PCC: Heavytread with Groundspike

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by zephon, Dec 14, 2010.

1. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Supposedly coming out at 2011, the Power Core Combiner 2-pack of Heavytread with Groundspike can now be found on shelves this latter part of 2010. When pictures of the new PCC's following the first re-paint wave came out, a lot of people associated Heavytread with the Decepticons. Lo and behold! On track with the trend of the "good guys" assuming fighting forms, Heavytread is aligned with the Autobots.
    [​IMG]

The back of the packaging shows Heavytread and his minicon partner Groundspike. As a delimiter, discussion will focus on Heavytread.
    [​IMG]
    One of the issues I had with this set is Groundspike's robot weapon mode -- the picture above shows Heavytread holding something like a and animal's hoof for a weapon. More on that as we go along.

Heavytread's alt mode is fittingly a modern battle tank. The alt mode has a very sleek hug-the-ground profile that's perfect for modern tanks. It's pretty solid as panels hinge or peg into place. No working treads here -- just the usual 4 wheels under the tank.
    [​IMG]

The only kibble one can see from the top would be the Power Core Combiner ports seen at the back of the tank. This doesn't ruin the overall look though. Make the tank seem to be part of some U.N. force with those touches of light blue colors.
    [​IMG]

Groundspike's vehicle weapon mode is an add-on plow attached to the front of the tank. He's attached via minicon peg located at the front of the tank.
    [​IMG]

Groundspike adds a melee-weapon look to the sleek and mean silhouette of Heavytread. It's a good contrast to the long-range firepower image made by the tank. The combination fits very well and doesn't look "forced" in any way.
    [​IMG]

Being a scout-class 'bot, Heavytread's transformation is unique yet in a way quite familiar: The rear of the vehicle becomes the lower torso, the front becomes the upper torso with the front side panels forming the arms. The turret is flipped to the back to make room for head. Very much like the Combaticon Brawl!
    [​IMG]
    Here's me fooling around with a Gerwalk mode.

Heavytread forms a nicely proportioned scout-class 'bot. He's got the traditional "turret-at-the-back" look used mostly in transforming tanks. He's got a good range of motion about him -- knees, elbows, shoulders, thigh swivel, waist swivel and his head is on a ball-joint. Missing would be bicep swivel.
    [​IMG]

One of my concerns when I first saw his hands is whether or not he can hold the standard peg weapons. The answer is "yes". Note that the kibble (formed by tank treads) around his fists get in the way when attaching a weapon. The screw inside the fist hole won't interfere with his wielding a weapon as much as the tank tread kibble does.
    [​IMG]
    Double Target Master mode ala-G1 Quake hehe.

As shown in the packaging, Heavytread is packaged with the minicon Groundspike...whose robot weapon mode resembles some kind of animal hoof. I would lay the blame on Heavytread's weapon-arm angle. The key here is to imagine "Wolverine's claws" -- Groundspike as a claw is attached to the back of the hand (and not held) giving Heavytread a "Savage Claw" mode.
    [​IMG]

With that in mind, Groundspike's robot weapon mode doesn't look that bad now, does it?
    [​IMG]

The key here is that the right arm has a hole specially designed for 5mm pegs. This is not present on the left arm of Heavytread.
    [​IMG]

The chest plate armor mode of Groundspike is also quite decent. Though it makes the front part of the robot look longer, the minicon actually looks like a chest plate and not like some random robot hugging the chest area.
    [​IMG]

I can easily close the discussion on Heavytread here and give him a 5/5 score. He's a darn good looking solid tank (army building anyone?) and a robot mode that's just screaming "G1 Brawl". It's a good think PCC's have small faction stickers -- despite being tagged as an Autobot, this guy is as good as any Decepticon out there!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, just to cover all aspects of the toy, Heavytread has a commander mode as well -- the power-up mode head is also located on the chest where the smaller head collapses to.
    [​IMG]

In an interesting twist, the tank's turret breaks up into some sort of back-pack in power-up mode. It's basically Heavytread's front and back part in tank mode that's folded in half. The upper torso is held solidly by the same pegs that hold the tank together.
    [​IMG]

Now here's the problem -- if you're gonna play faction-pure, what are you going to use on Heavytread? Aerialbot drones? Rallybot drones? Protectobot drones? Dinobots? Well, on the other side of the fence, Heavytread feels right at home with the Combaticon drones.
    [​IMG]

As a parting shot, sometimes I can't help but wonder if this guy was really meant to be an Autobot. As he is, he'll blend instantly with the Decepticons. People may want to color him red to make a G1 Warpath or whoever Autobot tank there is but the fact remains that despite his faction sign, he's a homage in form and color to G1 Brawl.
    [​IMG]

2. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Nice review - Thanks for reviewing a tf I'm impatiently waiting for!
    can't wait to get this little guy! Hope he shows up in Montreal before xmas!

3. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great review! Really looking forward to this one now.

4. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

Hmm, I wonder what he looks like alongside the Bruticus Maximus figures - he looks like he would make a great replacement Brawl for that set...

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Even with all the similarities to Brawl, he'll be my Guzzle.

6. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ssshhhh someone from Fans Project might hear you and decide to further upgrade their Crossfire set....

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great! What are his stats?

8. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

Nice review. Just gets me even more excited to pick this guy up. Liking the minicon claws.

9. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pics. He looks pretty awesome. I like the headsculpt the best.

10. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

With a few mods the Searchlight/Wind Burn (? I can't remember if that's the repaints name or not) mold could make a new Vortex as well, then all the original limbs could be replaced :p  I really wish I'd gotten a Crossfire set now...

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm really digging this guy, and I hope we get a more familiar-looking character with the, I presume, repaint. It's not enough to get me to start buying PCC's for limbs, but enough to maybe chop off his blue plugs and use him as an Autobot grunt. Or maybe transplant his head onto ROTF Brawl.

12. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Has anybody seen these at US retail anywhere yet? I need like 4-5 of them!

13. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

As with Mindset & Hailstorm - Hasbro are messing with our heads again is his Repaint going to be a Decepticon called Guzzle or Warpath then ? - 'Patagh' !¬

14. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This and the jet are the only two PCC's I'll be buying. No luck whatsoever with the two 5-packs I wasted money on, so the 'commanders' will be the only PCC purchases for me in the foreseeable future.

Liking the tank mode, as it's a really cool futuristic (almost Baneblade) styled vehicle. The bot mode is pretty nice as well.
    Cut off the PCC crap, and it looks to be an awesome little figure.
    Definite Warpath potential, seeing as how Huffer came from the same line.

15. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

PPC 5 packs are not something you want to be paying £20.00 / $20.00 for ; I can agree on that Double-Clutch especially - though he's working fine now I reinforced his elbows with some blobs of resin. his arms don't pop out now.
    I think most people would want to get at least some drones if only due to curiosity. it's a shame that the best drones come with the worst commanders though.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Just got in Heavytread and Skyhammer today. Opened up Heavytread. This guy is awesome. He's a nice solid feeling tank-bot, with some clever transformation steps involved. I am personally very found of the way that the "core" mode transformation works - the arms fold up brilliantly, and have a really nice transformation to them. The large head has a brilliant reveal since the smaller head comes out the back of it.

The leg on my Groundspike does pop out rather often, though, so I need to be careful there. But overall, he is a nice toy. One of the best of the line for sure, and if you're not into Power Core Combiners, I say check him out anyway - he's a nice stand-in for G1 Brawl.

17. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah my groundspike was giving me grief too both lehs keep popping off mine.

18. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Seems to be par for the course as mine has a problem with the left leg

19. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

he reminds me of Guzzle (wonder if that was the intent, oh well, I shall call him Guzzle)

20. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Just got mine from BBTS. Easily the best PCC Commander of the lot of them. I'd go so far as to say he's plenty awesome even without the combiner mode.

Something that I don't think has been mentioned in the other reviews is that you can swing his combiner back kibble around in robot mode to make either a shoulder cannon or a hip cannon.

Say it with me. Kapow.

Attached Files: