PCC Skyburst and Aerialbots

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by SharkyMcShark, May 21, 2010.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Picked these up today, and I'm sorry to report that the modern combiner precedent of the aerialbots being shafted continues.

The central Skyburst figure is very reminiscent of the combiner Universe/RotF Silverbolt (and thus Energon Stormjet) in the way it looks in both modes. It's smaller and has a very simple transformation, and doesn't plug together particularly well. However I'm sounding a bit harsh, it's better than I"m giving it credit for so far. Jet mode is sleek looking but rather chunky, and like the Energon combiner mold the combination torso mode looks nice but isn't solid at all. The legs could really have done with somewhere to lock in.

The (camera) left arm, according to the packaging, is a white jet with an AWACS style disc on the back. It looks sort of A10 ish but with no jet engines on the back. It has what I'd describe as a daunting amount of guns. The limb mode is pretty good - the wings fold straight up and then flip down, with fingers molded into the underside of the wings. There's a really nice paint wash effect on the fingers and underside of the wings. It looks nice, but as with all the limb modes it looks very chunky in vehicle mode.

The right arm is a yellow transport chopper. The connection port is on the nose of the chopper, with the front end forming the shoulder and the rear end folding down into an arm, with the tail being a posable claw/thumb thing.

The left leg is some kind of attack helicopter. Mostly in spirit really, as this is very much a points for trying vehicle mode. It is extremely chunky, and to be honest it doesnt really provide that good a limb mode either. Definitely the weakest limb.

The final limb is a very G1 Ramjet looking fighter plane that does a decent amount of transforming when plugged in.

The combined mode isn't very stable. The force you need to plug everything in usually causes the torso to become unlatched, and the fighter jet leg has such a tight mechanism that I had to hold it in the transformed position to slide it into place. The positioning of the legs, and the inadequacy of the feet (did I mention that the feet weren't all that effective?) means you have to pose him in sort of a hunched over position. It looks nice though, and the arms are quite nice.

To be honest I wasn't really that impressed with this. Maybe that's because I got the Combaticons at the same time, and they're a really nice set.

Overall I'd give it 6/10. Locally here it goes for less than a voyager, and to be completely honest I've had voyagers that I've had less fun tinkering with.

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Oh also, just a quick note on the packaging of not only this but the rest of the PCC line - it's very very nice. Gone are twist ties, replaced instead with some kind of fabric twine, and the inside of the box is mode of several plastic trays, with the mini figures on blue plastic and the bigger ones on clear.

It's very nice, most appreciated.

3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. Been plotting purchases, and this set's unfortunately back a notch now. Admittedly, that's not much considering that wave 1 is five things...

Still looking forward to it, though - I would have thought Skyburst's torso mode to be a little more stable than that. Based on Peaugh's video review, it looked like things clipped together pretty well; maybe that was just for the arms though.

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pics please?

Also, interesting about the twist ties!

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Skyburst & The Aerialbots

Those who read my first two Power Core reviews know how much I enjoyed Smoulder & Bombshock. So I had big expectations approaching this pack which I got from China via eBay. Skyburst is a Firefox MIG-31, a fictional Soviet Aircraft from the film Firefox. He's a Scout sized vehicle, moulded in a blue grey plastic similar to Predator Falcon equipped with three sets of fold down landing gear - one under the nose and two under the rear. These are moulded in black plastic as are many of the robot parts. Turning the jet over shows us some blue plastic concentrated round the rear of the jet. Like all Power Core Combiners he has a Minicon port, in this case one in the centre of the top of the jet mode.

TF: Turn the jet over. The arms form the middle of the rear of the jet, with each leg along the outside. Unpeg the legs and fold them and the waist forward so they're projecting out the underside of the nose. Unhook the blue forearms from the back of the jet - each arm has a little hook which is held in place by a loop of plastic. Fold each arm out to the sides. Fold the jet nose and legs down with the notch in the back of the waist fitting into the rear of the jet.

Skyburst's robot mode uses the jet's fuselage for it's chest (jet nose) and back. The upper limbs are all made from black plastic while the lower limbs are formed from the blue lump on the underside of the jet - the same blue plastic is used for his head. The look of the robot mode's nice, very much what you'd expect from a jet Transformer with the nose down the centre of the chest. Some of the fuselage pokes up over his shoulders, but it isn't undetailed panelling, there's some moulded detail on there. Moulding a missile rack into the same space might have been a better use for it though. Articulation is decent: He's got ball jointed hips, shoulders and lower elbows. The upper elbows - always like a toy with double bending elbows - and the knees bend, there's a thigh swivel on each leg and the head turns. The arms end in 5mm peg holes which is always good, but these aren't particularly deep and I don't think the elbows will provide much resistance so I wouldn't want to give him a large weapon to hold. You'll notice that I've not mentioned the Power Core Connectors yet: they're well hidden on this toy not appearing in either jet or robot mode !

So far a decent enough scout class toy. But we've not bought a scout, we've bought an Ultra so what's in the rest of the package to make it up to the price ?

To start with we've got Bombshock's combined robot mode: start by raising the back panel up so it's horizontal above the robot's head. Twist each leg out to the side at the thigh joint and bend each leg at the knee then the hip. The hips should fold upward with tabs that *should* latch inside the jet's nose. They don't. Raise the panel in the middle of the jet/robot's back up, fold up the combined robot head, fold the tail fins with the attached the Power Core connectors for the shoulders out to the sides, fold the rear of the jet down to form the combined robot's back locking into the rear of the hips again but leaving the section attached to the combined mode head in place covering the normal robot head. Fold the folded out panel on the back up. Fold the normal robot arms down to the sides and fold the forearms up over the upper arms. There's a slot on the underside of the upper arms - slide this over the edge of the chest plate. Fold the jet fins the rest of the way forward so they lock onto the elbow of the upper arms - excessive force will be required to get the lock in place but it's a strong one when it's there. Fold down the panel on the front of the chest. Fold the wings back a little way. Finally fold the Power Core connectors for the combined robot legs down from the back of the legs through the bottom of the normal robot's feet.

As with his adversary Bombshock he comes with four legends sized drones. Now I've got the instructions for this set (unlike my Bombshock) so I now know they have official labels.

The Recon Plane Drone looks a little like an A-10 Thunderbolt with a radar dish mounted on the rear. The centre of the top of the dish is a Minicon port. His limb mode is a decent one - a claw like hand with the fingers formed from the wings. Unfortunately he's resisted being attached to Skyburst - the connectors on the shoulders would rather move out the way than go into the socket to operate the auto TF - so fold the wings up and swing them forward which allows the connector to lock on without having to do the TF'ing work.

The Chopper Drone is a yellow helicopter which looks like Cybertron Evac's colours and rear half merged with Cybertron Jolt's cockpit. The look is rather spoilt by the entry port for Power Core connector being placed through the front of the cockpit. His Minicon port is found on the centre point of the rotor blades so any attached Minicon spins round with the blades.This drone will attach a bit better, but his arm mode is a claw with bits of helicopter hanging off it. The shoulder look OK, but the forearm stick out at an odd angle, with the outer half formed from the chopper's tail sticking out to the side even further. This drone has an extra problem that when reverting to vehicle mode the tail tends to catch so needs a little help.

The Combat Helicopter Drone looks a little similar to Autobot Whirl. Again his Minicon port is at the centre of the spinning rotor blades. A dual cannon under the nose tilts down but pass a certain point and it'll fold all the way down. This drone is another that's hard to attach before it's transformed partly due to the mounting of the socket at the rear of the rotor mount at a diagonal angle so pull back on the front of the rotors to activate the TF first. The leg this provides is standing on very little - the front edge of the cockpit, the chin guns as heel spurs and a bit of the guns in the middle which means balance is automatically weakened.

Fighter Jet Drone: This is

Locking these limbs onto Skyburst - who has connectors that do not want to stay pointing in the same direction - is a chore and will quite possibly lead to you popping a wing or back panel off of the core robot. The legs on the combined mode consists of two drones with minimal floor contact plus some hips that refuse to lock in place. The combination is lethal for the combined robot's stability - I swapped the Aerialbot Drone legs for the Combaticon Drone legs and he stood much better. While the recon arm is nice, the helicopter arm is a mess and has spontaneously popped off it's connector twice while I've been writing this. The core body meanwhile has a massive (5mm) gap between the upper and lower torso through which can be seen the normal robot's head. The shoulders in theory should turn and raise up & down while the knees should bend & rotate. But it's a big risk trying this and you'll end up with a toy that falls over and probably comes apart rather than one that holds a pose.

Mix & Match time: Skyburst as a Torso is considerably improved by using the Combaticon drones as limbs, while a Combaticon leg with an Aerialbot leg is an improvement in stability over two Aerialbot legs. I've *just*about* got Bombshock to balance with a Combaticon leg and the reversed Fighter Jet drone leg.

So Overall: Disappointment. He's a decent but not spectacularly good scout (beats Bombshock which is a positive point) But I'm not paying £20-£25 for a scout class plane - ROTF Skystalker's a lot better and he's only £7. The rest of the package - odd Torso with poor connectors:whoever let them bend down at the shoulder should be shot. It's a severe let down compared to the Combaticons.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Skyburst is alright. The two issues I take with them are that some of the limbs don't really stay attached well, and that I hate how some of the parts on the drones just flop around. The panel on the back of Skyburst is pretty loose, too. He would have been really neat if not for those two issues.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  7. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    No doubt about it, the Aerialbots are turds. I mainly got them because I wanted to have a range of drones, but the Recon Plane Drone is the only one that does its job AND doesn't look like ass. I hate the Fighter Jet Drone's bizarre angled parts.....It makes the combiner look like he's permanently bending his knee even when he's not, and the crappy "foot" prevents the combiner from standing up straight. The Attack Helicopter Drone doesn't even have anything that could pass for a foot. The yellow Chopper Drone is the worst limb of all, longer than any other and ugly as hell. I really hope the drones get better from here because there are already plenty from these two sets that I never want to use again.

As for Skyburst, he is probably the second-worst torso from the wave. He looks better as a combiner than Smolder, but his limb connectors have way too many joints that just flop around while you're trying to attach the drones. Very annoying. And it still seems like they put way more thought into the engineering of his torso mode than they did for his robot mode. This set is a guaranteed shelfwarmer.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I opened these last night, and I gotta disagree about stability. The positioning of the legs is a little odd to the eye, but when properly placed, his balance is rock solid. Try bending the knee ever so slightly for the Ramjet-looking drone leg, so the fins and thrusters form a tripod foot with a wide heel. Then swing the enture leg forward and bend the knee ever so slightly on the attack chopper leg. This evens his height out precisely.

Even with the fighter-drone not fully deployed and that leg only standing on the thruster tips though, his stability was excellent. Is everyone locking the core robot's thighs into the hips as intended?

9. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I like Skyburst alot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But he is just to lanky and hollow. Apart of the added fists / splayed hands, I've decided to add random gundam bits to him to bulk him up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I want a random bulked up one...

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He's ok, but I prefer bombshock better

12. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is a terrible set. Silverbolt (that's who he is to me, sorry) is just OK as a standalone figure, but I found his wings and back panel like to pop off a bit too easily.

The combining gimmick is downright awful in every respect. The drones don't make decent looking vehicles, they don't make decent looking limbs (the legs don't really turn into limbs at all, they just morph into broken aircraft), they don't peg to the core robot easily and they feel kind of junky. Once together it's hard to balance and nearly impossible to put in any kind of pose. I would have hated this set as a kid.

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am sticking to Commander figures.
    so if Bombshock or Skyburst get the 2 pack treatment, i will get. but i am not getting any 5 packs.

thanks for input and pictures. it helped make my decision easier.

14. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I wish there was some sort of 4 pack for non-factional drones for the commander series. I'd like to pickup a pack to go with my Huffer figure. The 5 pack assortments just don't seem that, well, good.

I'm hoping that there will be a repaint of Huffer into Motormaster and him paired with the "Rallybot" drones. But, the more I see of this figure and assortment, the more interested I get. I don't care for the primary robot, though...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Is it just me or does his transformation seem very familiar? Seems like a g2 Cyberjet, Cybertron Windrazor, etc..

16. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's been known for a while, and pics have been shown, but Wave 3 has the current Wave 1 molds mixed up. Huffer will be black, and Inferno blue (IIRC), and they will be in 5-packs. Their limbs will each contain 2 Aerialbot and 2 Combaticon molds in new colors. Skyburst, Bombshock, and Searchlight will all be recolored as part of 2-packs, with the Mini-Cons mixed up.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Just got these guys... ugh!

I was already sort of cynical about the drone gimmick, but I managed to get a good price on the big PCC sets, so I tried them out. Holy crap... I do NOT like these drone limbs. They sucks as vehicles, they suck as limbs, and the pop-out gimmick (when it works) does not really add much play value. Even if a "limb" doesn't look like anything more than random junk, it would be nice if they at least had a little bit of articulation. Nope, sorry. nothing.

All I can say about this set is that Skyburst himself is an okay scout figure... especially if you mis-transform him a bit. I discovered that I like him better transformed with his large head out, and his shoulders bulked out.

zmog

18. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    i just got these guys for reviewing on ActionFigurePics.com and surprisingly, I like them. I had been avoiding PCC like the plague, but now that I have some, I can see the appeal. The only problem i have with Skyburst is his back panel likes to flop down, but otherwise he's pretty solid. The drones are a little akward at times, but not bad. I thought id like him better with Backwind as the commander, but found that he looked too short.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is just to show his head does turn as a couple mentioned they didn't think it did :

[​IMG]

20. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Just got him yesterday. I think he's my favorite of the three 5-packs I have.