People underestimate the DOTM toy sales (A First hand experience)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltimusPrime, Dec 11, 2011.

1. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I do not get where people think DOTM failed at retail. I am a seller on Amazon of Transformers toys and happen to be one of the featured sellers on that site.

I sell thousands of DOTM figures. Even when you could get them for free people were still buying them online. I literally sell hundreds per day of even shelf warmers. Why everyone seems to think the toys have failed is beyond me. I carry all lines of Transformers and I barely get any sales for Generations on Amazon. I have had several Junkheap up for over a week for around $16 and not one has sold. Most of my sales more then 90 percent are from the Dark Of The Moon and the Revenge of the Fallen lines.

Seems to me people underestimate the power of the Movie lines as I have first hand witnessed insane ammount of movie figures sales myself and I have only carried them since October and sold several thousand figures.

Why is there this false notion that the movie toys have failed?

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because they weren't massively pushed by Hasbro, and overstocked by retailers.
    They've also sold nowhere near the level ROTF sold.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People using the "eye test" when they visit their local retailers, since we don't have Hasbro sales figures at our disposal so what we see (plus speculation over the Soundwave/Wheeljack deluxe wave and HA Soundwave) is all people have to go on.

4. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

....because it helps justify their overestimation of the popularity of what they think SHOULD be made.

'It's nearly two weeks since the last Generations toy hit retail... HASBRO HATES G1!!!'

'

5. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Pretty much this.

Also, people love drama and it's far less interesting to hear about how well something is doing than to whip up a shitstorm claiming that the DotM line has 'failed'.
    The majority of the public and fans have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to giving an assessment of how well something is selling.

Good to hear that it is doing well. More TF sales = strong future for the brand.

6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only reason this worries me is Hasbro will probably say, "Hey, people don't mind the figures being slightly smaller than they were before. Let's make everything this size from now on." --Whether or not they come with MechTech weapons.

7. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Unless production costs freeze, or retailers agree to pay more, you're going to get less for your money in future.

8. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    That would be a nightmare.

9. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone here has any illusions about Generations. The line was born and bread to shelf warm. We mostly just count ourselves lucky that it moves well enough that it continues.

DotM, however, has had the stigma of only having a precious few toy waves. And it usually boils down to everyone in your area who wants a toy owning it within the first 1-3 months it's released. So many consider it a failure just because whenever they go, they only see the same old crap.

It doesn't help when pegs are cluttered by 'losers' like Lunarfire Optimus Prime, the Twins, and random Bumblebee repaint #63468. Which all that really says is that the good stuff has been picked dry and the rest of it will take forever to sell.

10. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Op, are you a reseller or are you a retailer? Wondering if perhaps you know anything more than the general public about soundwave (deluxe and HA), que, and dino

11. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

And yet they have.....

12. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Well, looking at your sales list on amazon, when you have DOTM toys for $10, and Windcharger for 39.99, Skyshadow for 18.99, etc. etc., it's not hard to see why you sell more DOTM toys than classics.

Now, as for "thousands"? Hmmmmm....

13. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What are your prices on DOTM figures? That could play a part of the sales. As for Generations not selling at $16. Maybe it is because they are priced at $16. I sure wouldn't pay that much when I know I'll see it at retail for $12.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

$16 for a Generations deluxe is a fair price, better than $23. It's all about perspective.

Which he can get away with charging if they sell like hot cakes.

15. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The false notion you are getting is from fans of this website that represent less than 5% of the general population that actually buys transformers or toys in general. Most of the people you are getting this notion from don't understand toy mass production and business in general. The "eye test" someone mentioned previously is also true. They look at the shelves and see loads of DOTM and think they are not selling. On the contrary, the toys have sold very well. In addition, when fans see that figures like RTS Wreck-Gar and windcharger, to name a few, are difficult to come by they think that those are clearly the most popular toys, when in fact they are just not as produced in as high numbers as the movie toys were (and then people think Hasbro hates G1, which I find hilarious). The week distribution of the RTS line also added to this perception.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  16. Optimum1996

Optimum1996 Insert something here

If I remember correctly the OP got them while there was those coupon offers that enabled most US members to get free DOTM deluxes,

17. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I have actually sold a ton of Sky Shadow but not on Junkheap.

I only sell extras cheap. I sold several NEW Windchargers for $20 in the past month.

Just not willing to sell my loose one so I have it priced at $39.99

18. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I actually only got about 180 free figures in October. I tried selling them on Amazon and have been buying them at retail to sell since.

I use coupons I get from Target and Gift card coupons to help keep my purchasing prices low.

I have bought about 10,000 figures from retail in my surrounding area in the past 2 months.

Every time I empty a shelf they fill it back up with DOTM Deluxes usually Wave 1. I have a ton of Barricade and Crankcase LOL.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

10,000? Really? :peoples: 

20. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Yes really. Not kidding you. I buy up so many its sick. I can swim in them like Scrooge McDuck!