PC help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Murc, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Murc

Murc Go Irish!

My computer has gotten slower recently, and I think it might be a virus. I noticed that in the bottom-right corner my little Java logo (coffee cup) isn't on the taskbar anymore. I then noticed when I tried to run limewire it popped up for about a second then would fail to load. After trying to start it about 10 times a Java window popped up saying something about an error with limewire. What exactly does Java do? Could it not running be the reason my computer has slowed down. I made sure the Java stuff was installed, but I don't know how to open it, it doesn't open when it is restarted either.

EDIT: I've done a few tests with AVG and it didn't find a virus.

2. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Could be any number of things. What OS are you running? If it's Windows XP, Make sure all programs are closed and press CTL + Shift + ESC to open your Task Manager. See if anything is taking up significant amounts of your resourcer (Processor or memory usage). That'll might tell you if something is running in the background consuming resources. Some programs that use Jave aren't compatible with the latest version. for instance, a program we use here at work has a Java app module, and when I upgraded Java to a newer version that the included instance, it broke the whole program. I had to back Java to the previous one. I don't know if limewire is like that or not.

3. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

Defragment your hard drive (make sure no other programs are running)
    Antivirus software can slow down your performance considerably.
    You can always add more memory!

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, Java updates have screwed up my computer more than once. Try uninstalling the newest updates for it.

Also make sure no programs you don't recognize are starting up with windows. Hit start, run, and type "msconfig". Look under the startup tab and make sure you know what all those programs are doing. Uncheck any that look suspicious.

5. Murc

Murc Go Irish!

After I uninstall Java should I download a new version? I looked at their site and there were multiple downloads and I didn't have the slightest clue what to download.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Don't uninstall it entirely, just start by checking for java updates in add/remove - usually there are stand-alone updates that can be uninstalled.