Perfect Effect PE-11 Scouting Force X Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by and2ng, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for the pictures! After watching a few video reviews online and hearing the positive word of mouth about this set, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered it off BBTS. I'm a huge fan of the Revoltech Transformers (with the exception of Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus, anyway) so I have no problem with tiny bots if they're articulated and accessorized out the wazoo like these guys seems to be. As Peaugh said, good things do come in small packages! Can't wait for my PoL to finish filling so I can ship it!

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Curse you Hybrid Prime. I was expecting this in a trade. I just can't get over the weaponry. I thought I finally had gotten a hold of you guys. :( 

I wonder what they'll repaint this as. They always do. By the time I can drum up enough money to commit to them they'll probably be super expensive, so I guess I'll have to go with the eventual repaint.

3. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    If the the price is just too much, and I understand why that's the case for some, I *will* be giving away a PE-11 set soon. Should have all the details up on my YouTube channel Sunday night.

4. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are great figures, I do wish that they were a bit bigger though. For those who are planning on getting a set, here is a pic to give you a good idea just how small they are.

[​IMG]

5. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Excellent, sir! I do loves me your videos and every update is eagerly awaited by me every week. I'll be sure to check out the contest details too, thanks!

And Nibblet is just too cute holding up Reflector! This set seems perfectly sized for tiny hands!

6. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want this set SOO BAD! But at the same time, I don't. I just can't wrap my mind around spending 100 dollars on a set that is 3 legends sized figures. No matter how much articulation they have. But then again I love photography and Reflector is one of my favorite G1 characters. Grrr, see my dilemma. Heres to hopefully seeing this set loose at Botcon in the dealer room. I won't hope too much. Since I do not own a PE figure, I think i'll grab one of the cheaper sets and depending on how much I like it, later grab PE-11.

Okay, now you got me all excited haha.

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
  8. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Let’s get the legal stuff out of the way first. This set here was created by the third-party provider Perfect Effect and is in no way associated with Hasbro or Takara-Tomy. It’s clearly a homage to the G1 Transformer Reflector, but not being an official Transformers product, it can’t be called that.

Robot Mode: Okay, first let’s talk about the one major flaw of this figure set: it’s too small. The individual robots are about the size of Legends-class figures, no more than that. An increase in size by at least 50 percent would have vastly improved things for me.

With that out of the way, let’s talk about the three robots making up the Scouting Force. They are modeled after Reflector’s TV appearance, not the toy, so all three robots basically look alike. The only differences are the colored stripes on their forearms and legs (green, blue and red, referencing the dominant colors of their respective G1 predecessors), plus Edge having the camera lens on his chest. All three robots share excellent posability, having fully posable arms and legs, as well as ball-jointed heads and swiveling feet. Detailing is also quite excellent given their size.

The Scouting Force members carry an impressive amount of weaponry. Each member has a knife he can put into a sheet on the back of his hip, the rest is individualized. Edge, the team leader (green stripes) carries two black rifles, plus blast shields on his forearms. He also has shoulder pads made from the viewfinder of the camera. Shield (red stripes) carries a sniper-type rifle with an elongated barrel and scope, plus a huge shield (hence the name) of the type riot squads carry. He also has missile launchers on his shoulders. Finally Bullet carries the two halves of the camera zoom lens on his shoulders and a huge tri-barreled weapon, strongly reminiscent of a mini-gun. None of them are lacking in firepower, that’s for sure.

The big mini-gun and the camera zoom lens can also be combined to form a huge bazooka-type weapon, which can either be carried by one of the three robots or combined once again with Shield’s riot shield into a stationary cannon of sorts.

So all in all one has to admit that, despite their small size, the Scouting Force robots are incredibly detailed, offer lots of different variations in terms of armament (all weapons can be swapped to your heart’s content) and are simply fun. If only they’d been a good deal bigger...

Alternate Mode: Just like in days of yore, the three robots combine to make a camera (whether or not it makes sense for three robots to combine into a single, immobile device is a discussion for another time and place). First off, let me say that I was very impressed that the entire arsenal of extra parts for the robot are smoothly integrated into the camera mode. The three rifles fit inside the zoom lens, the missile launchers become the flash, the big shield becomes the camera’s bottom, and the huge mini-gun turns into a tripod for it. Very nicely done, everything’s packed up tight, so the danger of losing extra parts is minimal.

The final product does look like a camera, but only overall and only with the add-on parts zoom lens and flash. Without it, it’s just a big, somewhat irregular square that doesn’t look like a camera. G1 Reflector managed to look more or less like a camera even without the add-on parts, so advantage to the classic product here. If you don’t look too much into detail, though, the Perfect Effect camera looks pretty spiffy, too. There is no functionality here, of course, as neither the viewfinder now the actual camera lens are transparent or anything, but the combined effect of everything is still nice. No one will mistake it for the real deal, but you can easily tell what it’s supposed to be, so no real complaints.

Remarks: I was always a fan of Reflector and having gotten the original G1 figure some time back thanks to my loving wife, I was pretty psyched to see an updated version of them being done, even if it was by a third-party company. When it finally got here, I was bit dismayed at the rather miniscule size of the package. My disappointment didn’t last long, though, as size is pretty much the only thing one can complain about here. The three individual robots are great, the add-on parts all work and are fully integrated into the camera mode, and everything fits together quite well. If the set had been 50 to 100 percent larger, it’d have gotten a straight A from me. As things stand it’s still a great set, but you need to decide whether you want to dish out the rather hefty price tag for three Legends-sized figures. I did and I don’t regret it.

Rating: B+

9. Woodclaw

Woodclaw Sargebot

Ebay:
    I received my set yesterday and I think it's great. While they're horribly small the sheer amount of accesories help giving character to three otherwise identical robots.

Unfortunatly I had a two QC problems: one of the rifles had the hole horribly off center, this was fixed with some dremel; also the whole backpack clip point on shield are horribly bent and impossible to move without causing major damage.

10. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    God lord, they're small! Looking at the pictures, Scouting Force looks cool, but at that price, I can't justify it at the moment. I'm between jobs, so it's even harder to rationalize the purchase.

11. Ash-T

Ash-T Well-Known Member

Small but cool - no regrets from my side. :) 

12. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

I just want to say that I got my PE-11 a little over a week ago and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Even though this item is small, it packs so much awesome in such a little package it is worth it. If that isn't enough, Curt and the guys at TFSource.com make it even better. After unpacking I was looking over my guys and I noticed a flaw in the molding on my shield character. You can see in the following pictures the flaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I contacted TFSource over the weekend and Monday I got a reply back stating that they could not view the pictures but they feel that I am being honest and sent out a new one. That was Monday and I got my guy in today at no extra cost. Thank you Curt and the TFSource.com team for standing behind your products and making my PE-11 complete.

In closing, I have always bought my 3rd Partyh stuff from TFSource and I always will because of the customer service and the great products they provide.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    These guys might be small, but they are awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Woodclaw

Woodclaw Sargebot

Ebay:
    Some pictures I took today, these little guys are great.

From the Decepticon War Academy Yearbook 1984

Cadet Shield during a standard Sniper Drill exercise

[​IMG]

Cadet Edge aced the Knife Combat class, despite is shortcomings

[​IMG]

Cadet Bullet, curretly hold the record for number of target destroyed a single Heavy Weapon exercise

[​IMG]

Cadet Edge took a double specialization in Assault Weapons

[​IMG]

Drill Sergeant Bruticus and the class of 1984

[​IMG]

15. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

^^

Great stuff there! Especially love the first pic.

16. Woodclaw

Woodclaw Sargebot

Ebay:
    Thanks, my personal preferences goes for the last one (it was a pain to get those guys into position).

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I finally got my replacement envelope from TFSource and when I opened up, there was nothing inside except for a piece of white paper taped to bubble wrap yay!!!!!! :lol 

I emailed them again, guess I will have to wait another two weeks for a gun :( 

18. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

Mine were perfect out of the box, got them from BBTS, they look great on my classic shelf.

19. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Each part has the specific robot's number printed on it, but physically they can attach to any of the robots.

20. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great pics! Probably gonna display mine like that now (ordered from TF Source - can't wait to get 'em).