Peg Joints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omega Charge, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    They're the one of the worst if not the worst idea in Transformers engineering.
    It might seem like an easy way to get 360 degree articulation in arms or legs, but I'd rather have no movement at all. They just pull out too easily when they're the anchor holding on an appendage. Second problem would be with clip joints(stuff like the joint at Energon Inferno's shoulder, my worst case). I don't know if they do those anymore, but I'd avoid that too.

In Animated, I've heard about a few toys with peg joints, and I'd have to say that they cut my chance of getting a figure in half. I hope Hasbro's reading this. So which toys have them and which don't?

Cybertron Mode Prime = no
    Earth Mode Prime(Voyager) = yes, on leg
    Earth Mode Prime(deluxe) = no
    Prowl = no
    Ratchet = on leg?
    Bumblebee = no
    Lockdown = no
    Grimlock = on leg?
    Snarl = no
    Cybertron Mode Megatron(Voyager) = no?
    Cybertron Mode Megatron(deluxe) = no
    Leader Megatron = no?
    Starscream = yes, on legs. Worst case.
    Lugnut = no?
    Voyager Bulkhead = no
    Leader Bulkhead = no
    Blackarahnia = no
    Soundwave = no
    Oil Slick = no
    Sentinel Prime = no
    Blitzwing = on arms?
    Jazz = no

There don't seem to be too many, but some like Blitzwing, Ratchet, and Grimlock are on the line here. I'm skipping Starscream already because of this.

Any input, maybe from people who have the figs, would be much appreciated.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I agree about the peg joints. Animated Ratchet does have them, and yes they've popped off on mine. I don't think Grimlock has any, but if it does I haven't had any issues with it.

3. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Gluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue it?

I mean, it makes for nice poseability but not so much for durability. Many of them are not needed for transformation, glue it.

Also the fix of expanding the peg works great. I did it on my starscream and he is now perfect. You can do it with a candle and a metal knife. heat it, melt the ridge of the peg to expand it out, then cool it, pop it in and BAM!

4. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I put a little superglue around the hole, a little on the peg, let them dry (very important!) and then put 'em back together. Works almost every time. If not, I repeat, and then it works.

5. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Yes, I saw all those fixes and everything, but I'd rather just not pay money for the figure in the first place. I can live without the bad ones so far, if it's a figure that looks too cool to pass up, you'll bet I'll take your advice. But there are other, better Animated toys that I can buy with no assembly required.

6. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. nkelsch

Considering the almost absurd safety and 'drop-test' and choking parts guidelines they are forced to design toys under, I am surprised the toys look as good as they do. I mean to some point, the toys have to be able to BREAK to be safe. So I am perfectly alright with modding my toys to make them collector friendly.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    that's for saftey, same with Ratchet and ther figs. Hasbro HAS to put them in. Besides, they're mushroom pegs. It's not like they just pop off after being rotated a lot like weapons pegged in hands.

What? Starscream doesn't have any peg joints on his legs. I'm holding him right now and I can't get his legs to pop off. EDIT: No wait, yes, but again, it's not like it's a solid peg, it's a mushroom peg.

9. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. It seems you got good figures and hopefully the majority are like that. I totally understand the safety regulation thing, but I don't quite get how the joints make the toy safer. I like living dangerously XD.

10. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i do hate them

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    That way if the joint breaks it only pops off and isn't broken for good. Also with certain figs it could leave a jagged sharp edge and that is bad news bears.

12. nkelsch

Broken plastic is easily confused for candy... I often see broken plastic and have to resist the urge to shove it in my mouth and digest it.

Sadly because of this, the government has to over-regulate toys. So we all just accept it.