People arguing transformers with me...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i started working at a comic store a few months ago, and theres a guy who comes in every week or two to sell us transformers....now, im no Nevermore, but i know a bloody lot about transformers....you can drop parts in front of me an 9 times outta 10 i can tell you where they go, the series, year of release, etc...but this monkeyturd constantly tells me "ive got stuff that'll blow your mind" then, like yesterday, brings in beast machines figures...like nightviper and longhorn...and he brings in japanese beast wars, most of which i have, and then tells me that im wrong and that theres no way i have them...killerpunch, galvatron from beast wars second, and the horrid repaint of the horrid transquito mold big mos just to drop a few examples....it bugs the hell out of me...but its really funny to shut him down when he pulls a figure out and i tell him the name and series....he has this look on his face like he cant believe that i actually know what it is...and the best part, ive shut him down continually for MONTHS and he still brings stuff in to 'confuse me'....anyone have issues like this with someone?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you go boy!

stupid comic book shop noobs trying to show up the clerks

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Wow. Remind me to avoid your store. I really hate those type of interactions with comic book shop owners. Hooray for ebay! Boo pretension!

4. Lumpy

News Credits:
    well, when someone continually comes in and tells me im wrong, i get defensive...if someone came to you at your workplace, and told you you were wrong, youd get the same way most likely...

5. racnruin

racnruin Decepticon

I worked at a comic shop for eight years people come in your shop whether it's comics,action figures,trading cards etc. thinking they got something ya want/need and there's either no demand for want they have or you all ready got plenty in stock and they react oh okay sigh and leave :confused:  that alway's drove me crazy :lolol 

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'd probably check to see if I was doing anything wrong.

Look, you do what you want. You're the employee. You made a post on this website, where a cavalcade of people reply; each of them has opinions. Now you know mine. ;) 

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What else are they supposed to do?

I can see getting pissed at the "know-it-all" guy who's never right, but getting pissed at the "sigh" reaction of someone who brings stuff in to sell that you don't want/need doesn't make any sense to me.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    nevermore should be a comic book shop clerk. hilarity would most certainly ensue.

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    He's probably wanting to sell his toys, and figures if he can make them appear all supa rare he'll get more money. If the store where you work is the only one around, it could be that shop is his only option... and you're the obstacle between him and untold riches...

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Like some of those guys are in demand. Face it, if they're as obscure as he claims they are, what makes him think they're going to fetch any money? They'd be so obscure that nobody would be in the market for them!

11. Colossus Prime

Colossus Prime Worshiping the Matrix

I work part time at a Blockbuster and get know-it-alls who are always wrong all the time. It's quite entertaining.

Comic shop wise the best story I've heard from the shop I go to, was the guy who claimed he had one of the first ever Batman comics from when it was published by Marvel. I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but my comic shop guy is more the type to just smile and nod and placate people like this enough to get them to leave as quickly as possible, so unfortunately there wasn't much more to the story.

12. Lumpy

News Credits:
    that part is true...before i worked there, he musta conned the owner into twice as much for toys....when i first started shopping there, i would look over the toys, and note that he had things listed as japanese exclusives that werent, and now ive realized it was all this guy getting more money then he should have been outta the store...but whatever...and ops, i understand your point, so its all good...

and racnruin, i understand that too...my favorite is when people come in with sports cards, which we dont carry or do anything with AT ALL, and they try to tell me that i should buy them anyway...we're a comic and anime store...but i should buy this guys 1992 fleer basketball cards because im a collectable store....or when i look up prices of figures, and the guides have the price at half of what someone wants, then they tell me im ripping them off....we use guides for a reason....if a figure is worth 20 bucks, the guides will most likely reflect that....now, if its something i know i can move for more, ill give more, but man, people coming in with loose star wars figures, and they want 10 bucks apiece for them, cuz they're old...and by old, i mean phantom menace....ah...the wonders of a store...

13. Lumpy

News Credits:
    QFT!!!

he brought in a Gigastorm (trypticon remold) from beast wars second, and told me it would sell for $300...loose....yet, the vintage 90% complete trypticon that we had sold for 80 bucks...(guides loose complete at 100)....

all of our regular TF guys that come in look at all the japanese stuff, and just dont know what its from...they do at least realize its a transformer, and i talk it all up cuz i love the japanse bw figures....but still, none of them have moved, cuz no one has seen a show or comic using those figures, except IDW's bw series, which helped finally move the lio convoy we had for months....

EDIT: btw, if you need any figs from any series, our store has a couple hundred that are for sale...PM me a list, and i will also trade for figs too...

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love tapping my inner Nevermore here and there (honestly the coolest term I can think of), if not because I've encountered cases like:

"The original Transformers cartoon was a dub."

"Beast Wars was way less mature than the old movie."

"My old 80's Transformers cars with the metal are all way more durable than anything out nowadays."

Though I do it more to inform than administer a popculture eyepoke, I admit. :D  I'm too nice.

15. BadJeff

BadJeff Bite my shiny metal ass!

I hate F'n salesmen.....Oh wait, I am one:lolol 

16. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

That's not too bad.
    This comic shop I used to go to where I used to buy the Cybertroniain Guides had this dude who worked there that always talked about transformers, and most of the time he was talking out of his back side.
    One day, he started talking to me about transformers, and said the other shop they owned had a lot of rare transformers in good shape, and to stay away from the reissues because they weren't the real thing...
    Anyway, I went to the other comic shop, and well, they had tons of beat up transformers, really beat up transformers.
    And they were waaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced.
    They had a Fort Max there that wasn't even transformed right, with no parts, no head, stickers all off, and it looked like it was buried in dirt for years. They wanted 150 for it!
    They also had the reissues that they guy told me not to buy, for 20 bucks over the price they were at tru...
    Some shops be crazy.
    Lumpy, it's good you are there to stop that dude from trying to get one over on people.
    I hate people like that.

17. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    My friend's buddy got a reissue Hoist at Toyrus for $5.99 and sold it to a comic/book toy dealer for $30.00.

18. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

....who then in turn probably sold it to someone for 45!:banghead: 

19. Lumpy

News Credits:
    reissues...now theres a story from this guy too...apparently, he has a source in hasbro, and according to this source, all reissued/remolded toys are actually vintage toys being released...ie, the gigastorm he brought in was actually made in 1986, but never sold...so hastak stored it for years, finally they remolded a peice, and released it in 1998....and all those takara and hasbro reissues, those were all made in 198whatever as well...

yup, i bet he did...or he sat on it for every, til he forgot what he payed for it, then clearanced it out for 5....on the one hand, good for your friends buddy, he got a good deal out of it, but on the other hand, that sucks...but, thats the business, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay....

20. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I deal with a know-it-all TF fan, I smile and nod, correcting them politely when necessary and referring them to sites (tfarchive, tfu.info, etc...) where they can research things themselves. There are common themes among most of those folks, though... "everything but G1 is crap", "I had all of them", "they're no good because they're plastic", "Hasbro stinks"... etc...

A couple of years ago (during Energon), I was in the toy aisle and saw a perplexed mom searching through the TF pegs. She held a piece of green construction paper with a bunch of names in crayon in a child's writing. I helped her find everything on the list, made some suggestions, and hooked up her kid with some of the sweetest stuff from Energon. I think things like that are the best way for us to share our knowledge.