PCC Smolder and Chopster PIC Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Deceptigtar, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is the pictorial review for the upcoming Powercore Combiners series, or PCC, Decepticon Smolder and minicon Chopster!

So I will keep this short, some will like these, others will hate it. This line is definitely, like most other TF's lines are for the kiddies. Easy transformation of the basic sized figure and easily attaching drones that transform into legs and arms. Some people will not like the fact that the drones have no robot modes but I kind of like the fact this is a different take in a sense with the whole combiner idea, kind of like ROTF supreme Devastator, or Armada Prime.

There is a lot of playability here and great ways to use your imagination. The minicon Chopster has a few different ways you can transform and pose how you feel like. The minicons have 4 modes. 1. Weapon mode. 2. Vehicle weapon mode. 3. Robot mode and 4. Power-up armor.

The following pics will showcase how the minicon can be used and posed as well as some of the combaticon drones, which to me do not look good on Smolder so I am sure down the road there will be a set that makes more sense with him.

Chopster
    This little guy is neat. Works a gun on the truck and an axe with Smolder or shoulder canon. One thing you will notice is that the official bot mode has his legs forward with the axe sides as his shins. I personally like the look of them backwards so I switched the legs and allows for a better setting when in gun mode on top of the truck. But to each their own which is why this is a neat little minicon. He has Gatling gun styled arms with a face that has a monical, scoped eye appearance.
    Correct feet:
    [​IMG]
    Switched feet:
    [​IMG]
    Also notice with them turned around the bottoms actually look like forward feet:
    [​IMG]

That's it for Chopster on his own so lets see him with Smolder.

Smolder
    Smolder is the base of the combiner teams. He is about a little taller than a basic and a shy short than a deluxe. He is a red firetruck, which is interesting for a Decepticon. Chopster can be placed on top in alt.mode for added fire power. You can place Chopster in a few different poses on Smolders alt. mode such as the gun and even axe mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bot mode:
    Here is Smolder in bot mode. Has lots of great pose-ability and interactions with Chopster here. Smolders alt. head for when combined can even be used in this mode. I like the idea of when he is using his minicon as a weapon he goes into a power type mode and changes to a battle masked type styled head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Combiner mode:
    Here is Smolder with some drones. This is just to give you and idea of how they work and size comparisons. This is also the mode you will use your minicon(s) for the power up armor mode. Chopster can be posed a few different ways here as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice review, Smolder's the PCC I'm looking foward to the most. The only real downside I see is the shoulders for combined mode.

3. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the shoulders that high just give him a beefy look. you can lower them buy moving the arms. the only thing is where you connect the limbs do not move the same on each basic figure. you will see what i mean with bombshock and team.
    [​IMG]

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's got interesting head sculpts.

non-combined: G1 Inferno and the Shredder had a baby.

combiner-mode: G1 Hotspot and a Stormtrooper had a baby.

:) 

5. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this dude! Solid little scout with a versatile minicon and a brute mode? I'm in. Articulation looks good for the size class, and an unusual altmode (for a Decepticon) certainly is a bonus.

I'll agree that Chopster's chestplate mode is...a little awkward, but as minicons go, looks solid. The targetmaster minicons were my favourites from A/E/C, and I might just have to go dig them out of my boxes when PCC hits.

As for brute mode proper, yeah, the combaticon drones aren't a great fit. But I'm sure I'll shuffle combinations around whent he other drone sets hit.

6. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Thanks for the pics....however...I'll be passing on these pieces.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    great review. I can't wait to get Smolder and the other PCC figures.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review Deceptigar. He looks like such a fun little dude. Can't wait to see these on shelves.

Oh, and I think Peaugh had a different arrangment for the combined modes shoulders in his video review!

9. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

He looks VERY cool. Thanks for the pics - it reinforces Peaugh's video review of the guy.

I like that they're going "Scramble City" kinda sorta with the limbs (like they did with Energon), and I like how the limbs are interchangable as arms with arms, legs with legs... pity no limb bot modes (even simple ones), but with the spring loaded transformations, I can see why.

I'm liking the whole idea in theory, but of course, I'll have to see it in person for final judgement. Still, Smolder looks pretty sweet, and the minicon with him looks kinda cool too. I don't suppose there's a way to transform Chopster into a gun Smolder can hold? The connections don't look like it... looks like his only "hand peg" is at the gun tip... the gun connection seems like it's just a standard Minicon socket.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Once again, great review. I love Chopster, but when a guy has machine-gun arms, how can you not? Smolder looks great as well, but his torso mode looks a little... off.

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    nice review.

the toy looks cheap, reminds me of $5 KOs.

12. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please tell me where you buy your KOs, Powersa.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  13. Deceptigtar

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what? these are not kos. or you talking to powersa?

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry -- yes, I was addressing Powersa. Should have quoted, I guess.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i don't think these look like KO's at all... i think they look like the next phase of our beloved brand... i'm not sure how i'll position his shoulders...

16. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I wish they didn't have the limb combination points universally blue across the line, it sticks out too much on figures like this.

Mini-con "armor" mode is just "my axe is stuck to my chest"? Lame. Oh well that still leaves 3 decent modes.

At least they've more or less figured out how to make the central guy look decent in both standalone and plus-drones-combined modes, unlike Energon Optimus.

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I gotta say, I really like this guy. I love the delicious irony of an evil firetruck. :D 

Maybe I should get a second one of these for Shattered Glass Inferno.

18. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's my take:

CHOPSTER

Minicons are baaaaaack ! Rejoice !

Chopster's robot mode - for it's easiest to start here - is mainly clear orange with black arms and upper legs. Both colours are found on Smoulder so I guess they're gang moulded together which reduces the chances of Minicon (or Minicon/Drone Limb) multipacks. Boooo ! The shoulder & hips are ball joints with the knees bending. He's got one Minicon socket on his chest and a gun running up his back attached to a hinge on his bottom - bend it down and use is as a tail! His arms are shaped like 4 barrelled gatling guns giving him some weapons in robot mode.

Chopster transforms into a cannon for Smoulder's vehicle mode: Turn so he's chest side down. Fold both arms forward, so they and the gun up the robot's back are pointing in the same direction as the head. Fold the lower legs back so they cover the upper legs then fold all 3 barrels so they face away from the head. Peg onto Smoulder via his vehicle mode Minicon peg on his roof. You assume Chopster's a water cannon due to Smoulder being a fire truck but he might just be a flame thrower if Smoulder belongs to the sort of fireman seen in Fahrenheit 451. Given that he's a Decepticon this seems likely !

Chopster also forms a different hand held weapon for Smoulder. From robot mode fold down the gun barrel down the robot's back. Fold the arms down straight so the ends are behind the robot's hips. Bend the legs forward at the hips, fold to the sides at the hips and then turn each leg 180 degrees at the hips so the blades on the front of the legs face down. Bend the legs at the knees so what was the heels touches the tops of the robot chest. This axe mode can be held by it's handle by any toy with a 5mm peg hole right the way through their fist - the points of contact are a couple of rings mounted a little way (4mm) up the axe's shaft. As a bonus this mode also makes a passable jet plane !

Finally Chopster also form body armour for Smoulder. Without instructions I can't say exactly what it should be but it would seem to be some variation on the axe mode attached to Smoulder's chest peg. He looks silly with the handle/gun barrel up by his face obscuring it so it has to be the other way up. Which means the handle/gun barrel - which is on a hinge - ends up at waist level. Whichever way it gets bent - down, up or sticking out - it looks like male genitalia after that !

Decent robot, gun & axe modes. The chest armour is a tad dodgy but that's not bad for a toy of this size.

SMOULDER

Smoulder's the first of the Powercore Combiner figures I've obtained so they'll be a little more detail here than on the other reviews. He comes with a Minicon - Chopster - which I'll review separately. He certainly knows how to make an entrance - he, Bombshock and Seaspray arrived on Saturday while the TMUK guys were gathering in my living room for Swincon. So while the family and I went through the bath 4 Scotsmen were enjoying pre-release Transformers toys!

Smoulder's a fire truck - a support vehicle for a Fire Engine. Essentially he's a pickup truck with a box on the back - quite similar to G1 Trailbreaker. His dimensions are 9.5cm long x 4.5cm wide x 4cm tall. He's the same length as ROTF Dead End (Nightbeat/Slapdash) and the cab is the same width too - it's the box on the back of the pickup that gives him the extra width, height and bulk. In an odd way he reminds me of the chunkiness of Energon's Strongarm. The primary colour of the toy is a dark red,with black for the front bumper & wheels and clear orange for the light bar. He has some white painted details on the truck including a Decepticon logo which Mr Burns points out is painted as if on fire. Nice.

On the top of the roof at the back, making a very welcome return, is a Minicon Socket - this is used for mounting Chopster in cannon mode where I presume he acts as a water cannon..... though given that it's a Decepticon toy he's Chopster's more likely to be a flame thrower with Smoulder as the sort of fireman seen in Fahrenheit 451! Incidentally, for those who might have been worried otherwise, the Minicon ports on this toy are the same as the older Minicon ports - I attached Longarm to Smoulder as a test - allowing old Minicons to be attached to the new Powercore toys.

In what is possibly a first for a Transformer toy of this size Smoulder has an opening bonnet - hood to our American readers. Fold up from in front of the cab windows taking the bumper up with it revealing an engine compartment containing two square blue blocks. Yes it is just to tuck the Powercore connection points away but it does look like Smoulder has some alien machinery for an engine which is a nice touch.

Transform: Remove Minicon. Fold the bonnet up, and the two Powercore connectors out to the sides. Turn toy over so the underside faces up and orientate so the head is at the top. Split the back of the vehicle in two by pulling out to the sides and up. Shoulders will be revealed and these parts want to be extending from the body at right angles. Fold the panels with the wheel arches in back 180 degrees and fold the arms down. Fold the cab forward 180 degrees to form the legs. Fold the lightbars up and then the cab roof up to form the feet. Stand.

Far bigger and chunkier than the ROTF Scouts, Smoulder's robot mode feels like a return to the glory days of the Energon scouts. In many ways he reminds me of Strongarm which is one of my yardsticks for toys of this size. He's 11cm high to the top of his head - 13 to the top of the shoulder units (think Laser Prime's shoulders) - the widest point of the toy is the 8.5cm from shoulder to shoulder. The colours are spread out thus in robot mode - black feet, upper legs, head & neck, shoulder connection bars and lower arms. Lower legs, body and upper arms/shoulders are the red. No new clear orange here, just the vehicle lightbars on his feet now. Sadly this means now lightpipe for his robot mode head which is more in the traditional style than then ROTF toys. He's got a gold face with protruding black horns but the horns come through a nicely moulded fireman's helmet ! Two new Decepticon symbols are revealed on the front of each shoulder panel. Hands are back to the moulded fist with 5mm peg hole drilled right the way through. A result in my opinion allowing him to use older Transformer weapons. It's here he can use another of Chopster's modes - he becomes an axe which Smoulder can hold by the handle.

Smoulder's vehicle mode Minicon peg has ended up on the back of his right shoulder, which isn't too useful in this mode with Chopster. But Smoulder does have a second Minicon peg in this mode. It's mounted in his chest and folds up - almost like a small chest cannon. The purpose of this peg is to allow you to mount Chopster in armour mode..... the problem here is Chopster's handle then is, ahem, at waist level and pointing.... well it doesn't really matter which way it's pointing to be honest, it leaves little to the imagination what it looks like.

I can see the chest peg being useful to use certain other Minicon's alternate modes as armour - particularly some of the cars and planes. I also think he'd look good With Skyblast - the Saturn 5 rocket in the Space Team stuck out of his chest as a missile. Further testing has revealed that most of the cars and planes look a bit odd but Tidal Wave's Ramjet and the Air Defence Team's Jetstorm are good for the planes. The best car was Downshift from the Race Team transformed into his shield component. Some other good toys for chest armour were odd ones that added weapons to the toy: Iceberg's vehicle with the blades pointing down and the legs extended and facing forward, Waterlog similarly pointing down with the robot legs turned forward and the fans facing front. Best of all was Wreckage - Land Military Team - in tank mode facing down with his missiles over Smoulder's shoulders. But for the love of God don't attach Safeguard pointing downwards with his gun barrel folded up!

Articulation: His ankles - connected to foot & heel spur - bend as do the knees. There's a rotating thigh joint, a universal hip which bends to the sides and turns. No waist swivel I'm afraid but the head's on a ball joint - chances are you'll pop it off so slide it back on through the hole in the back, not underneath. The shoulders shrug upwards at the body and then, via a short connecting piece, turn at the arm. Finally the double bending elbow has a straight bending joint at the top and a ball joint at the bottom.

Smoulder has a third mode - he forms the core of a Powercore combiner. Fold the feet down & back, rotate each leg in 90 degrees and then fold up at the knee so the vehicle roof faces out. Fold the Powercore connectors on the robot's knees so they point straight down. Fold the arms up and the panels down to cover the side of them - a peg on arm matches a hole on the panels at the elbow end of the wheel arch. Essentially that bit is the same as if you're returning to robot mode. Rotate each arm down at the shoulder so the top of the vehicle faces forward then bend up at the shoulder so the sides of the vehicle become the horizontal tops of the shoulders with the robot's shoulder joints locked off. Fold out another Powercore connector from each shoulder. Finally fold down the chest - everything from the black neck piece forward and fold back the robot head into the chest in the process folding up the combined robot head - a fabulous thing with a lightpiped clear orange visor and breathing gear over the faceplate ! The core of the combined robot can then have limbs plugged into it.

Without passing comment on the limbs - I'm using Bombshock's Combaticons here - the combined robot isn't the worst I've seen by a long way. Yes the shoulders are big - 13.5 cm from shoulder joint to shoulder joint - projecting the arms a little way away from the body but that then gives them full clearance to move and apes the similar look found on the standard robot mode. The arms can move - the Powercore connectors at the shoulder turn as do the ones at the knees which do also bend in the right direction. The hips still move in this mode and the new combined robot head is ball jointed like the normal robot head. The chest is unobscured so the peg on the chest can be swung up and used as a mount for chest armour Minicons. The combined robot - using Combaticon legs is about 16 cm high of which 10cm is made up of the core robot. The maximum width - from shoulder missile tip to the gun barrels on the other shoulder is 23 cm - very wide. Broadly - ho, ho - speaking he's a similar size to the new Voyager Seaspray. As a postscript to the combined mode Smoulder can transform back to vehicle mode without passing through robot mode and he can assume vehicle mode with the combined robot head left out although it does stick out the back of the vehicle somewhat.

Overall: Superb toy. Lovely chunky vehicle and robot bringing back some old favourite features and styling plus a decent combined robot torso. Everything I was hoping for from this toy.

19. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure the pictures quite have the combined mode shoulders right - pull them down so the tops are flat and the sides alongside the sides of the body locking off the robot's shoulder joints.

20. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Love your photos and reviews...thanks for posting these.