people need realize how expensive TF films are.they need human parts to fill the gap

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OptimusPancake, Oct 10, 2011.

1. OptimusPancake

OptimusPancake Prime's Breakfest Chef

i hear so many posts about how they too much human action in the film. Believe me, i hate it too but its not like they can do a whole film of just the robots. That would be like 500 million dollars. They have a budget and the human parts help make the movie a bit longer and add some more plotlines.

2. darktremere

darktremere G1 Fanatic

I understand that movies have a budget and the human parts help keep the movie under budget. I personally think that listening to Spike complain really added to the overall plot line and the movie could have been a bit shorter without losing anything really important to the story line.

3. vipertaja

vipertaja Well-Known Member

What a wonderful creepy macabre title. Like parts of the movies are made of human flesh or something to save costs.
    "The movies...they're made of people! PEOPLE!" :lol 
    (obscure movie reference)

Anyhow. Human characters don't have to be bad. I think some of the movie humans are quite ok. Certainly not as bad as in the unicron trilogy.

4. OptimusPancake

OptimusPancake Prime's Breakfest Chef

Lmfaoooooo i literally just LOLD. My post does seem a bit creepily named

5. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This! thank you pancake. i'm sick of that complaint too. (and lol about the title)

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Even if money was no issue and somehow they could afford a 100% robot movie I don't think an all robot movie would be that great.

Humans can add a lot to something like Transformers. They give you a great feeling of just how big these robots are that you just wouldn't get from an all robot cast on Cybertron. They put the robots into something that feels like the real world so you could walk out of the movies and wonder if one of the cars in the parking lot was really an Autobot. They help to define the good bots and bad bots in the film because the Autobots mostly like humans and the Decepticons mostly don't give a damn about humans.

Really no issue for me about should humans be in a Transformers movie. I just want human characters that are interesting and seem like an important part of the story instead of humans and their story that feels like filler for the film.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Yes, they do need to realise.

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    The humans can have less screen time therefor creating an illusion that the robots are featured more?

I recently re-watched DragonHeart one of my favorite childhood films and I was surprised how little Draco actually did and how little he actually appeared in the movie. I thought he was featured A LOT more. That was a simple illusion because the movie was itself short and condenced so the scenes with the expencive CGI character came more often.

Seriosly we don't need a three hour film! An hour and a half is just fine.

And I agree with Ash, humans are needed in Transformers ficion! I wouldn't mind a full on robot cartoon but a movie not so much...

9. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh god, this threads to develop into a s#it-storm.

In essence, I do agree with you. In that as long they keep on making live-action Transformers films, there will always be the need for the human element. After all, they are the ones the audience are going to be relating to the most, not thirty-foot tall metal robots, regardless of their sentience. Also, as you said, it does help out financially. Humans sharing the screen with the robots is fine, though, as long as you like the human characters. In all three Transformers films there have only been two human characters I’ve consistently liked, Epps and Lennox.

Having said that, there’s no reason why the robots can’t be given more time to themselves. I do think that not all need to be fleshed out considerably, only the main two or three from each faction. I do think DOTM was a vast improvement in this regard, as Optimus and Sentinel were quite substantially fleshed out. I think someone who doesn’t know anything about Transformers would have left the cinema feeling as though they knew Optimus and Sentinel and what they were about.

Anyway, there have been two live-action films so far that have proven that CGI characters can be front and centre in an otherwise live-action film, Avatar and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. No reason why a future Transformers film can’t accompany them one day.

This is a very important point, but it also doesn’t really have much to do with the length of the film in question. I think a lot of fans get screen-time and screen-presence mixed up. If we watched the Dark Knight and timed how long the Joker actually appeared in that film I bet you anything it wouldn’t be a substantially long time. Maybe about 35-45 minutes, or maybe less, in a film that runs well over two hours. However, he’s the character that people remember the most from that film. Same with Darth Vader in the three original Star Wars films.

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Also another way way to give more lines to the bots - talking in vehicle mode!

Seriosly it's a movie about gian alien robots that turn into cars and have their own heaven when they die, it's not nearly as silly as most of the stuff we've seen.

But the thing is in TDK, Bruce Wayne a.k.a. Batman is the main character and we follow him throught his jorney, Joker is there to show up and make shit hit the fan. He's not supposed to be the main character he's supposed to be a force of chaos that the main charactre has to defeat.

The Autobots on the other hand were supposed to be the main characters and since we can't follow the mall the time we fill the gaps with human character. If those gaps were shorter the Autobot scene would come more often creating an illusion that they're the main characters while not noticing the filler human scenes as much as now since in the movies as they are now most of them really stick out like a huge torn in the buttcheak.

Having more non retarded human characters like Lenoxx and Epps and less DEEP WANGS would also help.

11. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

The sequels had a approximately 10-12 Autobots and 50 Decepticons per movie. As a moviegoer, the thought of all these robots is pretty cool. But then you gotta realize that these movies are on limited budgets and with all these robots to animated, the movie is gonna have a lot of human filler. So, how does a filmmaker make a Transformers movie on a $200ml. budget and give a story more focused on the titular characters?
    1. HAVE LESS ROBOTS. If the filmmakers used 7-8 Autobots and 8-10 Decepticons per sequel, then they'd have less expensive characters to animated and more time and money to show more of the few characters they have. Plus, it would give better characterization to both factions.
    2. SHORTEN THE LENGTH. Shortening the length of each movie would give more time and money to animated the robots, thus giving a story more focused on the robots. 1hr. 40min. - 1hr. 50min. are both reasonable lengths for an action movie.
    Now, I thought the focus on the humans worked for the first movie. But in the sequels it just became annoying, especially in ROTF with Sam's college life. But another factor on why the human aspect of the movies is so annoying depends on the filmmakers themselves. Who writes it, who directs it, who stars in it... Just my :2c: 

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Humans are needed because the whole point of transformers is that they are robots in disguise. On Cybertron they aren't exactly disguised even if they do have Cybertronian alt modes.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have that Wiggitywhack kid hogging much more awesomer people's screentime.

14. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    THIS. Not, you know, entire scenes of them speaking in vehicle mode, but similar to how Cybertron/Prime handled it. If the characters (I'll just use the Autobots as an example for now) speak, and we see the outside of their vehicle, have their headlights light up and flash in conjunction with their voice, a la Cybertron. And if we're inside the Autobots, then why not have their voice come on through the radio, a la Prime? Granted, they sort of touched on this with Bumblebee and his radio clips and audio clips used in vehicle mode. Consider when Ironhide pulls up in Shanghai in RotF. Just after Lennox and Epps exit Ironhide, his headlights light up. "Showtime." *proceeds to transform* Or the forest battle. Optimus is racing through the forest with Sam in the driver's seat. Optimus' voice comes on the radio. "Hold on, Sam!" Or when Soundwave has capture Carly in DotM, The tentacles surround her and his voice growls over the radio. "Escape: Impossible. Struggling: Futile." Just a line or two here and there in the trilogy. Nothing too fancy.

I think that this is something to explore in future films, be it sequels or a reboot.

Or we would end up with even less robot screentime, depending on the demands of the story.

15. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Who wouldn't want more robot dialouge, heck I'd re-watch DOTM in the theatre again if they added 10 minutes of extra robot footage.

But yeah, the ILM models that were created for TF's are like nothing else that we've seen before so it's very expensive.

Most of you know this, but for those who don't having more than one robot onscreen is very time consuming. Let alone just one robot.

16. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    So you're telling me that every film by pixar and every other digital studio out there that makes fantasticly storied films using nothing but cgi and animals or inanimate objects is impossible? Shenanigans. A tf movie excluding humans could be done, could be affordable and successful. Tf's are fully capable of emotion and studios are just as capable of creating a viable and sellable product in this manner.

Edit; I could really care less. Discuss lol

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    For me, it's not the size of the human roles that bothers me (that I understand perfectly), it's the absolutely horrible "actors" and "actresses" they hired for the roles. Turturro is the only major/returning actor in the movies that, as far as I'm concerned, has any actual acting talent. He's not great, but I can watch him in a movie without wanting to fast-forward. Granted I'm not counting Voight or the late Bernie Mac in this, due to their shorter, one movie, roles.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Plus without humans there's no sense of scale, no sense of uniqueness. By putting the TFs next to humans it makes them stand out as something fantastic in an otherwise realistic environment.

19. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I do not watch quite carefully scenes involving only humans too, but it is a film about people! And it does not make it worse! Think about could this war be such a tragic and ferocious, if the Autobots wouldn't love and protect the Earth and people?

20. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Digital expenses notwithstanding, Star Wars is living proof of an all digital film being feasible. You might make the argument that the bots have so much going on, unlike anything Star Wars, which I say, simplify them.

My biggest argument for simplifying the bots, and potentially cutting costs, comes from a number of crouched poses I've seen of DOTM Optimus Prime, and I can barely tell where his face is. The massive disconnect from not knowing where your lead is really detracts from a film.

Humanity in TF does not bother me. It's the Bayverse that bothers me. Ridiculous humans, stupid and completely unrelatable. To terrible acting skills, and a lack of emotional connection made these three films unbearable. Also the fact that these films could have been shorter and better paced were the absurd parent plots and girlfriend crap left on the cutting room floor.

So it's not that people need to realize humans are an integral part, it's that people need to realize the human roles were unwatchable in the films.