PCC Steamhammer w/ Constructicons

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by updatedude, Nov 27, 2010.

1. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for two nice reviews with good pics. These 5-packs look better by FAR than the first six. Oh, and the increasing toy pile at the end of this review is hilarious.

One question, though (and sorry to pick on you): no pics of the commanders' individual bot modes?

3. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Nice review there!

4. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    The constructicons definitely have the best limb modes yet, in my opinion.

5. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

I'll get to them tomorrow. I kinda forgot to do 'em, but I'll have to wait for the sun to come up before I'm able to take decent pics.

I actually left out a final pileup with Highbrow on top.

Edit: Oh wait, it's there. Silly me.

Thanks!

Amongst the best, yeah.

6. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the pics! I'm looking forward to the new PCC. The first wave left a bad impression, and I gave them all to my nephews a few weeks ago. Hopefully the Dinobots and Constructicons can change my mind.

7. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I picked up the Constructicons set from Wal-Mart yesterday, it's pretty excellent. If I had to fault it, I wish the combined mode head was disguised a bit better in regular robot mode, and getting his robot head to pop back up when putting him in robot mode is a huge pain. It's like it's a really tight joint or something and I can't get a grip on his head because it's so small. I actually haven't been able to get it to pop back up since putting him in vehicle mode after taking him out of the packaging.

Gotta say, the Decepticon PCC 5-packs have really blown the Autobot ones out of the water. I've gotten the Combaticons and Destructicons and they're both great. Aerialbots just don't look as good in my opinion, the Dinobots don't interest me at all, and I'd probably be more interested in getting the Rallybots set if it didn't have serious quality control issues with Double Clutch.

8. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Guessing not, based on your photos (and others), but does Steamhammer's brute mode head turn?

9. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah, but barely.

Here's my review.

[​IMG]

10. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Destructicons and Combaticons are nice, although the Combaticons (my set at least) are horrendously loose. If I picked up a combined Bombshock (or any commander with Combaticons attached) and moved him about he'd lose two legs and an arm immediately. My combined Bombshock stands proudly on my shelf, though, and is one of the best-looking bots I have up there.

Destrons are pretty nice - the aerialbot repaints are nicer than the originals (unlike the Protectobots who managed to make their two aerialbots even more garish than before), while the Huffer repaint in black just oozes attitude. Huffer did as well, but Crankcase does it more menacingly. Constructicons are also solid, good-looking, and very even in size (no single long, anorexic arm down one side, or rather, it's not that obvious and out of place).

I haven't gotten Rallybots thanks to Double-Clutch's problems, and while Aerialbots fit very firmly I'm not too fond of their shape, and the Protectobots drew the short straw on which two aerialbots were repainted for their set. Dinobot appeals a lot to the G1/Classics/homage fans, or those who just love Dinosaurs, but they're only ever going to look good on that one commander, and they're rather out of place in my vehicle collection (although I'm thinking of picking up some Dinobot figures from the Animated line, and then I'll probably like Grimstone more). So yeah, Decepticons all the way! Even their commander 2-packs are more awesome, and when the Autobots try to steal them with repaints, they don't have the same effect. On the other hand when the Cons repaint a Bot, they end up looking better!

11. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    This guy looks really good. Thank you for the pics.

12. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I'm really not interested in getting the 5-packs with repainted drones, since I'll inevitably end up with some duplicates because I've already got all the Decepticon sets.

Haven't had any problems with my Combaticons being loose, although I've had some intermittent issues pegging Bombshock's legs together for his vehicle mode. The biggest problem with any drone I've had is the dune buggy drone for the Destructicons not pegging well on Mudslinger's connector peg, but that seems to be not uncommon.

I agree that even the two-packs are favored towards the Decepticons - I would love to pick up Smolder, Icepick, and Sledge, I'm just not willing to pay $10 a pack for essentially Scout-class figures. Likewise, $20 for the 5-packs was way too much, I'm glad Wal-Mart has been selling them for $15. Maybe I'll pick up the Aerialbots and Rallybots on clearance or something, but I've got no intention of getting the Dinobots set.

The only 2-pack I've got is Huffer (got him half-off at TRU during a sale). I like him a lot, I think his vehicle and robot modes are really great, and I like his torso mode. My biggest problem with him is his insultingly easy transformation. I've got G1 bots from the 80s with more complex transformations than him and it's a shame.
    Also I'm not a huge fan of any of the goofy translucent mini-cons from the two-packs. I think the only one I haven't outright disliked is the one with Icepick.

13. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not only is that an issue with me, but I feel like some of them are just lack luster in general.

14. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I mean it's not like I have anything against minicons, I've got a bunch of really cool ones from earlier lines. I love Strongarm (the little police car), and Deepdive (the little submarine) is amazing.

But these PCC ones just... don't turn into anything. Their "armor" modes are crap, their "weapon" modes seem half-cocked because you can often see robot bits like heads and stuff in weapon mode, and the translucent plastic doesn't do them any favors.
    Caliburst doesn't feel like he has different "modes" so much as you're just kinda twisting his limbs around into different random positions that kind of look like stuff if you look at him from the right angle. He's not actually "transforming" the way Deepdive turns into a submarine.
    Hell, at least the old 80s Targetmasters actually turned into guns and tended to disguise their robot modes.

Packing in a crappy mini-con really doesn't justify the PCC two-packs' $10 price tag.

15. Agent Adam

News Credits:
    Especially considering we use to get them with deluxe figures for the same price eight years ago.

"But these PCC ones just... don't turn into anything"

Exactly. I believe they are a victim of trying to do too much for such a small toy. The clear plastic is the nail in the coffin really. I bought Steelshot, the repaint of Bombshock, who comes with a repaint of Searchlight's minicon. The minicon still doesn't turn into anything recognizable, but looks better in robot mode with solid plastic as opposed to translucent.

16. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

Beacon/Backwind (the Steelshot/Searchlight minicon) is my least liked of the lot. His transformations are just terrible. He's also twice an autobot, so that nerfs the autobot combiners even more. =) The only two I really like are Pinpoint (because his bot mode looks really nice and his turret mode is okay) and Chainclaw, who looks great in both robot and turret mode. Chopster/Razorbeam looks pretty decent in turret mode too, while Throttler only really shines in armour mode. Caliburst/Darkray is okay for armour if you remove his gun, and not bad as a turret, but I don't like his bot mode - his arms are attached way too high. None of the minicons have a weapon mode I like, not even Chopster.

I looked at some new minicons but they only went from robot to vehicle - there was no way to put them onto the Combiners and make them add an extra turret or something, so I didn't buy them. I guess it's due to me not actually being a Transformers fan much before this (only started after watching the movies and then started collecting Combiners with my kid too), and treating the minicons more like accessories for the Combiners. Maybe that's what Hasbro was thinking this time around too, but I'm really a minority market.

Has anyone attached minicons onto Steamhammer yet?

17. Agent Adam

News Credits:
    I apologize for the quality of pictures my webcam produces. :redface2: 

[​IMG]

18. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Would you be more forgiving of them, if they had been coloured to match the Transformer they come with?

19. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Somewhat, yeah.
    Their designs are still pretty crap, though.

20. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As PCC's go, this set is the best overall. Steamhammer is a pretty nice little scout class in his own right, only burdened by a lot of back kibble in robot mode. I think its forgivable given that he's hiding a 3rd mode in such a small package. The combined mode is really good on this one as well. The limbs are pretty convincing, I like the uncommon forms, and have give him a nicely G1 feel.