Customs: PCC Huffer to "Generations" Huffer . . . Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ok, so if the thread title didn't mislead ya, I bought PCC Huffer with the sole intention of integrating him into my Classics-Generations collection. The main problem that I see is his head. Now, my impulse is to just swap out the smaller head with say one from the Cyb Armorhide mold (which was used for the Botcon Huffer afterall). Well, to make life more complicated than it is, I got to playing around with the PCC combiner head transformation. I've since removed the PCC combiner head, and I really like how the hood opens up to reveal his head (let's face it, his overall transform is really too simple).

Anyways, I thought it would be fun to have a group discussion on this. I think it would be a pretty simple custom to take on, but the result would end up looking cool. I'm always looking for things that people of all skill levels can jump on anyways :)  [See my Tuner Mudflap thread for more].

Here are some pictures, you know since pictures are pretty:

Our ol' G1 pal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Botcon Huffer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . . and the culprit in question:

[​IMG]

All images courtesy of our own TFW2005.com Resources :) 

2. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    could you use one of the energon maximus helicopter heads? with a repaint obviously

the light piping would be orange though.

im having a hard time remembering what he looked like from the cartoon

3. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

i'd trim the horns off and shave down the goggles to resculpt optics

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hmm . . . I hadn't considered that, honestly. I'd think an Energon bot might work. I'll have to check around for a donor! :lol 

My bad! I meant to post that as well:

[​IMG]

"We're not fighters like they are, Prime!" ~Huffer's infamous line of courage!

Well, the problem with either head PCC already has is that it looks too movie-ish for me.

If you end up doing it, be sure to post your work :thumb 

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I was trying to find a way to swap heads on PCC Huffer as well. My first thought was '07 Target Scout Armorhide. His head is the perfect size, the mold was already repainted into Huffer so the sculpt works and the shade of black is pretty much identical.

The problem is it would require heavy modding because the head is molded onto the ball peg.

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i was looking at my spare swindel from the energon maximus yestarday thinking this exact same thing cause i was trying to decide if i wanted to sell them or use them for parts

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Ok, maybe this will help illustrated my brief, little idea thus far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, this is just me doing a little bit of thinking and piddling around with this mold. I thought about putting a different head on the ball joint and having the fold out piece slide in.

Attached Files:

8. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Yep, I hate PCC Huffer's head. He looks like he has a bad case of acne. I had been hounding Venksta to make a new head for him.

Its also pretty tough to get Huffer's head off. His head is on a pretty small ball joint and was wondering if there are any other Transformer head that are on a similar ball joint size?

I was thinking a talented customizer could probably give him the orange hood over his head as well, seeing as their are orange shoulder clips above his arms.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I'd think if I did what I've illustrated above that the space allowed in the engine area would permit to not only have a better head, but also room for a faux hood over his head (kinda like Motormaster). Also, it would require totally removing that hinge the smaller head is on anyways, totally circumventing the need to remove that head from it's ball joint.

10. defstar

defstar Autobot...

His head seems fine to me...he just needs a hood... :popcorn 

11. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, good thing you started this thread Allen! :D 

All a long, I had thought I would need to make the new head attach where the base figure's head goes. Seeing some of the cool points SQ7 made, I can actually try making the new head attach to the combiner head's joint. The only thing it would ruin, is the combiner mode. But I doubt most people would care. I'm going to be reconsidering this now. A faux hood would be cool. And some purple reprolabels to complete the look. :thumb 

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    My long distance love affair with you continues :D 

I really think that when some would take this figure and see the potential of this being able to be converted to a cool, "Classics" Huffer with pretty minimal alterations it could catch on a bit :) 

I would like to point out, though, that even removing the excess plastic could potentially be complicated for a few. That being said, I really see this figure and what I've pointed out a good "stepping stone" for some who haven't really tried their hand at modifying things permanently on figures before.

Also, on a bit more of a technical note, I think it would be a lot easier to just get a rotary tool and start slicing a bit. The screw that holds that hinge in is located behind the front right wheel. Sorry, but that pin really ain't worth that much to me to remove first. Plus, cuttin' is more fun :lol 

13. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I have to subscribe to this thread now... I love Huffer, but even *I* was thinking about how to make him more 'Huffer-esque'!!!!

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sq, can you post pics of how you were talking about the mistransformation you came up with? I'd like to see what you're talking about my friend.

15. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

This is tough one for me. I have to say is you do whatever to make this PCC Huffer look like G1 Huffer. I wish I could give some advice, but right now I don't. So good luck Sq7 on your project and keep us updated.

16. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I know the one obvious thing you'd have to do to make Huffer...well, Huffer. Just get rid of the Power Core pegs.

17. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    One thing that I've wondered about would be his arms. I *hate* how they lay flat on the back end of the truck, and think it would have been an improvement in the figure if they'd have changed that up... I've thought of changing the arms up and folding them up behind the cab (like an extended sleeper). In my opinion it'd look like it'd work, but you'd have to shorten the forearms, or make the fists fold into the arm (ala the Classic Seekers)...

Example:
    [​IMG]

Of course, if you're leaving the black plastic on them, you'll probably have to swap them around onto the opposite arm, so the black plastic encloses the arms...
    Example 2 (w/ arms swapped):
    [​IMG]

Also, if we wanted to leave his head (or at least a replacement one) in it's current location, we might be able to use the hood (or at least the space underneath occupied by the combiner head) and use it as a pseudo-hood, to give Huffer that "My head's under a cab" look that we all love from G1... ?

Finally, when the combiner pegs are removed, then we'll have to come up with some kind of replacement heelspur to keep him able to stand upright w/o tipping over backwards...
    Just a few thoughts I've had.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The things I have came up with are what I have posted. My suggestion is to remove the smaller head and its hinge to allow the combiner head's neck joint+plate to slide further forward. This would also warrant another head, one that is less "movie-ish".

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I really, really disagree here.

The fandom needs to lose the mentality that you need overly complex, mind-bending transformations. Huffer is exceedingly simple, but he looks great in both modes and it works to his advantage.

I'm going to try and give Hufefr Armourhide's head, maybe paint it balck on the back, dark blue on the front. I don't dislike his current head, but it looks like he has some kinda mustache and goggles.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I think you took my point and ran with it to a place unintended. Basically for me, this figure would benefit a lot from a telescoping leg transform. That's hindered with the PCC combiner leg transform though, so I understand it from that perspective. Also, I'd like the feet to flip out.

While I tend to like very complex and involved transformations on a lot of figures, I also like the very simplistic, well-done schemes as well. I mean, I've been finishing up my G1 collection for the last 2 years. :lol 

Essentially, my thoughts with this thread here is also that while I tend to like the Minibots to be at least deluxe size with Classics-Generations (sorry, Bumblebee spoiled me!), I do like Huffer still being just a tiny bit shorter. Huffer is just barely shorter than Bumblebee, but he doesn't feel like a basic.