Heavy/Scratch: PCC Defensor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Altitron, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    This idea of mine started as I was browsing through TRU one night about two weeks ago, taking in all of the PCCs that they had in stock there. I hadn't seen very many customs on the boards that utilized these guys, and I was extremely curious to see if I could make any meaningful use of them. Not long after I proposed this project to a few friends, I was informed that Ramrider has an item in his Shapeways account that allows for PCC Commander figures to combine with one another [ Combiner sockets plus bonus piece by Drawn-Steel Hero on Shapeways ]. With that in mind, it dawned on me that I would be able to incorporate the 'Scramble City' feature Defensor boasted back in the day.

Here's a run down of the team line up:

Blades - Searchlight
    First Aid - Stakeout
    Streetwise - Double Clutch
    Groove - Cybertron Hightail/Lugnutz with minor modifications (and yes, I know that this is not a PCC figure. :D  )
    Hot Spot - Crankcase, with some modifications.

I believe that this method may solve a typical combiner issue of having one Leader-class member amongst a group of Deluxe-class figures. Unfortunately, the vehicles don't exactly scale realistically to one another as a result, but when has this ever stopped Hasbro in the past? One option that I entertained was demoting Groove to *Master status and introducing a 6th member - but just like with all of my other 'bashes, I wanted to maintain G1 integrity as much as possible.

The most obvious violator of true scale here is Groove. Ironically, the alt mode is the real reason that I went with this particular mold over others. It will be the easiest to convert to a proper highway patrol bike, in my opinion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, onto the juicy combiner stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that any of the four subordinate Protectobots could potentially be on leg or arm duty, so I will have to engineer feet and such to meet each of the possible combinations and whatever flaws each of those pairings present.

I'm waiting on a Micromaster Overload that I purchased from Ebay to arrive. [ Overload (1989) - Autobot Troop Transport - www.tfu.info ] I plan on utilizing the trailer to extend Hot Spot's back end out, making him a much more believable fire engine. It will also provide the necessary surface area to install a ladder. As Overload's trailer is mostly just a shell that folds apart, I should have a place to store the combiner head, fists, and feet when they are not being used.

Also, it was brought to my attention when I originally proposed this idea to some of my friends that Defensor would look dimunitive in comparison to his Decepticon counterparts. And indeed, with the figures that I have listed, Defensor would admittedly be on the small size in relation to most of the combiners that we are typically accustomed to seeing. There is a line of thought that I had hatched up to help explain this size disparity between an Autobot and Decepticon combiner. I was thinking that the Autobot combiners wouldn't be so much about weilding sheer size and brute strength to overcome an opponent, but would be moreso about utilizing the unique capabilities of the gestalt's respective component members to a higher degree of quality, sacrificing girth and force for dexterity, mobility, and finesse. Unlike the Decepticons, the Autobot gestalts would not only be fielded for combat, but would also serve humanitarian relief and disaster response roles just as frequently. Albeit physically smaller, the more adept and deft Autobot combiners would be much better suited for handling these responsibilities than their titanic Decepticon cousins, who are engineered to cause as much wanton destruction as possible.

Sooo... yeah. There ya go. Cheers, fellas.

- Alty

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      512.8 KB
      Views:
  2. MisfitRobot

MisfitRobot Robot Fighter

News Credits:
    you and I are heading down the same road :) 

I'm trying a very similar Defensor

I will watch yours very eagerly to see how it turns out.
    It looks like you're off to a great start!

3. RyanUybengkee

RyanUybengkee Well-Known Member

good luck Alty, hope you pull this off coz im excited to see the final one!

Ryan

4. knockoff

knockoff Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks super promising :)  good luck with this.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    LOVE this concept!

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm glad to see you finally posting this! :)  I think this is going to turn out very well, bud :thumb 

7. Altitron

Ebay:
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. As always, I'm very open to ideas and suggestions, especially since this guy is still very much in the planning stages.

Your Groove is sensational! I think Hooper X summed up my reaction the best:

:D 

- Alty

8. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

have you considered useing energon storm jets entire shoulders as plug socket style combiner ports?

9. Altitron

Ebay:
    No, I hadn't. I meant for this to be a PCC-only love affair. :) 

- Alty

10. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    Simply amazing. And thank you. I've been going nuts trying to figure out what to use for streetwise. You're a genious!