Penguins staying in the 'Burgh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NeilJam, Mar 13, 2007.

1. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

The Penguins have reached a deal with city, county and state officials for a new arena which will keep them in the city for at least 30 years!

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_497458.html

Hockey is the only sport I really care about and I would've been really upset if the Penguins had left. Pittsburgh has needed a new arena for some time now, even more than they needed PNC Park or Heinz Field.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

KC seemed to be offering them a pretty sweet deal, the last I heard, and I was surprised to see they finally worked something out.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Glad to see the Pens stay. I hate when teams relocate, like the Colorado Nordiques, Phoenix Jets, Atlanta Flames, Carolina Whalers, etc, etc.

(Please ignore the fact that I'm a fan of a team that relocated not once, but TWICE! Kansas City, then Colorado, now New Jersey :p )

4. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, that's good to hear. Though now we have an arena with nothing planned for it. :lol  Hopefully we can get something to come through here that will make use of the giant disco ball.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Or the fact that one of those relocated franchises beat your relocated franchise for a Stanley Cup?

:p 

I'll agree, it's nice to see a franchise stick around with it's hometown, especially a team with young stars like Crosby and Malkin that could turn the team into a huge contender in the near future.

6. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

I agree with what he said, except for the last part (me not being a fan of the Devils). I'm in Montreal, where our "team" is almost 100 years old. (No wonder it's falling apart...)

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I'm a Pittsburgher since birth, and I couldn't care less. Not to rain on the parade or anything. I mean, the Commonwealth and the city (both of which have had major financial problems in recent years) have bent over backwards to keep them here, and I think it's kinda ridiculous. The Penguins haven't been anything to be proud of for years and the Pirates are a joke. The only team we have of any worth is the Steelers.

As for what they'll do with the Mellon Arena - hey, it's always been good for ice skating shows (Disney on Ice or whatever) and WWE events.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Penguins should have moved to Quebec, where hockey is a real religion. That said Spekkio, you've never been this close to a Stanley Cup with Crosby, Malkin, Whitney, Gonchar & the others.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Yeah, the Pens would have sucked just as bad anywhere else. A new arena won't change that.

10. theLostSeeker

Uh… I don't know if you follow hockey, but the Pens are serious Stanley Cup contenders, thanks to all the top draft picks they got from sucking throughout all those years. They are 5th in the East, and 11th overall. Which isn't that bad considering how they were dead last in the league for such a long time.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

See, I take a "believe it when I see it" attitude, because both the Pirates and Penguins have a habit of getting great teams together and then losing them to wealthier teams because they can't / won't pay the money necessary to keep good players.

12. TheIncredibleHulk

Seems like the same thing with the Steelers. They won the Super Bowl, then it seems like they lose their good players.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I don't think they follow hockey or even know who Sidney Crosby and Evgeny Malkin are.

14. theLostSeeker

I think that's the sad reality of what professional sports is coming to: $$$

15. A_U_T_O_B_O_T

A_U_T_O_B_O_T G1 Fan

When has it not been like that?

Also I gotta say being a Pens fan it's awesome that they are staying in the Burgh.

16. DevilzFan

25 years ago. The 80's were the last time for real dynasties. Meaning players staying with the same team for many years and not cutting and running when bigger money came along.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

I see only one solution:
    [​IMG]

18. DevilzFan

:lol 

And #%$^ing Penguins last night!