PC Help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jdre_124, Sep 6, 2007.

1. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Recently my Home PC has been acting strange. It runs extremly slowly at times and all these strange pop ups keep coming up for some bogus virus protection program. Even if I click close the SOB pops up another screen and while it doesnt keep doing this it then sometimes freezes up my bottom windows toolbar so I cant see it along with my background. This seems to be limited to one username. There are 3 on the com and some experience some of the problems but not as much as this one username. I used to have some Norton Antivirus and I think it has expired but now my com seems to be under assault. Even here I am not safe. I get instead of the top ad for TFers T-shirts I get generic click here ad. Right now I am fine because I am on a different com but my home com is a pain in the ass. Any suggestions?? Reboot?? Get more anitvirus software?? I know alot of you guys are tech wizards on here.

2. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

check your add & remove programs, in the control panel, for a suspicious program that shouldn't be there.

an anti virus wont help you. most likely your browser has been hijacked. try deleting things in options, for your browser and erase all history and cookies.

get a "hijacker" fix from the web it may help you. I believe it is curable I just can't remember exactly how to stop it.

The sudden pop-ups and slowness will go away once you do fix it tho I know that. When my computer did that, I just reformatted my hard-drive, but I have some back-ups and some stupid programs that I just dont care about, or are easy to Download and get again.

try this site for a program called hijackthis.

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10379544.html

In my 20 years of computing, Ive NEVER had any spyware, malware, anti-whatnot crap. Its a waste of money I personally believe and you are (in my opinion) better off without that extra buttload of crap. Norton, symantec, blah blah, blahhhhh. A waste of harddrive space.

I kno what happened, you went on some site and accidentally clicked on a pop-up unintentionally and it gave you the bug. If youve already got anti-spyware on your rig, and it doesnt remove it....what good is it?

3. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    So delete everything on my browser and if that doesnt work reformatt the hard drive?? Ok thanks. I will try that tonight.

4. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

well reformat if you dont want to keep anything on your harddrive.......

if you reformat, and judging by your post I don't really think you know how.....but it will erase everything.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Just run some anti spyware programs one it (for example search and destroy) often, this will fix problems like the one you are describing.

6. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Disable System Restore (right click My Computer, select properties, click System Restore, and then check the checkbox)

Download your arsenal. Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spy-Sweeper by Webroot and PC-Tools Spyware Doctor. Don't download anything that isn't those exact products, even if the name is similar. There's lots of fraudulent crap out there. You'll need to download the trial versions of Spy-Sweeper and Spyware Doctor, unless you want to pay. Spy-Sweeper is my favorite for protection.

Install them, update them.

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 when the computer is booting, and select the Safe Mode option. Run your scans, clean everything up.

Reboot, clean out MSCONFIG. Run the program from Run in the Start Menu. Select the startup tab and cleanout the crap. Don't touch any of the other tabs. You'll want to research some of the stuff if you're not sure what it is. I believe CastleCops has some good info on that. It's been a long time since I've needed to check.

HijackThis is also a good tool to use for your final cleanup. But do your homework before deleting anything with it. Additionally, the option to Reset Internet Explorer through Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset button is fantastic, if you've got IE7.

When clean, install all Windows Updates. All. Download and install Firefox. It'll help keep you safe.

For extra protection, don't ever visit Myspace again, or any other sites that promise anything free.