Perfect Effect Xerxes

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Enderwiggen, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Enderwiggen

Enderwiggen Well-Known Member

Complete Xerxes review can be seen here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beautiful figure. It's a shame some of the joints are loose. I still can't be bothered to but this guy, even though it looks amazing.

Thanks for the review!

3. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    man I can't wait to get this guy, thanks for the great review

4. shovelchop81

shovelchop81 not so mini-con

Ebay:
    Great review! Thanks! Could it be that his fingers are meant to be gory, covered in blood? It would suit this character if you know your Persian and Greek history. Is that horn removable? It just bugs the hell out of me, makes me think of pretty pony unicorns not the vicious beast he is portraying, they could have chosen so many other horn variants, why this one? A couple of curved triceratops horns would have been cool and more demonic.

5. namartlu

namartlu Well-Known Member

I got the normal version, I like the figure but too bad some of the joints are so loose. Like both elbow joints, the arms are swinging freely. I applied a lot of nail polish at the joints, now it is better.

6. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Rethink your heroes TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't normally buy third party stuff, but the second I saw this in a TFSource email, I had to get it. I'm glad I did, because this is easily my favorite third party toy yet, and one of my all-time favorite action figures.
    Where to start? I love the colors on Xerxes; black, dark grey, dark blue, and metallic red all blend so nicely in an imposing combo that borrows from the standard Nemesis Prime color scheme while also improving on it. The paint is flawless, and I say this even though the fingers aren't painted perfectly because I think (like another user suggested) that it's intentional.

The detailing is incredible. So many little details and design bits throughout ever single part of this toy make it on-par with, and in many cases superior to, official Masterpiece Transformers.

The toy itself feels like you're getting your money's worth, both in terms of the paint, detailing, and quality. A perfect blend of plastic and diecast that give Xerxes quite a bit of heft.

Poseability is fantastic, further improved by the display stand. I've got Xerxes on my desk at work and I'm constantly finding new ways to make him look awesome. I don't have any problems with loose joints or anything with mine.

[​IMG]

The other accessories are mostly great, too. I like that he comes with plenty of weapon options and that everything stores pretty neatly. I don't particularly care for the lion mode visor, but that would make him even more reminiscent of a Zoids figure in alt. mode.

Speaking of which, his lion mode is pretty cool. I was quite the Zoids enthusiast back in the day and having this blend of Transformers and Zoids is a real treat. He stays together pretty well in this mode, but poseability is more limited and this definitely isn't where he shines. Also, the horn is slightly random but I guess it's to differentiate him from Leonidas more.

Transformation is mostly simple, though I've had a tough time getting the lion head assembly aligned properly and tabbed in correctly. Xerxes is definitely a lot less complicated and fragile than some of the other third party Transformers I own (MMC Cyclops...).

Overall, easily worth the purchase. I'd happily buy another to keep at home. I love the aesthetic, the poseability, the weapons, and the quality of this toy. Top of the list of my admittedly limited collection of third party Transformers, but he's also near the top of ALL the Transformers I have, official Masterpiece toys included.

7. shovelchop81

Ebay:
    Great write up and review of the figure! Thanks!

8. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If only his body is bigger.

9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If only his upper body is bigger, I would be all over this.

10. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

I have a question. Is Xerxes supposed to be a new character or is he a homage to someone?

11. shovelchop81

Ebay:
    They called their Leo Prime version Leonidas after the famous Spartan King (300, Thermopile) where he valiantly defended the narrow pass against the Persian Empire's hoards invading Greece led by the Emperor Xerxes who this version of the mould is named after, hence he's the evil version with blood covered claws etc.. The idea would be to have them displayed in battle against each other. Basically it's just a clever way to get another character out of this figure and works well as a spin on history.

12. Crossblades

Crossblades Combiner fan

Makes sense to me. Thanks :)