Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rusty24, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Just saying this now, disregard anything positive I said about the first movie in this thread. They messed it up horribly and I have never been more angry when watching a movie. It definitely seems like they're going to fix the mistakes of the first one to the best of their abilities in this one. Whether it sucks or not, I'm still going to see it to support my favorite book series so we can at least get them to finish the series. I really hope they get this right.

2. Rusty24

I just watched the trailer for this movie and it already looks a hundred times better than the first one. It looks a lot closer to the book and I can already tell they included the Oracle, Kronos, and The Princess Andromeda. Mr. D and Clarisse both look good so far. Also, Logan Lerman feels a lot more like Percy Jackson just from this trailer. In the first movie, I think he seemed too much like Shia Labeouf. However, now he has that same sense of humor and he seems a little more believable as a hero to me. He is a great actor and I'm absolutely positive that he's going to do a great job. The dialogue does feel more like the book's this time around and I've only noticed a few differences from the book in this trailer, though I'm assuming that's so they can add stuff that should have been in the first movie. The special effects look great and you can tell Rhythm and Hues worked on this movie. Nathan Fillion also looks really good as Hermes. All in all, it's a great trailer and it has prett much sold me on the movie. I normally don't talk like this, but I did have a huge fangasm while watching the trailer.

I can't post the link to the trailer right now because it's a bootleg, but I promise that I will when it's officially released.

3. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Yeah okay the trailer is pretty awesome. I still notice a few discrepancies... but I might actually be able to look past them.

4. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New trailer seems decent. Just gotta figure out why Grover isn't on the island, why they're in a lifeboat when fighting the whirlpool monster, why the Three Fates show up at camp instead of at Percy's school, why Hermes is at an office, and why there's no chariot racing, just obstacle courses.

Also, how far off from the book do you guys think the film will be? Because "Lightning Theif" was way off course.

5. Rusty24

If we're rating them as faithful adaptations, I think The Lightning Thief was 25% faithful and I think this new one will be 80 to 85% faithful. My theory on Grover being there is to set up that he is looking for Pan and maybe some other things that were left out of the first movie. It still appears that he will get kidnapped, but it looks like it happens on the quest. The fact that they're keeping it that close to the book is impressive considering how hard the first movie made it to continue the series. Secondly, this movie seems like it finally got the tone just right and it looks a lot more like a Percy Jackson movie compared with the first.

6. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

I still have yet to see the original (if I ever decide to), so came someone just summarize how bad it is and if the movie follows the fantastic books at all?

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I think that it's going to be off base from the plot of Sea of Monsters, because it's going to be to busy fixing everything the first movie screwed up. When you have to spend that much time repairing the mistakes, and setting things up for the next one, then you've screwed yourself. Grover isn't gonna be on the island, looks like. Who knows where they pick up Tyson (who looks nothing like how I imagined him... might just be me.) An obstacle course in place of a chariot race isn't that big of a difference, it's still a competition.

And remember, this Percy is much much much older then the Percy of the book. He was 13 in this book, with 16 being the number to go on. Since I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the prophecy was altered to be for Percy when he's 21, that makes him 18 here, right? Might be at Camp Half Blood full time then. It's an acceptable break, at least they show up at all.

So verdict: This movie will repair the damage from the first film, will set up the next set of films, but will fail in accurately telling the story of The Sea of Monsters.

8. Rusty24

As a huge Percy Jackson book fan, I can honestly say that you should skip the first movie at all costs. It barely follows the book except for the following plot points: character names, Camp Half-Blood, Percy is accused of stealing Zeus' s lightning bolt, and Luke is a traitor. It leaves out Ares, Clarisse, Kronos, the Oracle, claiming, the pact of the three major gods, and the prophecy entirely.

I guess it's a good thing that Sea of Monsters is the shortest book in the series so it will have some spare time to fix the damage the first movie did. I still would have preferred a reboot, reboot but this new one does look a lot closer to the book and at least captures what I loved about the books. I also hope we can get a Kane Chronicles movie sometime soon because I loved those books about as much as the Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus series and we haven't seen Egyptian mythology on the big screen outside of mummy movies.

9. UltraPrimus56

^ Shame, Kronos is such a huge asset in the books that it doesn't make sense for the movie to leave it out. Plus, Annabeth as a brunette... Seriously? Are Percy and Annabeth at least dyslexic?

10. Rusty24

The demigods are all dyslexic and ADHD in the movie and I'm glad it was included.

11. UltraPrimus56

^ That's a positive I guess :) . I'm just going to disregard this movie and watch Sea of Monsters instead. Hopefully Tyson shows up in it at some point.

12. Rusty24

Tyson is already confirmed to be in the movie and I'm assuming that he is going to be used to explain "the mist" at the beginning of the movie since they also forgot to include that in the first one.

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    There was a pic posted by TVGuide...Nathan looks good in uniform... :D 

[​IMG]

Many Castle fans already view Nathan Fillion as a Greek god. And last summer during his hiatus, Fillion traveled to Vancouver to play Zeus's son Hermes in the sequel Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (in theaters August 16). "I'm a god, father to one of the young demigods [half-blood Luke]," says Fillion. "I'm not allowed contact with humans as a god, so I dress as a UPS guy." Hermes, as you may recall, is the messenger of the gods.

In one scene, Hermes dons a suit and takes a group of child demigods on a long tour of his colossal parcel-sorting hub. "The three young actors restored my faith in humanity of what Los Angeles actors can be like," Fillion says. "They were having fun — supercool, prepared and professional. A very comfortable, great place to be!"

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Nathan looks good in anything.

15. Rusty24

YouTube

New trailer just got released today. It looks much bigger and better than the first. I'm still really concerned about how faithful they'll be to the book. That giant fire monster at the end wasn't in the book. I'm hoping that it's just a dream of Kronos or just one of a bunch of random monsters they'll have to fight. It definitely looks epic. The only major complaint is the "this movie is in 3D shot at the end of the trailer." The idea of throwing Riptide into the mouth of a monster, having it explode, and have Percy turn his back to it is downright awesome, but they didn't execute well. I guess they do have two more months to fix it. Even if it doesn't follow the book as much as I want it to, it does look like a really fun ride that captures the tone and essence of the books. Like I said before about the previous trailers, everyone in this feels a lot more like their characters in the books. Heck, I think recasting Chiron was a good move already. I still remain optimistic because I want this to be a huge franchise. On the plus side, I have heard many positive things about the movie from people who have seen the test screenings.

16. Rusty24

PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS Preview | Collider

They got to see the first thirty minutes of the movie and they liked it a lot. From what I read, it sounds pretty good and the article says fans of the book should be happy. The first scene sounds like it will be
    a flashback with young Annabeth, Thalia, and Luke because they need to establish who Thalia is and why her tree matters so much. Plus, it would "raise the stakes" to show young children in danger and one not exactly making it.
    . The director sounds genuinely excited and the action scenes sound awesome and they certainly looked really cool in the trailers. From what I read, Stanley Tucci is exactly like Dionysus in the books. This footage review boosted my excitement a little and I really hope this one gets it right.

17. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Hollywood....
    the simpsons old grey mare - YouTube

18. Rusty24

YouTube

PERCY JACKSON: SEA OF MONSTERS TV Spots, Posters | FilmoFilia

I'm really starting to get excited for this movie the more I see it. The international trailer (which I meant to post a month ago) shows how it is going to fix most of the problems and that it will be a really action packed movie. The climax looks a little different than the book, but I can forgive that because the book didn't really have a big end fight like all the other books. I love the homages to the books they put in this one like "oh my gods" and "Perry Johnson."

19. Rusty24

YouTube

YouTube

Two new featurettes for the movie and it really shows how big the action is going to get. Which is impressive because I think the budget is actually smaller than the first movie and it looks a thousand times better. The Manticore wasn't in the Sea of Monsters book and I'm pretty sure it appeared in Titan's Curse. But like I said, I'm ok with adding some more monster fights to the climax.

20. Rusty24

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - "Hermes" Clip - IGN Video

Has Nathan Fillion ever not been awesome? He totally owns this scene and I found myself laughing three times during the clip. The second look he gives toward Annabeth really got me and the final line he says as well. It's hard to make out in this clip, but I paused one of the trailers at this part once and the thermos says something like "Hercules Busts Heads!" I don't remember if that is taken from the book, but it sounds like something that would be in them. One thing I already noticed about this movie that the first movie really lacked was charismatic eccentric gods. In the first movie, they're all so stoic and serious and have no defining personalities. In the books the gods are very eccentric and they stand out. The only one in the first movie that fits that description is Hades and he is supposed to be the coldest and emotionless one of all. Dionysus and Hermes both look like scene stealers in this movie and really stick out. Did anyone else see that Hermes's cane had the snakes George and Martha on it. I don't really mind if they talk or not, but it's nice to see a nod to them.