"Percy Jackson" movie sequel in the works

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jadryx, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fox 2000 Prepping Sequel PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS: THE SEA OF MONSTERS

I really liked the books but the first movie did not live up to them at all (I know most movies based on books usually don't, but they changed/left out so many things!) I'm interested to see if they will try to repair some of the stuff they left out or changed from the first one. News of a sequel is good, but because of how I felt about the first one I'm really skeptical on this one.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Aside from the first one falling into the appallingly insulting trap of turning Zeus and Hades into God and Satan analogues (which is especially egregious here since I understand in the books, this wasn't the case), the first flick was pretty solid I thought.

So yeah, I'll have a go at part two if I get the opportunity.

3. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a stand alone movie I think the first one was good. If you hadn’t read the book first it would be a decent movie but when you take into account that they changed so much it really made my opinion of the movie a whole lot lower. I don't expect movies that come from books to be 100% faithful because that wouldn't work, but my love of the book combined with what they changed made the movie pretty disappointing. I hope the second one turns out better.

4. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

I refused to see the first movie since they made so many completely unnecessary and major changes to it. I bet it would be good as a standalone movie, but not if you've read the books.

From what I know of the changes they made in the first film, it sounds like they destroyed any chance of having a sequel. It's almost like they made it impossible to continue the story without perpetually making huge changes from the books. Say what you want about Twilight, but at least they follow the stupid books pretty closely.

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I never read the books so for me, the first movie did alright on its own. I'lll check out the sequel if they keep most of the cast intact.

6. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They could probably fit some stuff in at the very beginning of part 2 to fix some of the things they changed or left out but it could also be a pretty big mess. If they have to keep making big changes to stay with the continuity they created from the first movie I'll probably pass on seeing any more movies in the series (or at least paying for seeing any!)

7. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Agreed. My biggest problem with it is that the book is like the perfect length to do a movie without having to change much, if anything. It's got near-perfect pacing and just the right amount of action. I don't see any reason why they had to make such incredibly drastic changes like combining 2 really important/main characters into 1 character, or completely leaving out important bad guys like Ares and Kronos. They pretty much butchered the entire plot and motivation behind the quest. I can't see how a sequel would work well when they basically turned the first book of a five book series into a standalone movie that has no loose ends.

8. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I love the books, and I hope they can adapt the second one a little closer, as it's a really good story. I agree, they're going to have to do some work to re-establish things they cut from the first movie, but I think it'll work out. It should be a fun movie.

Of course, this also means more Alexandra Daddario, which cannot be seen as a bad thing.

9. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I love the books, and the first film was decent. I hope the second one is as well.