People Driving with Highbeams and Fog-lights on.... Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nkelsch, Dec 21, 2007.

1. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I have noticed a new Phenomenon while driving recently.

I have seen an increased number of people who are now driving with both HIGHBEAMS and FOG-LIGHTS on at all times, especially during the day.

The thing that really stands out is the fog-lights. No one needs those on, and every car I have ever seen it is an EXTRA STEP to consciously turn them on.

Does anyone know? Was there some CNN special report saying it was safer? Is it a political statement? Does it mean something like 'get the Fook out of my way?' (if it did you would think they could be targeted for aggressive driving)

I am just curious because I would say in my 8 mile commute home tonight I could identify at least 10 cars doing this. And for the most part if they ever were behind me, it became very dangerous for me to drive as these large trucks with brights and fog lamps practically blind you to everything behind you.

Anyone know?

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

People driving with high beams on pisses me off so freaking bad, like I stated in another thread, my eyes are extremely sensitive and I suffer from night blindness.

Nothing is worse than some jackass behind me with his high beams on at night filling all of my rear view mirrors with blinding glare, it makes me want to slam on my breaks.

I have noticed a lot of this going on as well, I only drive about 10 miles from work to home and have at least 2 or 3 of these jackasses every night.

I would love to know what the reasoning is behind this myself.

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    One of the funny things I noticed wile riding in cars in the US was the lack of people with lights on let alone with highbeams on all the time.

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was behind a really slow driver today, and I passed him. He got mad and started flashing his high beams and followed me. He then left his high-beams on as he followed me. What was funny is that he didn't go any faster. I got up two light and stopped in the left turn lane. He continued at his slow pace until he got behind me and almost rear-ended me. Then followed me through the intersection, but continued to drive really slow. I drove at my normal pace and he was falling behind. It was as if he was chasing me, but in slow motion. I lost him in the neighborhood. Thing is, I didn't have to try very hard. I drove my normal speed and just left him behind. Who chases someone with their high-beams on, but at a really slow speed?

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I usually have to keep my rearview mirror flipped up to keep drivers with highbeams and trucks from blinding me. And I *hate* when they're oncoming on a really twisty road in a residential area, where its almost impossible to NOT get your retinas burned before they even know you're there...happened to me once, I was blind for several seconds afterward and could have gone through someone's house or into the lake. Common courtesy to the people in the houses at least would have been to NOT use them...

Pet peeve of mine, too, obviously! :lol 

--Moony

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    interesting, most cars if you turn the high-beams on, it automatically turns off your foglamps, regardless of how you have their switch set.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    dumbasses. /red

8. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    A stupid driver, that's who. We've got lots of them here in Jersey. High beams in your face, tailgating, running red lights, turning or changing lanes without signaling, cutting people off, etc. These are just some of the things I see on a daily basis. That's why our insurance rates are so freakin' high.

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    People have always done that shit around here. Blinding is their business and business is good :( 

10. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I usually drive with my fog lights on as I can see a bit more. My night vision isn't the best so every little bit helps. As for high-beams, I only use those on the old highways out of town and try to turn them off well before I come up on other cars. If I do leave them on, it means I must have been really tired and forgot about them, which is very rare. I know I hate getting hit with them myself.

11. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

I've noticed this a lot too, people driving with all possible lights on even before dusk hits. Though honestly I can't say it's ever really bothered me much, if at all. I do sometimes feel somewhat inconvenienced when it reflects off my rear-view mirror, but it's a minor nuisance at best.

12. 35InchMudders

35InchMudders Well-Known Member

High beam drivers are irritating, but fog lights DO help.

I've noticed that when I run my foggers I get a better low level and wider view, so I run them. I live out in the country so having more light on the side helps spot animals.

Besides, foggers aren't aimed high enough to bother other drivers, so I don't get why so many people hate them.

13. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

The worst of it the idiots who will park in the road with the all their lights on talking to someone across the street. Then here you come along,can't tell that the other guy is parked,can't see if there are any cars beside him,can't see anything.

14. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    I know what you mean it is soooo freaking annoying!!!

15. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

I do use them - in rural areas that are very dark and there is no traffic. If I see another car coming I turn them to the regular mode.

16. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Well, the difference is... If someone has Highbeams on, it is hard to tell if it is actually highbeams or really bright regulars. But Foggers you can easily identify that they are on.

So I have begun to notice an increase in the use of foggers... And it usually corresponds with aggressive driving.

As for High beams turn foggers off, that is curious, I'll keep that in mind to see if that is how it works. Hell, my car may work that way, who knows?

Now I am all for flashing someone to move, especially self-righteous people who go 10 miles under the speed limit in the left lane, because a flash isn't going to murder anyone and drive them into a ditch. But when some vehicles have the brights on, it is like a lazerbeam which practically forces people to move or 'crash into something due to lack of vision'.

17. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Slam on your brakes is one way to fix the problem,another is to call the police on your cell phone to report your location and that you're be harassed by a reckless driver.

18. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    "Can't get enough of that sugar crisp."

"Guess I forgot to put the fog lights in."

19. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

They'r idiots is all. Over here I personally love it if someone isdriving towards me with their highbeams still on, because I just flip mine on, which I know is universally brighter than theirs. They drop them pretty damn quick...

20. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    If the flasher is in a truck and flashing at someone in a much lower passenger car, the flash CAN be blinding, especially if they're being asses and right on your bumper on a road clear of other traffic with other lanes they can use.

--Moony