Perfect Effect PE-01R and PE-01F Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by Skeeve, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I just received the PE twins in the mail. Yeah, I know they sound like brothers who both happen to be high school gym instructors, but it's what they look like that counts. And (well, besides the obvious) they look like a little blue robot and a little red robot who transform into a hell of a lot of fun.

Packaging:

There is snazzy artwork on both sides of the package which, combined with a hassle-free opening process, gives the PE Twins high marks in packaging. All major modes are shown on the back, so you know what you're getting before you even open the box. There are also transforming instructions that are reasonably easy to decipher. Grade: A

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alt Mode:

The PE Twins are essentially Triggermasters. They transform into what appears to be doubled-barrelled chain-guns. Yes, when one roaring maw of rapid-fire, bullet-spewing mayhem isn't enough, you really have to double your pleasure. Aesthetically, they look pretty decent. The wings you see on the sides are removeable, so you can ditch them if you don't like the idea of recoil sending the things into the stratosphere. Also, G1 enthusiasts will be glad to note, they can easily be held by Soundwave. The blue one goes quite well with his color scheme, too.

[​IMG]

And for total overkill (possibly a forthcoming PerfectEffect product?) Sounder can double-wield the double chainguns John Woo style. 4 chainguns? Whoa...that's too many chainguns!

[​IMG]

They are a bit finnicky to transform into guns, however, and I'm sure most will fear that the plastic tabs that keep the robot legs pinned to the barrel may wear down with use. It's tough to get it to hold together, but once it does, it's fairly stable.

Rating: B

Robot Mode:

Solid win, here. The robots are surprisingly detailed for their size and feature a wealth of accessories that are all used in gun mode, including the pile drivers, two wings for the back that can also be used as guns, and an extra sidearm that serves as the gun's handle. The PE Twins are armed to the teeth. There were some paint app problems with mine, it should be noted, but nothing that a little paint remover couldn't fix.

The Blue One:

[​IMG]

And for the sake of balance and comparison photos, let's use a Reprolabel to make the Red one a force for good:

There's a new sheriff in town!

[​IMG]

And he brought some back-up.

[​IMG]

Size-wise, the PE Twins are dwarfed by your average deluxe. However, there are still considerably bigger than your basic Triggermaster, as you can see in these photos of Sheriff Red apprehending the dangerous fugitive, Nightstick.

[​IMG]

Also, when it comes to articulation, the PE Twins just...well...you can figure it out.

[​IMG]

Rating: A-

Value:

Versitility is the name of the game when it comes to the PE Twins. Not only do they make great accessories to some of the FansProject products (not pictured), but they can be used by a HUGE assortment of other Transformers, as you can see here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is also renarkable just how well they fit in with their fellow minions of soundwave. Even though they were made years apart, they look like they belong together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only downside is the relatively steep price for the two small figures: $50. However, when you consider the level of detail and playability you are getting with that pricetag, it softens the blow somewhat. Also, consider the convenience. You are getting the figures in a 2-pack. You don't have to worry about hunting around to find both separately on eBay in the future. If time is money, you might well be breaking even on the extra dollars the PE twins cost.

Grade: B

Overall grade (not an average):B+

2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I also got mine today...posted these pics in the Let's See Some Cool Stuff - Transformers Edition thread, but figured people would look here too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey Squall does that DIA Commander have the regular faceplate or battlemask?

4. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Mine has the regular faceplate...which doesn't show up at all in the pics. I think it came with an alternate face, but I'd have to rummage through my extra parts bin.

5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yea let me know if it does man!

6. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I really like these, but I'm sort of turned off by the price. I know its a third party product, but they were 36.99 each on BBTS and are smaller than a scout. Plus I saw a video review on Youtube where they seemed to be loose in the hands of the DIA, City, or Shadow Commander in gun form. That's sort of disappointing.

However, I just love the way these look. They are very posable and come with some nice accessories.

7. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice review and pics. Lots of repaint potential.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Where can I buy a set?

9. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

I look at it like this: I'm paying for the accuracy and detail. Masterpiece Grimlock is about the size of a standard $30 figure, but he costs extra for the workmanship and detail. The PE twins are likewise premium items. If you look at close-ups of the figures, it's almost difficult to tell what size they are because the sculpt is that intricate. And they still maintain an appropriate scale. I can appreciate how hard it is to achieve that in such a small figure. Much harder than achieving the same thing with a larger figure. Also, there a lot of playability you wouldn't find in larger figures. As guns that fit in an average figure's fist, they can act as sidekicks to nearly any character, including several incarnations of Soundwave (which, as cassette tapes, they couldn't really do). Also, I believe that they're small enough to act as drivers for some of your Alternator-sized vehicles. Want to see G1 Frenzy with Human Alliance Barricade? This might be your chance. I will attempt to take photos of a figure in an Alternator vehicle when I return home.

Edit: the pe twins are a bit too bulky in the legs to fit into alt silverstreak.

I got mine at TFSource, but I'm sure BBTS and all the other main online sources have them around.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got mine today! Pretty awesome little guys. Couple of minor mold and paint problems goin on but they are tiny afterall.

I'll definitely buy another PE product given the chance.

Also, I remember hearing something about an alternate Transformation. Anyone know or have pics?

11. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Just got em in the mail today. LOVE EM. cant stop fiddling with them. Great addition to the classic Decepticons.

12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Looking good. I wanna ship my POL so bad.

13. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Blue has fond memories of the Teen Wolf movie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  fuckin sweet!

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice. Received mine a few days ago, but I'm keeping them sealed for a rainy day. :) 

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You just made me want this AND Ramjet. DAMN YOU! :p 

18. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

They're great! Now if only they would do Lazerbeak and maybe a armed Ravage..... and Eject and Rewind

19. AutobotFerguson

AutobotFerguson New Member

Wow..never before have I wanted to spend so much money on such small items. What are the chances these go down in price or on sale--Or will they just go up in price and more rare? What's the general opinion?

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say probably up. The last shadow Warrior was selling for around what 50-60+ before these figures rolled out. Plus, everyone will want these since its Rumble and Frenzy.