Perceptor's accent?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I always enjoyed the character as I learned to appreciate him in the course of the series and TF:TM but what I always wondered his accent it never occurred me to this point, does he has a British accent or Australian accent?

Thanks

2. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    British

3. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Middle class English?

4. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

Could it be that transatlantic accent some people had in the early-mid 20th century? You hear it a lot in older films. Someone with a better ear than mine might be able to hear what accent it is through the autotuning.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Generic smart-sounding accent. :) 

6. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    He's just smart.

7. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
  8. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    Wow, that's a cool interview. It's really shitty that he's never been contacted to do another voice, given that he seems to genuinely have liked working for the franchise. Always thought he was one of the better actors on G1.

Anyway I always thought maybe his accent was maybe supposed to be mid-atlantic English, which is an American dialect typically associated with "high class." It's typically spoken in (surprisingly enough) New England. If you don't know what I'm talking about: Frasier. Was a very popular affectation for American actors before world war 2.

But I guess I'm wrong, since he says right there in the interview that he was going for C3P0, who is undeniably British since Anthony Daniels is.. well... British and Threepio's voice very much resembles his natural speaking voice.

As a general rule in american pop culture, a character rarely has an australian accent unless they are explicitly said to be australian*. If you ever have to guess, nine times out of ten you'll hearing some dialect from the UK (which has many many many dialects, of which the australian dialect is an offshot)

* the only exception to this that I can think of is the old 80s X-Men cartoon where Wolverine inexplicably has an Australian accent. But it only ran for one episode.

9. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

I would say British. I believe Paul Eiding can still pull him off. If I ever attend a panel at BotCon, I might ask him what would happen if Perceptor met Colonel Campbell from the Metal Gear series.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    English.....not British.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I believe it's... science. :D 

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    this and this. IMHO..he has a posh ENGLISH accent. I'd always had this in mind whe I hear Perceptor speak :lol 

13. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    I believe much of this "British" vs "English" debate is because the English don't want us thinking they sound like the Welsh. But we don't. Most of us don't know what a "Welsh" is.

...and now I've upset the Welsh.

14. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Why would the english not want people to think they sound like the Welsh? Although I've never heard anybody English who sounds Welsh.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    This is confusing. First we all have to learn as children that it's Great Britain and not England and now we have to learn it's english and not british...

I only differentiated between american english and british english before.

Can't we just say he talks like a knowitall? :D 

16. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    It was a joke. English people do not sound welsh. I was saying that people from England are being so emphatic that it's called "English" and not "British" because they don't want to be confused with any other people in the vicinity. I picked the Welsh because, according to the BBC, everyone likes to pick on the Welsh. Also Welsh is fun to say.

But I guess if I have to explain it it wasn't very good. I withdraw the comment.

To be more serious, Americans call "English" "British" to differentiate it from American English. As in, "the type of English they speak in Great Britain" even though that encompasses many things (Just as American English does). Calling it English English doesn't work, so most Americans call it British even though the English protest every time.

See, we call what WE speak "English." You can make a solid argument that it's wrong to do so, but we do. Therefore we need a different word that encompasses the type of English they speak in England. No, it may not be the preferred way to do so, but it works for us. Yes, you can say "okay, but they speak English lots of places in Great Britain, many of which sound totally different than they do in England. British could refer to any of them." But the same could be said of people in, say, Connecticut and Louisiana, but you still think of both of those as "American."

Same thing here.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Smart.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the last time I heard a Welsh accent is way back when Nickelodeon was running Dangermouse. :) 

19. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

This. It's a stereotype in American media that smart knowitall characters often speak with an English accent, so that's kind of a go-to accent for a scientist character. It can also indicate riches or snobbery. And I remember reading an editorial somewhere complaining about the common situation in tv and movies where the good guys have American accents, and bad guys have English accents. It seems a bit insulting, maybe...do you guys get revenge by giving stupid, oafish characters an American accent? :) 

And then there's the wierd situation in How to Train Your Dragon, where all the teens sounded American while all the adults were Scottish (despite being Vikings). Confused yet?

20. HugeBadWolf

HugeBadWolf XO in charge of radishes

News Credits:
    That's because we're all rich and clever, innit? :D 

Cheers,
    Doug