PC Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Takao, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alright, apparently my PC was turned off improperly, with someone pressing the button rather then shutting it off. This has been done before, but this time something bad happened, when I went to boot my PC today, it gave me a message like "Windows was not able to boot properly..." and gave me a bunch of options like "Start Windows In Safe Mode", "Start Windows Normally", and such, but when I entered each one it would loop me back to that. I believe all I have for this PC is it's Restore CDs, but I don't want to lose all my stuff. Please someone, help!

2. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well instead of choosing an option did you let the time run out so it could reboot itself?

3. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, and it just goes back to the same screen after showing my Computer manufacter's logo, and Windows XP loading Screen.

4. soundwave86

News Credits:
    Did you try turning it off and turning it on again, then trying one of the options? Usually that worked for my pc's

5. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can do is turn the power off with the power button, and remove the power cord, I've done both to no avail. I believe I may need to do a Repair Instal, but I don't have an XP CD since my PC was bought with XP installed from the manufacter.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    So you're saying that no matter what it chooses, it reboots? Does it actually start loading windows at all? Can you hear a "click" noise when it reboots?

7. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

If you can get a windows CD, you should be able to use recovery console and rebuild the OS. If anything you won't lose your data that way. But it has been about 2 years since I did tech support. So I don't remember all the steps, but Recovery Console this should help there :D 

Good luck

8. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it goes to the screen right before the user pops up, but instead of going to the users screen, it just goes back to the "Sorry For the Inconveniance, but Windows has encountered a problem starting up..." or something. It's depressing me.

9. soundwave86

News Credits:
    Do you leave your computer on all the time.

10. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Can't you even use Safe mode?

11. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, safe mode wont work, just reverts me to the "Sorry For The Inconvience, but Windows has encountered a problem and couldn't start properly" or something like it screen.

And my computer wasn't on for more then 7 hours when that happened. I hope it wasn't because of that.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Try the "last known good configuration" (or somesuch wording) option on the screen you keep getting. This is basically a snapshot of how the PC was the last time it successfully booted all the way into Windows. Failing that, boot into the recovery console and try the "fixmbr" & "fixboot" commands.
    If those don't work, you're probably best off reinstalling Windows. If you have enough disk space you can install a new install of Windows onto the same drive as before; this will mean you don't lose any data. However I'd reccommend doing this, backing up everything you want to keep, then reformatting the drive and reinstalling from scratch just to be on the safe side.
    Another good idea to use from now on is to keep Windows on one hard drive partition, and save everything onto another; this will mean that if Windows screws up again you won't lose everything if you have to reformat your drive.

13. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How do I get into Recovery Console, I was under the impression I needed the XP install CD? As the last good configuration date thing doesn't work either.

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    He cant back up anything if he cant even get it to boot.