peer pressure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by whoamidri, Aug 18, 2010.

?

does peer pressure influence your buying decisions?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2010.
  1. Heck naw! No one tells me what to do

21.4%
  2. I get what I want but I use reviews and opinions to help guide my decisions

58.6%
  3. Once or twice I may have succomb to the pressures of the public opinion

15.7%
  4. Well, sometimes the public opinion is too much to resist

2.9%
  5. Absolutely! I eat electrograss and grow brillo pads all over my body bahhhh

1.4%
  1. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

:inquisiti With all the talk about Drift and how cool he is and blah blah blah I am starting to feel like I need to get him, even though I've seen him at stores but wasn't that interested at the time.
    I guess I'm wondernig if you guys are ever influenced to buy a figure by the excitement of other fans?

Or am I just a weak willed sheepacon?
    (answer is no):throw 

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

To be honest, most of this fandom's taste in figures is so strikingly different from mine that I ignore hype and just buy whatever I fancy.

I was almost tempted to buy the Seacons set because people were freaking out over it. Upon watching some reviews I decided against it because he's got so many things about G1 toys I loath entirely.

3. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Nah, you are not alone. I have bought quite a few figures because of all the hype that, to me , didn't live up. It happens, you read the reviews, read all the comments about how it's the end all bestest TF Ever, then you get it home and it's, Ehh, to you.

4. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I only bought TFA Blurr because Thew said he was awesome. And then it turned out that he really was awesome, so it was a win/win situation.

I'm also tempted to get Drift because of all the OMG HE'S A TOTAL BAMF YOU GUIZ posts I see around here...but as I know zero about his character, he's on my low-priority list.

5. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    Sometimes I'll pass up a figure, but later reviews and seeing him in real life make him something I highly consider. Like leader class Starscream, I had no intent of getting him until I saw him in person at the store and then I knew that I had to check him out. But, the raving about him surly put him in that position in my mind to make his purchase even possible. I usually don't care about the hype, but once and awhile the figure lives up to it, and that's a choice I have to make for myself.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think you should look at reviews and decide on your own. I am not sure what kind of collector you are. But I collect for good engineering design, and that's why I have him. To each his own. Think about what you like in a transformer, and see if Drift matches your crit.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A couple of times I've been swayed by the enthusiasm of others but mostly I just make up my own mind.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've tried to avoid getting into CHUG. But when I saw Thrust, I got him anyway. That said, I've seen Drift, and Drift does not interest me at all. I don't like his car mode, and I just simply see no attraction to him.
    With Thrust, Thrust has always been my favorite seeker jets, and I thought his Generations Mold was pretty cool. Now that I have him, and love his articulation, I plan on getting more CHUGs. I just won't be getting Drift no matter how popular he is. If the style doesn't attract me, or has no meeting to me, I'm not getting that figure.

9. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I collect based on what characters I want, though there have been a few times I've picked up someone because I though he looked cool in person. The main reason I picked up Drift was because he's the first new G1 character we've got in a long, long time.

10. whoamidri

I was actually asking for your own opinion on how post influence you, but thanks for the advice.
    I will prolly not pick up drift b/c he doesn't really appeal to me personally.

I have no set list I go by when deciding to buy a new figure pure seat of the pants shoot from the hip type guy ova hea

11. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Definately happens, even after seeing a not so stellar review of something sometimes if it's in demand I want it.

I still have my Piranacon on order, hopefully I won't change my mind I have seen reviews and I like what I see.

I did beat the system the other night, non TF I had up a POC Cobra Alley Viepr, and at the time I also had the Rebuplic Commandos GH, I was thinking do I want these or do I really want to go spend just $10 and get another set of Halo minifigs to paint so they can go with my Arctic Warthog.

So my own wants and ideas beat the peer pressure this time.

It's a hard thing to do, and as usual there will be the people who say they don't but I know like me everyone buys soemthing new now and again either because it's new and shiny or it's been hyped up.

This also happened with the G1 Universe Legends, except they were totally cool and I passed on teh 4 harder to find ones, so I am making up with the repaints.

12. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I'll pick up characters I think look cool on occasion, if I don't have anything in particular I'm searching for at that moment. But most of my collection is based on characters/specific lines, and I'm not usually influenced based on hype.

I wouldn't have picked up Drift on my own. He was a gift from boyfriend when he got home from San Diego Comic Con. He thought I would like him. And he was right. Drift, along with WFC Bee, is what kickstarted my interest in the Generations line.

13. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

I stopped taking reccomendations from fans after I bought ROTF Mixmaster because everyone said he was amazing... BLAH!

14. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Naw, I don't ever let anyone influence me on my purchases. I only get what I personally am interested in.

15. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Look at it:
    [​IMG]

You like it?

If yes, then get it.

Sorry to over-simplify, but it kinda is that simple...

16. whoamidri

oh great now I want Thrust :lol  . Actaully, I saw him in the store and he does look kinda cool I may pick him up

17. whoamidri

forgive me but I am not asking if i should get it. I've already thought about it and I am not.

18. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    But... But...

[​IMG]

:lol 

~Matt Booker

19. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    It's cool..
    It was just an example.
    That pic could of been of any TF.

20. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I did feel pressure on Bludgeon. I mean, it's a great robot sculpt and all, but as a toy he's...meh. When they actually give Drift some interesting colors, I'll think about it. But a sword and Japan-ish flames aren't enough for me to care.