Perceptions of Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Verno, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    It must be said, I'm a Beast Wars fan, a BIG one.

I talk to fellow fans and I like to get their perceptions of Beast Wars. A lot say "It's not my thing" or "I never got into it" and that's fine, but I do try and understand why.

And I think it comes back to the old adage - a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I think there are several points that have given non-BW fans a warped idea of the franchise and what that continuity has done to their beloved Transformers.

The first point is the name - Beast Wars.

A fan with no knowledge of the story could assume that all the Transformers are now animals, but this couldn't be further from the truth.

The second point - The Faction Names.

No longer Autobots and Decepticons but Maximals and Predacons. This isn't helped by the new faction symbols/insignia. They're clearly bestial. And again to a non-knowledgeable fan it's another sign that Cybertron is now covered in animals for some reason.

A third point is the legacy of Beast Machines.

Beast Machines posed the idea that it was Primus' will that initiated the Beast Wars in order to bring the organic back to Cybertron. I believe this has altered people's view to now seeing the adoption of Beast modes as the next logical step in the Transformers' evolution. This, however, could not be further from the truth.

The Beast Wars was a flash in the pan. The period from which the characters originated, some 300 years after the end of the Great War, saw Cybertronians venturing out into space in peace. Exploration of other planets called for an ability to be versatile. An adaptability to a new climate. They are, after all, robots in disguise. When on a new planet, a new form was chosen that would best suit the conditions of said planet.

This may very well have been achieved by their normal Cybertronian forms. However, at some point in the 300 year past, an ability to take on a synthetic skin, created by scanning organic matter, was required, for whatever reason.

Therefore, the adoption of a 'Beast' form is not 'Option 1' on the response form, but one of many options available. The conditions of pre-historic Earth called for such an option, but other planets may not have.

This is what I mean about BW being a flash in the pan, a momentary adoption of a Beast mode, but not a permanent change. I believe that it was the belief that Cybertron was now covered in animals that scared fans. The old 'Truck not Monkey' fear is still alive and well, but only because people don't realise how insubstantial the actual 'Beast' part was.

I think I've made my point. It was clearer in my head last night and I should have gotten up and written it down.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    I recently got the Shout DVD boxset of Beast wars, it was the greatest weekend ever.

3. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Well I don't know about all that. But I really liked the Beast Wars too. (Or at least the show/series)

I think people tend to not like it because it was just something different from everything before it. It took some time for some to come around. I have to admit the very first time I saw it I was a bit unsure as well. But I kept watching and really ended up liking it.

4. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    At this point, I'd honestly just like to know where Airazor & Terrorsour's wings went in robot mode, and how they managed to fly without them in said robot mode.

... I can deal with Optimus Primal being a monkey just fine, especially since he's not Optimus Prime.

6. Verno

News Credits:
    Airazor's wings are on her back. Terrorsaur's shrunk and can be seen on his arms.

Transmutate could fly. We see her engage a crystal in her back which enabled this. It's probably something similar for Transformers with a non-engine flight system.

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wait, there are still people who dislike or are ignorant of Beast Wars? It seemed to me that Beast Wars is practically universally adored. Aren't nearly all of the Beast Wars characters in the hall of fame now?

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know someone who won't watch it because the CG is really bad compared to today's CG.

9. Wreck n rule

Wreck n rule Well-Known Member

I never saw all of Beast Wars, but I really liked what I watched. I didn't hate Beast Machines, I just don't like the way it ended. Namely, turning Cybertron technorganic. That part just didn't work for me.

But Beast Wars I loved. Interesting plot, interesting character, and some good humor at times.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Eh, er, um well, I never actually got into it. I'm not doubting the people who actually write the show and saying that they did a bad job, I just found the concept and basic plot odd. Sure it's something different, but I'm used to Anime-Formers, and screaming out names of attacks.

12. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Maximize and terrorize are fairly close to that.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    No, not really. "Maximize" isn't an attack. And aside from a few uses for dramatic effect, the command codes were dropped from constant use pretty quickly.

Uh, you mean Dinobot and Waspinator?

Because they're the only two in the HOF.

14. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I mean all of the crazy things like:
    Sonic Wing Mode!
    Super Mode!
    Something that the Cybertron Defense Team screamed out in that episode on Giantion

15. Prowl1

Prowl1 Raving Prowl Fanatic

I loved Beast Wars! Prior to Beast Wars, we U.S. Transformers fans had to endure the long dark of the post G1 era. All we were given during this time was a G2 comic and our memories of the golden era. Then along came Beast Wars, out of the blue and resurrected a phenomenon. It gave Transfans something to be excited about, to coalesce around. I remember when the writers started slowly, unexpectedly connecting the story to G1. I couldn't believe what was happening. I was one of those fans waiting anxiously from week to week to see more flashbacks and hear more references to 'The Great War'. It really was a great time to be a Transformers fan. Since Beast Wars, the brand has never really slowed down. I remember in those days, actually being able to afford and keep track of EVERY SINGLE figure released. Not anymore. Now the line is way more varied and diverse for me to collect every single thing. I have to pick and choose my pieces more carefully. To me, Beast Wars symbolizes a great moment in Transformers history. The end of a simpler era for us fans, it was also the end of the long dark and the resurrection of the property for U.S. fans and collectors. Oh, and Botcon '98 was fun!

16. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

This was only in the Japanese made entries of the BW saga. Given how wacky shows can end up over there, yeah it sadly happened.

But the American they dropped the codes pretty early on and this was a great show with a great centralized cast. How deep it went for a kids show(Code of Hero) was astounding at the time.

17. Ultra Brevis

Ultra Brevis State-employed peace-keeping agent, yes???

I just never liked the idea at all. I grew up adoring G1 in the UK with the marvel comic, and was "growing up" when Beast Wars came around. Big robots turning into organic beasts didn't do it for me. Didn't see why they would bother. Didn't like the unnecessarily garish colour schemes, just as I thought G2 was a bit silly. The whole robots in disguise thing went out the window.

Just my opinion, don't kill me for it!

I know people feel very passionate about Beast Wars.

18. Verno

News Credits:
    Nah man, thanks for being honest, and it sort of confirms what I thought about what turns fans off it.

19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I hated Beast Wars initially. Mainy for the aesthetic. Plus I thought the "Maximise!" thing was corny and Scorponok was in insult to the Headmaster Commander.

Strangely, I quite liked Beast Machines. I wasn't into Transformers at the time but I found myself watching it regularly. Despite being an old Marvel Uk fan, I had no problem with the ending. Only thing I didn't like were the Vehicons and their absence of legs.

When I did get back, I was picking up any Tf I saw, including a Spittor with a free BW VHS. I gave it a look and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I picked up Agenda soon after and for the first time since seeing TF:TM in 1987, I was blown away. Beast Wars is now my favourite TF show though Prime is getting there.

Some great characters on the show: Megatron (obviously), Inferno, Silverbolt, Tigatron, Rhinox, Terrorsaur. Slag, even the characters I don't like such as Rattrap and Dinobot, I will concede are well written. Let's be honest, Rattrap is meant to be a jerk.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This show blew my mind as a kid, when i first saw it back in 2004 when YTV started reruns of it.

Though I haven't seen Beast Wars in years. I'll need to get the DVD at some point.