Except the Dom, that thing is a TANK.)

15. vektsilver

16. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually think MP Starscrem would have worked better as a fit. As it is it is as fragile as one. Well, the plastic used is at least very similar to MP Starscream (I actually have had 0 problems with MP Screamer, but can see a few trouble areas).

I have two PG kits and both are actually quite durable. Far more so than any of the MG 1/100's I've done.

As to the topic of the thread I would love a toy/kit like this, but it would NEVER happen for a slew of reasons. A kit like this would be the coolest because of how well a model kit reveals the incredible engineering involved in these guys as you build it, which I think is the charm of the model kits. In the end I think that a robot kit would be fantastically detailed and could be durable, but one that would transform could get a little dicey.

17. Night Flame

You know, there was a time the Jetfire repaints of 1/48s really inspired me. But for some reason as I got more into the Macross stuff, my obsession with a modern Jetfire faded a bit and I got far more interested in some of the neato urban/digital camos done on some of the customs on Macross World and the like. Kind of adds a kick to it every time I have him tell Prime/Convoy "I'm not Jetfire." Jetfire is cool and all, I just think that time has passed for me.

I do like a lot of the hand/manipulator mods I've seen around on the 1/48s though. Some of the best customs incorporate more appropriately sized hands than any of the official ones. I really need to get on that at some point myself.

18. Phy

News Credits:
    Well, the PG Zeta Gundam transforms. I don't know how fragile or floppy it's supposed to be. It can't be worse than what I've heard about the first-gen MG Zeta. And the entire Zeta series has one of the most needlessly complex transformations I've ever seen - as complex as MP Optimus, and all just to smooth out the bottom surface (heat shield) and bung the legs way up in the air.

19. vektsilver

I can say having own 4 Perfect grades they arent horribley fragile unless you are shaking them like you think they are a pinata which in that case just pick up the bat and smash it already. I have the PG Zeta and that is actually one of the more durable or the 3 and its transformation is pretty good and in plane mode its pretty solid. ITs that model that makes me ask cause my intention is to have a show piece with some playablity not neccesarily a toy.

There is just something great about building the whole thing too that just makes you feel like you are getting all the information the shows or in the this case the movie dont show you about how these things actually look all around.

I mean hell Bandai has to be making money off it if they have some 20 perfect grade models out there

20. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Except that Power Rangers has consistently been the number 1 selling boys toyline for something like the past decade.

Such blind ignorance is mind boggling.