Customs: Pearl paints: just what are they exactly?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by clay, Feb 8, 2008.

1. clay

clay Well-Known Member

I have a few model paints that are named pearls (purple pearl, dark green pearl, etc.). What's the significance of 'pearl', if any?

2. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

A pearl is a tiny round flake which, like the surface of a real pearl, can reflect a certain colour when viewed from an angle. If you were to take a pure pearl (No pigments) and view it, it would appear white from face on, view it slightly from the side and it reflects a purple or green or whatever colour. (When mixed with a pigment, they lighten and enhance the colour without washing out the tone) Pearls that have multiple sides can create an allusion or hologram where it reflects multiple colours depending on the angle. These are called Mystiques or chromallusion. Pearls give a softer effect than metallics.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Although odds are you don't actually have pearl in your paints.

Pearlescent paints are usually obtained by mixing mica flakes in with the pigment. This gives them a similar kind of iridescent quality to that found in a pearl.

I'm a frequent user of Inscribe's Pearly Glaze, myself, which is basically a gloss glaze with mica particles suspended in it. I find it has a pearlescent effect when laid onto paler colours; whites, pinks, and other pastel shades; when brushed onto brighter colours I tend to get more of a metallic feel.

But basically the mica particles cause a little refraction in the light, and you get a shimmering effect.

4. clay

clay Well-Known Member

Thanks guys :)