Customs: PCC Huffer to "Generations" Huffer . . . Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    This Ill have to keep track of. Good Luck!

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Would'nt even worry about it , he does'nt really look like Huffer anyway :lol 
    Hasbro just tacked the 'Huffer' name on him pretty much.

3. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I saw this today and I made me think of huffer.

[​IMG]

The recessed head especially, and if I trimed the guns and plow off the alt mode it could work. I might even modify the arms to be more "pipeish" and get a new headsculpt.

Plus its a scout, so it fits in with my goal of having the minibots be scout sized.

So my alternate scout sized minibots are currently

powerglide from a repainted energon superion limb
    scattorshot/firetrap into Huffer
    beachcomber from the walmart exclusive repaint (i could touch him up more)

its a start!

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Personally Huffer isn't Huffer without his head... uh, thing he had going on.

The alternate transformation for Bendy Prime with different head works, but the arm articulation is funky and personally I want him to be a scout....

*crosses fingers for Gen. Huffer*

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    While I see what both of you are saying (and I think each could work), my goal with this thread is to throw out ideas on ol' PCC Huffer here. What does he need to make him look less "movie-ish"? Is the head change enough? Is it worth it?

Also, another point with this thread (and a few others like it) is that I like to pick things that are readily available to most everyone. This is so that if the project "works", it's not just me doing it. I think it's cool to take something like this that is clogging the place everywhere and see what we can do with it :) 

6. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

the funny thing is when i saw "huffer" i thought that make a great motormaster with some tweaks

7. KowBot

KowBot Well-Known Member

8. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Actually I thought that too, but apparently he's getting a black "Menasor" repaint...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    making him a stub nose that goes beyond the front of the truck would help, t would totally do away with transformation though unless it was designed in such a way that the shoulders would still peg in, this would disable the head flipping but with the small head removed and a new one on the combiner ball joint you would have a head recessed within the truck hood and a more G1 alt mode.

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    . . . . which all really have little to do with the thread topic (Customs: PCC Huffer to "Generations" Huffer . . . Thoughts?). However, are you guys saying that you don't see this mold as "HUFFER" nor any type of conversion? If so, that's totally cool with me; just tell me why not :) 

Well, I'm totally fine with the alt mode, as I think it's a decent update for Huffer. I don't see him as one of those bots that's totally locked into a specific alt mode, per se. I think if I were to do that, I'd either customize a Cyb Armorhide mold, or just skip customs and go with a Botcon Huffer.

11. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

sorry allen.was just making my observation.honestly its the bot mode that just doesn't scream huffer more than anything.

12. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Sorry about that Rev., just replying to GP's comment about Huffer to Motormaster... I'm fine with PCC Huffer's alt. mode, and agree with you about him needing some 'tweaks' to be a good Gen. Huffer... I've made a few comments in the thread about my opinions for mods to the figure, and am otherwise keeping tabs on the thread to see what others come up with as well...

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's cool, guys. I just saw the topic spiraling off-topic, and redirecting.

The bot mode certainly doesn't scream "HUFFER" as is, but I think with my suggestions and a new head, it could work. I still don't think it would be jaw-droppingly awesome, but I think it would be sufficient enough for me :) 

14. Methusalen

News Credits:
    [*Best 'Altered Beast' voice*] RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE! [/voice]

OK, I have been giving this a little thought (since I was thinking of buying a matching-yellow-painted hooded figure anyway)...

I think that modifying the lower arms would help with the G1 Huffer homage.
    I pointed out before that if you were to shorten them a little bit, matching them to the height of the roof; they'd make a convincing (albeit extended) sleeper compartment for the semi... -I'm not a fan of how the transformation has them resting on the rear of the semi, since attaching him to a trailer wouldn't work well (way too tall!)...

Secondly, simplify the arms! I was thinking of keeping the hands, but replace the arms themselves with a simpler 'pipe-like' arm... That'd kind of match up with the already pipe-like upper arms, then paint both silver to homage the smokestack arms of the G1 figure!

Thoughts?

15. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I found something that helps a couple weeks back...I finally purchased the third party kit for Universe Inferno (the one with the ladder)...so after attaching the new ladder I had Inferno's "water" gun next to PCC Huffer on the shelf...so the idea then came to me...

I was able to push the "water" gun onto Huffer's arm peg...so now he has a nice looking BFG weapon...

I'll post pics tonight if I can remember...

16. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Here are the pictures...makes for a pretty good weapon imo...

Attached Files:

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh wow, that looks cool!

Now, about the other ideas we were discussing in this thread . . . .

18. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I think we're gonna need us a bigger head... I unscrewed the gestalt head, popped off the smaller robot head (leaving a little stress mark along the seam where it was glued together... whoops!), and placed the little head on the larger balljoint.
    Honestly? It looked...odd somehow. I think the head needs to be just a to be a smidge larger (and maybe a little less ...Bayformer-ish, more 'classic'/G1-ish).

However, this might change a little bit after the original balljoint is removed, and the hinged one is moved up (more towards the existing head's position)?

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, I want to use a new head entirely. Neither head that Huffer has cuts it for me. I think with a new head and the minor changes I suggested earlier, we could have us a easy "Classics" Huffer with this lil' guy :) 

Thanks for your help, Meth :thumb 

20. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, here we go! Using SQ7's handy reference pictures, I removed the smaller head's balljoint by cutting off the plastic 'nubs' that the head's balljoint rotates on, trimmed away at the inside 'guide rails' the gestalt head slides on (letting the big balljoint move further down the track to the same location where the little balljoint/head originally sat)...

Behold, crappy cameraphone pics!

Prior to cutting, swapped the heads around...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After some exploratory surgery:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Don't mind the blob of tape holding the front of the head to the big balljoint.)
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: After taking the pics I've since trimmed more of the plastic from the front of the semi, flush down to the bumper; the big balljoint now sits in THE SAME position the original robot's head sat

The only obvious drawback of removing the smaller balljoint that the head used to be on? The big gaping hole under the grill in truck mode!
    [​IMG]
    Now, filling in the bumper (and the hole in the chest) won't be a problem, but the portion above it (where you'd expect to see more of the grill) is where the head goes... We'll have to come up with something that will be able to blend in with the grill, but will either sit low enough to be out of the way of the sliding head panel; or maybe some kind of 'hinged grill' that would fold down in vehicle mode (but be able to fold up over the existing grill so the head can fold out in robot mode)?

Thoughts?

Also, since I had the head off anyways, I figured I'd see what he looked like with Cyb. Armorhide's head on his shoulders...
    [​IMG]
    I don't know how feasible it'd be to do it this way, since the head is molded with a balljoint... We have a definite lack of sockets... :p 

Attached Files: